June 19th, 2008

Cindy McCain: Families of candidates not fair game

(CNN) - Cindy McCain, wife of John McCain, said Thursday the spouses of the presidential candidates should be allowed to have some privacy.

"I do not think that spouses and family members ... are fair game," she told CNN's John King.

"There has to be some decorum left in politics and in American journalism as well. Our husbands are the candidates," she said.

Full story

Watch Cindy McCain entire interview on The Situation Room, beginning at 4 p.m. ET

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. peakarach,des moines,IA

GO CINDY MCCAIN!

June 19, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Yes.We.Can.

Then why are you attacking Michelle?

June 19, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Gerry

Of course this is after she slams Michelle Obama again. Looks like she's as much of a flip flopper as John. Runs in the family I guess.

June 19, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. RANDY

wow….new poll from Florida….Obama up by 8 points….see rasmusen poll…generally ranked in the top 3 polling firms. It's for real!!!!!

Its happening!!!!! Bye Bye Mccaine!!

woops….my bad….its Mccaine up by 8! How come CNN doesn't have that poll plastered all overplace like the "Quinnipiac" ones from yesterday?

June 19, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. ALLBAMALLTHETIME

Oh SHUSH! When you made the comment directed at landing blow to Michelle Obama–apparently you thought that she was fair game then. So, I implore you–where was YOUR decorum then? Exactly as I thought. Hypocrisy at its finest...Botox to teh rescue.

June 19, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. David, Silver Spring, MD

By which she means that she can make derogatory remarks about Michelle Obama, but any questions about her personal wealth, prior drug use, or her affair with John McCain during his first marriage are all off-limits.

June 19, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Joe

I wonder if the RNC is listening. If the spouse of the party leader says families are not fair game, and they continue to attack Mrs. Obama on personal issues, them what does that say about the Republican party?

June 19, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Jim

Well said, I agree. I am an Obama supporter but I fully agree with this, you can't base someone on everyone else, that's just not right, we all disagree, it's human, judge people by their own actions.

June 19, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. Chanda-Cincinnati Ohio

Is anyone surprised that SHE would take this stance. No one wants to call out her drug use, prescription pill stealing, but everyone wants to put Michelle under a microscope for any thing she does. As far as those people still talking about the "for the first time I am proud..." First of all she says really proud, second of all if you listen to the entire speech she is talking about the political process IN this country. Not because her husband was running as a candidate, but becasue people were actualy getting involved and engaed in the process!!!

June 19, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Independent-woman-4-Obama

AMEN! Cindy McCain AND Michelle Obama need to be left ALONE. PLEASE PEOPLE LET'S BE CIVIL......... FOR ONCE!

Aren't we all sick and tired of the "gotcha-politics"? Let's concentrate on the IMPORTANT AND CRUCIAL issues we are facing!

June 19, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Yes.We.Can.

and that whole wording "Our husbands are the candidates’" is against everything Hillary did, isn’t it ? Sounds so backward.

June 19, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Loretta from California

Why the change? Afraid the media will go after you next? I've been waiting for that for some time now.

June 19, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. Linda31

Isn't that double speak? When you attacked Michelle Obama about being really proud.

Could it be that you are scared that the DEA charges will resurface?

June 19, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. Russ, Albuquerque

How does this square with the rip she made on Michelle Obama? Guess the rich are used to having their cake and eating it too!

June 19, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. unions are not stupid

Well duh!!!! we agree on that for the most part but your the one slinging trash at Sen Obama's wife not once but yet again today you did it! This women need to find a hole and crawl in it she is a picture of everything wrong with America. Plastic fake elitist! go get some more botox will help you keep smiling after your husband cheats on you too

June 19, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Independent LAWYER for Obama

LOL – after she again brought up the Michelle Obama "proud" comments! That is some pretty funny stuff.

June 19, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. lil

She can attack michelle but no one can attack her. Sound like a double standard to me.

June 19, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Jeff D, South Bend, IN

Of course you say it's not fair game, because you don't want people digging into your own drug addiction problems, or that you stole drugs from your own charitable foundation to feed you habit, and then skated on cimmunity service instead of going to jail.

Imagine if Michelle Obama had a drug problem and stole drugs from a charity giving medicine to third world countries. There would be no end to that news cycle.

June 19, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Jim

I'm kinda surprised her past hasn't been brought up and everything is about Michelle Obama, are the Dem's saving it for the last few month's?

June 19, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Jacob

So why was she attacking Michelle yesterday?

June 19, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Theresa in Minneapolis

Then perhaps the hypocrite should stop talking smack about Michelle!

June 19, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. Not So Delusional

Cindy: i have to agree with you. I still want to know what you pulled in last year though. I don't care where it came from (as long as it's legal). But I just want to know how much bank you really are worth.

Oh and P.S. If you don't have any problem with it, i'd really like to date your daughter. I'm a hard working Republican vet. But here's the catch, i'm black and voting for Obama. If you can look past that, let me know. I'll make you proud..

June 19, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Neil K, Lake Forest CA

I'm an Obama supporter, and I agree with both Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain on this. However, if John McCain can't convince his own party to back off of using Mrs. Obama as "fair game", what does it say about his ability to get people to follow his lead? That's also a fair question to ask about Barack Obama, but it seems that most of the fire concerning the spouses is coming from the Republican side and the conservative talk show wing of that party.

June 19, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. Obama Fan

Sounds like she's hiding something...

June 19, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

Independent woman-4-Obama.

I so agree with your comment repeated below. You and I are on the same page.

June 19, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |