June 17th, 2008

Pro-Obama groups defy senator's wishes

(CNN)— Pro-Obama groups are ignoring calls by the Illinois senator for independent groups to direct their resources to the national party and his campaign instead of acting independently on his behalf, planning a massive operation aimed at boosting Democratic turnout in November.

PowerPAC.org Chairman Steve Phillips wrote in a Huffington Post piece Tuesday that progressive groups expect to raise $100 million to further mobilize voters this cycle, including a $10 million voter drive targeting black voters in states like Virginia, North Carolina, Mississippi and Georgia – all states that typically support Republican presidential candidates that the Obama campaign thinks he can win this fall.

“Contrary to earlier reports about the demise of independent efforts this cycle, the work in 2008 will be robust, vibrant, and more coordinated than ever before,” Phillips says.

His group plans to combine efforts with other grassroots organizations like the NAACP and National Coalition on Black Civic Participation to increase minority turnout, and coordinate with the America Votes coalition, which includes than 30 major progressive groups representing millions of members nationwide.

Earlier this year, Obama asked independent groups to direct their resources to the Democratic National Committee and his own campaign rather than run ads on his behalf. But unions and other progressive groups have traditionally taken the lead in get out the vote operations of the kind Phillip described in his piece Tuesday.

Phillips predicted the groups would spend at least $100 million on their efforts.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. MD

Obama supporters need to donate to the DNC. After all, the DNC stole the election from Hillary to give the nomination to Obama. You owe them!

June 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Kind of conflicted on this one. i LOVE Obama's stance. He really does want to run an above board campaign...

WILL THE REPUBLICANS ALLOW HIM TO??? NOPE!

So there really is a need for the groups to fight back on his behalf...

i just wish they didn't have to.

June 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. ?

I don't understand this article. Why would Barack not want to raise money?

June 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Uncle Sam

So how is this a new kind of politics?

June 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. curt

I think Sen Obama is right, direct thr efforts to the DNC and Sen.Obama's campaign, it would make for a stronger party and ensure Sen.Obama be elected

June 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Obama man fron NJ

This is funny, it's gonna be a landslide! But what about Florida?...

June 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  7. Dominique- MD

I say do the voter drives but leave the ad's to Obama. He should be putting his own message out there for folks to hear.

June 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. rachel

Hmmmm

June 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Loretta from California

Organizatons independant of Senator Obama's campaign have every right to speak out on behalf of the American people.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!

June 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. S. Boat Warrensburg Mo.

Millions Of People Organizing For The Good Of The Country? What A Wonderful Time To Be Alive!

June 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. P, CA

I think as long as word is getting out, this will be okay.

I just REALLY WORRY about the independent groups making Obama look bad by promoting what a lot of Obama supporters are already notorious for: HARDCORE NEGATIVITY.

TO ALL INDEPENDENT OBAMA GROUPS (yeah, like they sit around reading blog posts...): PLEASE remain positive. I mean, pointing out McCain's failings in the issues is okay, but don't resort to B.S. personal attacks or swift boating.

We'll see what happens. If the groups keep it clean, I have no issues with this. I'm Obama all the way, but I really disprove of the Hillary/McCain hating.

June 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. rom, NY

BREAKING NEWS:
    McShame just dropped out the race for the presidency of the USA and plans to endorse the Illinois Senator

June 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. yardstylze

Yes, we all need to come together under a more coordinated and organized to defeat the republicans. If resources are combined and we have a strategic plan, we will be able to win this.

I love how Barack is acting very presidential and is trying get all groups together. I love it.

June 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. LYNETTE IN CA

I'm not sure this is a bad thing!

GObama '08!

June 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. Proud American

Lets Go Dems!!!!

June 17, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Larry Sinclair

Pro-Obama groups need to fight the smears. Like that alleged videotape of Michelle Obama that doesn't exist. Of course, even if it did exist, she did not say such things. But even if she did say those things, she was taken out of context. Well, even if she wasn't taken out of context, she did not mean them. Alright, even if she did mean them, it doesn't matter...........

June 17, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. HP Boston

Barry is just grandstanding. He cares not a whit as long as groups GET HIM ELECTED. He can blame someone else as is his usual mode of operation. The swift boats have left the dock so Barry says don't blame me I said....................

June 17, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. oil rules

Where's the Obama unity????

June 17, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Hillary Clinton

Hello, it's me, Hillary. I would like to thank all the people who supported me throughout the campaign, but it's over now.

All you nutjobs still 'supporting' me by voting for McCain have lost your minds. You really need to get some professional help – I'm not the answer to all your problems – I'm just a politician.

Go out and form an identity of your own and try to solve your own problems for once.

June 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. Jen B

I am so bored with reading those posts that still insisit the DNC "stole the election from Hillary". Clinton lost to a stronger candidate, Obama won fair and square. Her campaign was lacking, his was impressive.

June 17, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. Vote Nader

I'm all for getting more people involved in politics and voting, but to dedicate your focus on getting certain people to vote simply beacuase of a candidate's race is truly disgusting.

** Nader/Gonzalez 2008 **

June 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Victor

MD Hillary lost fair and square in every measurable metric...get over it!

June 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. Marc PDX

Yep, Obama is an experienced politician who can lead America... NOT!

He can't even control his own campaign. Sadly, it looks like he'll get elected. Then we'll have Circus America for four years while he tries to figure out this tricky game called politics . I can't believe what the Dems are getting us into! You thought Bush was bad! So you're following it up with Obama??? Sheesh...

NObama N'08

June 17, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Swiftboats?

HP Boston, you give Obama such little credit. He's the first black candidate, and he just defeated the Clinton Machine. Stop hating. Give credit were credit is due.

June 17, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. Carmela Goodall

It amazes me that there are 43% of anyone who actually believes that John McCain could be an effective President. As McCain touts "experience" as his leading argument, there has never been a President in my lifetime, regardless of their experience in Government ,who won that slot because of a military record. McCain's record is EXACTLY the reason he shouldn't even be considered. We need to be led by someone whose views are reflected from "the outside looking in." That someone, Barack Obama, needs to be very objective with the judgment calls to inflicting war on other countries. We simply can ill afford to have a 70+ year old war mongering skin cancer patient making these judgment calls after enduring 8 years of bad judgment by a substance abusive D student who can't even pronounce words my 1st grader can spell.

June 17, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |