June 19th, 2008

Obama emphasizes patriotism in first general election ad

CNN

Sen. Obama released an ad Thursday that emphasizes patriotism and values.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign released its first ad of the general election campaign Thursday, a 60-second spot designed to highlight his patriotism and values.

“Country I Love” will air in some perennial swing states including Florida, Michigan and Indiana – but also in some traditionally Republican areas that the Obama campaign is hoping to compete in this fall, such as Georgia, North Dakota and Virginia.

WATCH Sen. Obama's new ad "Country I love"

The spot features a single-camera shot of Obama addressing the camera. “America is a country of strong families and strong values,” says the presumptive Democratic nominee. “My life’s been blessed by both.”

Earlier this week, John McCain released its first general election spot, “Global.” The 30-second spot, which is airing in traditional battleground states, seeks to spotlight McCain’s maverick reputation and environmental credentials.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Country I Love”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama.

America is a country of strong families and strong values. My life’s been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up. Accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you’d like to be treated. It’s what guided me as I worked my way up – taking jobs and loans to make it through college.

It’s what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed.

That’s why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected.

I approved this message because I’ll never forget those values, and if I have the honor of taking the oath of office as President, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

1. Maddie, NY

Hey, when's it going to air in California. I can't wait to see it.

I know Barack and Michelle are patriotic and all the GOP pundits will have a hard time convincing the American people that they are not.

I noticed that whenever they talk about Michelle's statement, they conveniently leave out the word "really". She said this was the first time in a long time she was "really" proud of her country. And she meant that politically.

The Obamas have my vote, and I can't wait. In fact my friends and I are having a voting party in November. We will vote, and then meet for drinks and watch the returns. I can not wait, I can not wait.

Obama 08 and 12

June 19, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. Patrick

I like the choice of states to air this ad. Everyone of them are winnable.

June 19, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. Thomas

"The Obama campaign said the ad will air Friday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia."

"If your not on this list I don't care, I already have your vote – Obama"

June 19, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  4. Florida John

The sad part is that he has to spend money to convince people he is Patrotic. That usually means he has some issues somewhere.......

June 19, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  5. Enlightened Voter -

Obama is a Harvard Educated Constitutional Law Scholar, spent 4 yrs in Illinois senate and 2 yrs as US Senator. He's sponsored dozens of bills in the senate and is a tireless worker. He has shown brilliance in this campaign and sound judgement. Obama, this ad doesn't win me over, you've already had my vote and you'll never lose it.

June 19, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  6. Susan, VT

My name is Ms. American Voter, and I approve Barack's message.

Go Barack, I'll be voting for you, and your patriotic wife (Michelle) in November.

The Obamas, an American family, too.

Obama 08

June 19, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. silas

great great great news for the campaign. We cud take Georgia and Virginia maybe North Dakota

June 19, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. Student for OBAMA 08!!!

Great Ad. This country needs to be reminded of old fashioned family values.

OBAMA 08!!!

June 19, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. jp/michigan

I believe honesty is also a strong value. Well, with in the last 24 hours , I have read that you decided NAFTA is not so bad. After calling NAFTA devastating and a big mistake, to the people of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan. I have read that you stated you will not take public financing , after stating you would.

June 19, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. Yes.We.Can.

I like it. Teaches the truth about his background to counter all the lies that are flying around.

June 19, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. chevy

Im digging this man

June 19, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  12. Empty suit, empty promises

Do strong values include pointing out TWO Muslim woman from a group and not allow them to be in a picture?

What if McCain did this to two BLACK woman, PAGE one, STORY one, for DAYS and he would be DONE.

So the great man of the people who is proud of his country will not take questions from PEOPLE around the country in townhall debates, instead he will take the softball questions from his "flock of pundts" that adore him?

Sorry if I seem bitter and clinging to something other than your every word.

No problem though, as after you lose in November, I will "for the first time in my adult life, I will be REALLY proud of my country" for not electing this fraud into office.

All I have to say to you Barack H Obama is so long "sweetie".

June 19, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. Eli

You better think before voting for this con artist. The Obamas have several closets of skeletons and we have seen some that should have scared people but his main supporters are going along with them because they believe the stuff his church of twenty years teach and the college students are not watching the news and dont even know whats going on.

June 19, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. Brian Knoxville TN

Lately, a lot of people have been using my name to post false messages. I just want to put this circus to rest and voice my true views unequivocally.

We (PUMA morons) have sent letters to the DNC from 26 states. We have protested the fact that Obama blocked revoting in FL and MI (oh wait! Obama camp offerred to split votes with Clinton EVEN THOUGH Clinton herself said "FL and MI will not be counted!" when it suited her).

We have protested that the DNC has disenfrenchenansized (i cant spell, whatever) millions of voters by not giving the delegates to the popular vote winner in caucus states (keep in mind that we NEVER objected to this practice until THIS election, ONLY WHEN when it became a problem for Hillary. Of course, all the caucus votes in Obama's favor never counted anyway. Its only Hillary supporters who can be disenfrenchenansized).

We also protested the media's constant sexism and belittling (now the media didn't EVER use the monica lewinsky scandal or clinton's underhanded business deals or whitewater and beat the Rev. Wright issue to death, but whatever)…

Finally, we believe that ALL the DNC officials and ALL the superdelegates and ALL the 18 Million who voted for Obama are IDIOTS! Only we are sensible, we are the only ones who are right, and we are the only ones who should be heard.

Go PUMA! McCain '08. Woohoo!

June 19, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. Tom

Great ad!!!!

We believe in you!

June 19, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. Rick in NYC

Thank you, Mr. President!

"Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come." – Victor Hugo

June 19, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. ProundToBeADemocrat

MY advice to Democrats Rasmussen Poll is desgined to make conservative look good, they post a false Poll with Mccain ahead of Obama please do not fall for that kind of crap.

June 19, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. Bridgette-PA

I just asked my husband last night "When is Barack going to release his first campaign ad already?". Barack must have heard me!

OBAMA / SEBELIUS -08/12!

June 19, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Janice, MS

This is not about Barack, it is about the millions of people who want to see him win. So if he has to change his mind in order to raise more money so that he can win–so be it.

Not only is he making history with his fundraising, but he is making history with this historical campaign. By the way, who are those guys? David and David are doing a great job. I've never seen anything like it, not with Hillary, not with Dean. Barack is breaking records and we're so excited.

We want to win in November and Barack is the man to do it.

Obama 08, you've got millions of voters behind you. We are with you, press on.

June 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  20. Romulus, Michigan

Refreshing, thanks Senator Obama.

June 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  21. LET IT GO

His has a great story, Please people let him tell it and you be suprise how much Barack and Michelle story is just like ours.

June 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Brenda of Saginaw ,Michigan

You know what is sad?. The United States is in a really bad way along comes this "black man" who thinks he can repair what is broken.Yes, he has a hard life but do you truly think that here in this racial divided country will give him a chance? ( I hope so).We are Americans. So when it comes to filling out applications and they ask what race are you please put american,not black,white , native american or whatever. Just put "AMERICAN".

June 19, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Sharon Kitchen

June 19, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  24. Joe Six

After 8 years of Bush, Dumacrats are willing to believe anything to have one of their own in the White House. All I hear from Dumacrats is McSame, McSame, McSame. For Dumacrats, this election is not about principle or policy, it is simply about winning, no matter what. Given the problems McCain is having with Conservatives, Obama will do it.

June 19, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. ls

Spoken like a Strong-Spirited-American. Way to go Obama!!

Too bad McCain and his supporters won't understand the meaning of this message.

Obama '08