June 17th, 2008

Obama praises new hire - estranged ex-Clinton campaign manager

(CNN) – Barack Obama had high praise Tuesday for Hillary Clinton’s former campaign manager, who recently joined his campaign as chief of staff for his yet-unnamed running mate.

“Patti Solis Doyle I think is a terrific, experienced campaign hand,” Obama told reporters aboard his campaign plane. “She’s from Chicago. Her brother and I organized on the southeast side of Chicago when I first moved to Chicago as a community organizer, so I’ve known the family for a very long time.”

“I think that she will bring not only a set of skills that we're going to need as we put our ticket together but she’s going to be a terrific adviser and offer insight and judgment that will help us," Obama added.

CNN’s Jessica Yellin reported Monday that the Clinton campaign is angry about the hire. Solis Doyle left the campaign in February after a string of disappointing primary results and rumors surfaced before Clinton even bowed out that Solis Doyle would join the Obama campaign.

A top Democrat close to Solis Doyle told Yellin that Solis Doyle would not have accepted the job if she believed Clinton would be Obama's choice for vice president.

On his plane Tuesday, Obama also addressed the boos for Clinton he tried to silence at a rally in Michigan on Monday night.

“When I got out there I shut that down, and made very clear that Senator Clinton deserves respect. She ran a great race and we are moving forward because we want to win in November,” said Obama. “You know I think people were still in primary mindset, and we're moving into general election mindset.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Real Democrat

Why is it that ANYONE who no longer has their nose stuck up Hillary's rear suddenly a looser according to her supporters?

First it was Richardson who was great as long and him and Bill were watch football together.
    Then it was Edwards even though Hillary courted his support for months and stole his health care plan.
    Now Gore and this Doyle lady.

All are now loosers according to Hillary supporters.

I really find it amazing that some of you can even use a computer much less form sentences.

June 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  2. The Oracle

I just hope as Dems we don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....... :(

June 17, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. Lynn

Venus – Its not that he hired her. Its that she was put in the position of vice-president whatever. That is the slap. With her knowing him and her family working with him, it makes me think that she was in the tank with him all along. And why would Obama supporters blame Hillary if he loses. She is not the blame it is how Obama, DNC ran this race. If it had been fair and square the Clinton supporters would have open their arms and voted for him in the GE and would have overlooked his lack of experience. At least that is how I feel.

June 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  4. Robert

well judy, if you were fired from your job, you would want another employer to hire you...When hired, do you feel that the company that hired you showed your other company disrespect ???

Please people get over it and get over yourselves.....

June 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. wendy

Everyone settle down. Obama is thinking so far ahead of the republicans. Trust him and watch. For instance, this hire, not debating John McCain right now, etc. It's a chess game, watch his brilliance. Then watch his brillance in the Presidency.

June 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  6. Peggy - Tx

Re: Jenna, she stated " Women Democrats for McCain"

Jenna you obviously made typing error, certainly you meant "Woman Republican for McCain" or possibly you meant “former democrat, racist, female voter for McCain"

June 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Obama 08: Female, 60, white

How can you be "Women democrats for McCain"?? What an oxymoron!!

June 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. Callie

Oh, I get what's going on.

To please the Hillary supporters and to try to look like a unifying guy, he'll OFFER the VP job to Hillary.

But to make sure she doesn't accept it, he first hires someone she doesn't want to work with.

Does anyone else find it odd that Obama already hired the COS for his unnamed running mate? Is it not normal for the VP to have any say in who is their COS?

Mr. Obama, you should have named Mrs. Clinton your running mate the second you found out you had enough superdelegates supporting you. Remember, you don't have enough ELECTED delegates to win this thing either. I would say the same to her if she won. The longer you wait, the more Clinton supporters you will lose.

Hmm...there is a green party candidate that I've heard is worth looking at..

June 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  9. American Blue

Does anyone know why these wretched people continue to post these nasty blogs about not voting for Senator Obama. Listen people! we don't care; if you are ignorant enough to forfeit your Democratic values in this critical election, who wants your vote anyway. Clearly you people are voting with your emotions and not your logic or your grasp of the issues. Therefore on the eve of having total Democratic power in Washington; meaning a majority Democratic congress and a Democratic President one would have to not actually be a Democrat, or an incredibly stupid Democrat to try and tank their own values out of spite. Posting these lame I will vote McSame arguments only serves to cast doubt on your political intelligence. Please cease in burdening the rest of US happy Dems with your stupidity.

June 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  10. KC, Atlanta

Attention to all Democrate, this is very important observation from a powerful reliable sources, most republicans had adopted a policy from their strongest surrogates like Rush Limbaugh known as "MASK HIT MEN,I am going to expose how they really operate which has been working for them very effectively, there are two groups in every blg existed in the cable networks, one group acting as Clintons supporters talk as many negative as they can think of and they would always make sure they direct the real Clintons supporters to vote for mccain, the other groups act as Obama supporters who continue to bash Clintons supporters and even threaten that their votes were not wellcome, this tactics was design to make it almost impossible to unite the both supporters and finally delivered clintons voters to republican,it seems to be working quite well,I promise you by next week, their covers would be blown piece by piece. I DARE CNN moderators to post this comments, I have seen a great job their so called moderators were doing by unposting so many postive comments but rather choose bunch of ill,foul,divisive and negative comments to be posted, big shame on you moderators, what a stand up guy or whatever you called yourself.

June 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  11. Cynthia

I'm sure Senator Obama brought Patti Doyle to his team because she is very knowledgeable and good at what she does.

June 17, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. Where's My Popcorn

So what number are we up to now on all the conspiracies being perpetrated against poor defenseless victimized Hillary "Just A Gal Trying To Get Somewhere In A Man's World" Clinton? Has to be up into the hundreds don't you think?

So at last count more or less it was Obama, sexism, media bias, Obama supporters, DNC, Michelle Obama, the DNC, caucas states, Mercury in retrograde, natural disasters, Keith Olbermann, AA's, liberals, latte drinkers, Prius drivers, global warming, super delegates, The Huffington post, SNL, a shoulder brush, etc. and now the hiring of someone she fired, one Ms. Patti Solis-Doyle's fault for yet another injustice being done to poor HIllary. Hahahaha

Injustice is what is happening in Maynamar, Dufar, etc. Conspiracies are what took our jobs to China and India and now have us paying through the nose for their over-inflated oil consumption as their economies thrive and ours goes down the toilet. Women's rights are being violated in just about every 3rd world country on the planet and yet people are throwing hissy's trying to make one more thing about Hillary which it isn't? It would all be truly sad if it wasn't so pathetically funny.

June 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. Susan, CA

The problem here, as I see it, is that Hillary's base was woman and non-college educated, blue-collar workers. Can you not see the forest through the trees people? You are missing the whole point of this election by holding on to your stupid prejudices against Obama. Let's move on and unite, or do you like paying almost $5/gallon for gas, inflation through the roof, a never-ending war, a Constitution that is meaningless. If the answer is yes, then my all means, hold on to your misplaced anger and vote for McCain.

June 17, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. ReaganDem84

Now this explains Doyle's "ineptitude" at managing Hillary's campaign.

Bravo Barack for having a plant in Hillary's HQ!!

–RD84

June 17, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. anonymous II

What he should have said was

" Without this woman i wouldn't be the Democratic nominee. She ran one of the worst campaiggns in the history of our country and by God i am thankful for that. I fully intend to lock her in a closet somewhere unless i can get the McCain campaign to take her on. in which case i will begin celebrating my victory over him as this lady is a tremendous human millstone. Anything I can do to advance her career with an opponents campaign i am more than glad to do. "

June 17, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. jimmy velman

I DONT KNOW WHY P. SOLI S DOYLE IS SORE ON HILLARY.
    SHE DID NOT INSPIRE HER CONSTITUENTS NOR ADD MUCH TO THE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN AND TO BE VINDICTIVE IS EVEN
    WORSE FOR HER AND OBAMA.. HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS ARE NOT JUST HISPANICS, RURAL AND SMALL TOWN FOLKS BUT I DONT MEAN TO BE UNPOLITICALLY CORRECT, WHITE WOMEN AND MEN AND SENIORS.. WHY SOILS DOYLE WOULD ALIENATE HILLARY CLINTON ? FOR ANY REASON. SHE WOULD FIND A JOB
    WITH HILLARY'S HELP SO EASILY. AND THAT IS WHY OBAMA PICKED HER FOR HIS CAMP AS WELL.. IT WILL BE WELL AS OBAMA HAS SAID TO UNITE THE PARTY BEHIND OBAMA.
    AND P. SOLIS DOYLE WOULD DO WELL TO KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT.

June 17, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  17. Tammy - KCMO

I would not get upset about the ridiculous conspiracy comments and the fake angry Clinton supporters. The more I read these blogs the more I suspect that the majority are republicans in disguise continue their divide and conquer game. True Democrats are smarter than that and won't fall for it. No one but the insane will vote for McCain in November.

June 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. maryann

I guess I find it a bit strange that Obama has known this family well and that her brother helped Obama and she was in the Clinton camp. Are we to believe that she did not say anything to her brother during this primary process. I still think it is a slap in the face to Clinton. Obviously Obama is not thinking about Clinton for V.P. or this hire would not have taken place. Politics I have come to learn is nothing but a bunch of back stabbing rats pretending to be friends. Quite obvious this year by some so called Clinton supporters.

June 17, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  19. J.T. Jackson in Michigan

Very well said Peggy, TX

I agree and just because things did not work out for her in Clinton's campaign does not mean the same will happen in her position with Obama's VP.

June 17, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  20. Out of Towner

Beverly NYC, my hat off to you. You couldn't have made it more glearingly clearer to Judy. I hope that's some food for thoughts for the Clinton Supporters. Really, y'all need to get a life, get some perspectives and get over the fact that Clinton is over. Now let's get our senses back and say No to the 3rd term of Bush.

June 17, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  21. John, Brooklyn, New York

The hiring of a staffer is SUCH a non-issue. While it may stir up the bloggers for the next few days, who Obama has on his campaign team will be long forgotten by November.

June 17, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  22. Marie from Tennessee

This was a slap in the face to Clinton and her supporters- Patti is obviously not very good at running campaigns so I hope shes better at whatever it is that she will be doing- and yes the VP nominee should choose their own staff- is this some back room deal since she did such a HORRIBLE job at running Clinton's campaign- is Obama going to offer a job to Mark Penn next??????

If Obama wants my vote he should put Clinton on as VP- he should have done that already- Obama supporters would have demanded Clinton do that immediately and yet they seem so shocked that Clinton supporters want her as VP.

Well Obama needs to earn my vote- he hasn't even started- he should also take notice that the national polls have him just a few points ahead over McCain (McBush) so he can take nothing for granted- Obama you need our votes!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. Gram

Why can't the VP candidate have his/her choice of support staff?
    If Sen. Clinton is not the VP candidate, Obama will not get my vote ...along with others who think Ms Doyle made a mess of her election. After she was fired, Obama lost the big states to Sen. Clinton...Hillary still could win...Obama doesn't have enough delegates to win. Is that why Dean doesn't want her name put forward at convention????

June 17, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Nof your buisness

Probably was a spy for Obama all along. Typical of his politics.

June 17, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  25. WoMeN4McCain

Hillary…you let us down! Do you actually think we are going to do what you want us to do and vote dem? Haven't you heard of PUMA??. We are mad and dangit you are going to pay attention to us. You LOSER! We are voting for MCCAIN to spite you…yes YOU! McCain will win and your legacy will be that you made it happen..how you like them apples?
    I put my time and effort and hard earned money into you and you failed me! Youkept asking me for money after you KNEW you didn't have a chance. And all you kept saying is ME ME ME. WEll what about ME ME ME??? I AM VOTING FOR MCCAIN! DEal with it old lady! This old lady is on the McCain train!

June 17, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |