June 19th, 2008

Obama emphasizes patriotism in first general election ad

CNN

Sen. Obama released an ad Thursday that emphasizes patriotism and values.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign released its first ad of the general election campaign Thursday, a 60-second spot designed to highlight his patriotism and values.

“Country I Love” will air in some perennial swing states including Florida, Michigan and Indiana – but also in some traditionally Republican areas that the Obama campaign is hoping to compete in this fall, such as Georgia, North Dakota and Virginia.

WATCH Sen. Obama's new ad "Country I love"

The spot features a single-camera shot of Obama addressing the camera. “America is a country of strong families and strong values,” says the presumptive Democratic nominee. “My life’s been blessed by both.”

Earlier this week, John McCain released its first general election spot, “Global.” The 30-second spot, which is airing in traditional battleground states, seeks to spotlight McCain’s maverick reputation and environmental credentials.

The Obama campaign said the ad will air Friday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Country I Love”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama.

America is a country of strong families and strong values. My life’s been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up. Accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you’d like to be treated. It’s what guided me as I worked my way up – taking jobs and loans to make it through college.

It’s what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed.

That’s why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected.

I approved this message because I’ll never forget those values, and if I have the honor of taking the oath of office as President, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

1. American

Go Pres. Obama....we love you and is with you all the way!!

Obama '08!

June 19, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. RANDY

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

WOW I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!

June 19, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. FEDUP

For the first time in my adult life, a presidential nominee has had to advertise, he is patriotic?

June 19, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Cynthia

Love the commercial

June 19, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. AJ

Yeah, for anyone who buys into the Obama family's patriotism, I can give you a good deal on the Brooklyn Bridge...

June 19, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Jean NYC

Obama is so full of himself. I've never seen a candidate that is so transparent, but yet tolerated by uninformed and/or neglectful voters.

I guess Americans rather tolerate our country's downfall, rather than see it excel.

We have democratic majorities in both houses. How is America better? Answer: It isn't.

June 19, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. Clinton/McCain

"I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money"

Didn't have much money? His mother had a PhD!

June 19, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. Dj

You GO Barack!

June 19, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  9. Jim

Good start guys but a lot of the people who are unsure will be mainly looking for substance! Try to focus your next ads on substance, have one on healthcare, another on education, I've heard great idea's from Mr. Obama on education, have ad's on substance issues but focus on details, not just that you will do it without saying how, give example's of how he will do what he plans to do, his idea's, etc, goodluck Mr. Obama, I hope some of the campaign people read this!

June 19, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. Anna, OH

Haha...yes just like you're wife said, on $1 million plus salary, you guys are still so poor, you can't afford piano and dance lessons. Out of touch much?

June 19, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. James, SC

Got my vote!!

June 19, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Obama 08 & '12

BARACK OBAMA!!! THE TRUE AMERICAN. LETS DO THIS!!!

AMERICANS FOR CHANGE

June 19, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. ALLBAMALLTHETIME

YAY BAM BAM!!! YOU TELL 'EM!

June 19, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

One of the most patriotic things a person can do is be in public service.

And being Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces is about as high on patriotism as one can go, no?!?!

June 19, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. Lynn

.. and that's why the country loves him.

June 19, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. Independent

Why don't you emphasize on your change in position of public financing? I'm sure you don't want the millions donated to your campaign from the Casinos.

June 19, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. independent chris

Given that I love my country, I am apt to criticize this country my often, just as I am apt to criticize my family whom I love. We all do this because we care. If we didn't, we wouldn't bother. Those who say that our country (or families) are above criticism are not patriotic; they are, in fact, liars out for themselves.

Obama is a great American.

June 19, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. obamabot

of course,barack obama is more patriotic than any republicans.he doesnt want our military being killed in illegal wars.mcbush wants to see how many more are killed or injured,in iraq,and if elected,he'll send our troops into iran,next.

June 19, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. go away mongers-Ventura ca

All the hate and fear tactics that worked against Kerry WILL NOT WORK THIS TIME- so the republiCANT Hate Machine might as well fold it up and take it somewhere else!
    YES, WE CAN. YES, WE WILL.

June 19, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. Gas And Oil Party (GOP)

Good One. I hope this will be well received

June 19, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. Tonya, Richmond, VA

I love Obama, I really do, but with all these posts about Obama it's pretty clear who CNN is for.

lmao

Let me check out FOX because you know their are biased as two rednecks.

June 19, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. David S., CA

I like the positive messages of elections, hope it continues

June 19, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  23. Sergio

Obama should send a copy of that video to his former church (i.e., Trinity et al) and sit with them and play it over and over... or even better enroll himself in a workshop on patriotism run by McCain. Viva the U S A !!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. Tony

Indiana is a perennial swing state? Tell me, please, when is the last time Indiana showed up in the 'blue' column for a president? I'll be voting for Obama in Indiana in November, but I won't expect him to be able to carry my ignorant state.

June 19, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  25. Independant

Still doesnt make me fall at your feet....Still love McCain, the only true american running for president.

John and Cindy 08