June 19th, 2008

Obama emphasizes patriotism in first general election ad

CNN

Sen. Obama released an ad Thursday that emphasizes patriotism and values.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign released its first ad of the general election campaign Thursday, a 60-second spot designed to highlight his patriotism and values.

“Country I Love” will air in some perennial swing states including Florida, Michigan and Indiana – but also in some traditionally Republican areas that the Obama campaign is hoping to compete in this fall, such as Georgia, North Dakota and Virginia.

WATCH Sen. Obama's new ad "Country I love"

The spot features a single-camera shot of Obama addressing the camera. “America is a country of strong families and strong values,” says the presumptive Democratic nominee. “My life’s been blessed by both.”

Earlier this week, John McCain released its first general election spot, “Global.” The 30-second spot, which is airing in traditional battleground states, seeks to spotlight McCain’s maverick reputation and environmental credentials.

The Obama campaign said the ad will air Friday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Country I Love”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama.

America is a country of strong families and strong values. My life’s been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up. Accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you’d like to be treated. It’s what guided me as I worked my way up – taking jobs and loans to make it through college.

It’s what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed.

That’s why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected.

I approved this message because I’ll never forget those values, and if I have the honor of taking the oath of office as President, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

1. michelle

P H O N E Y....sorry, I just can't buy this.

June 19, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. John from LA

To FEDUP-

Great comment!!!-why does BO need to say this??-

"Great Values"-Obama-having your daughters sit in Rev. Wrongs church-kids are VERY smart and will repeat what they hear-great family values!

A very skeptical Ind.

June 19, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Venus

YES WE CAN!

Way to go Bam! This is what I been waiting for! Steppin it up and taking it to the next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for him to be president!

Bring our troops home from Iraq and get this country we love on a better track!

June 19, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Character Content Examination

"That’s why I pas_sed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected. "

In what parallel universe did this happen? He hasn't had a single one of the bills he sponsored be voted on, much less actually get voted into law.

June 19, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  5. Phillip

And why shouldn't he?

As much as the Republicans would like us all to "blacklist" their opponents as unpatriotic because they aren't wearing a lapel pin or something, this simply won't hold up. The American people are (marginally) smarter than that; they can tell that Obama really does love his country, despite the ugly picture that the GOP will continue to paint of him.

June 19, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. Tony, Miami

Clinton/Mccain :"His mother had a Phd"
    So what he never said his mother was uneducated. Lot of people have Phd or else and sometimes when applying for a job because you need the money badly, your application can be declined with the mention "over qualified" for the job.
    By the way Obama I love your ad.

June 19, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. Belle2

Just one more of his lies! How gullible does he think the American voters are-but then look at all the hero worship. Maybe he is right. After all 59M people voted for Bush in 2004-after it was clear that he had justified war with lies.

June 19, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  8. ninetyfivepercent like bush

At least Obama was born in the USA.
    Unlike some!!

June 19, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  9. Mike

Love it!!!

Obama = Let's make this country better.

McCain = Let's keep things exactly the way they are.

Now people love and support Obama so much that he doesn't have to dip from the public well.

What a great time to be alive! A change is coming, and the sour-cons can't stop the steamroller that is Obama!

June 19, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  10. Emma, San Jose, CA

In the minds of the voters for Obama, there was never clear evidence that he was not patriotic. Ana what's a flag lapel pin got to do with it?

June 19, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  11. NO LAPEL PIN

Obama wouldnt wear his required patriotic PIN in congress. Also he accomplished nothing in congress. I have not seen any patrotism yet from him or any of his follwers. He has many al queda suppoters on his payroll now.

June 19, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  12. Shelly in IL

I SEE WHY HE HAS TO RUN THIS AD!

June 19, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  13. JB

Go Barrack. Stop the Neocons.

June 19, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. U-S-hooray

Obama's campaign theme:

"Let's bring positive change to this great country."

McCain's campaign theme:

"You all should be frightened of Senator Obama's wife. She's evil, evil, evil!"

June 19, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  15. Rose - Baltimore, MD

Good job. We need more ads

June 19, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. Joe Regis

Obama will bring prosperity back to american families.

He will end government deficits and bring fiscal responsibility back.

Obama will end the war and bring the troups back with success.

Obama 08 &12.

June 19, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Angel for Obama

Sounds like a great Ad the Obama camp cameout with look fwd to watch it here in VA.

"Obama 08 enough said"

June 19, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. Dustin

Jean. It seems to me that most of the Hillary and McCain supporters are the uninformed. I have followed Obama since I read an article in Time two years ago, so I feel rather well informed on the campaign. I watched every debate, both Democrat and Republican, so I feel rather well informed. I will be voting Obama in the general.

June 19, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Jackson, OK

It's not patriotic to exclude one group of Americans over another group of Americans. We want a country who will not judge people by the "color of their skin, but by the content of their character". Dr. King's Dream WILL be a reality in November of 2008, and I can't wait to see that dream come true.

Thank you Barack for making this presidential election an easy one for me. Do I want a man who is chomping at the bit to take us into another war, or do I want a man who wants to sit down and talk about resolving conflict? I want a grown-up. I want Barack Obama to be my president, and I can't wait to vote for him. November will be life-changing and I'm showing up for the transformation of the American Politic.

Obama, my next president.

June 19, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  20. Chut Pata

Patriotism needs to be defined. Is a person who leads country to war and the ultimate destruction economy a patriot? Is a person who, despite his young age, envisions the results of the war and opposes it unpatriotic?

June 19, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. Monte - Ex Democrat

If you have to advertise that you are patriotic, something is wrong. Who are you trying to convince? Your kool-aid drinkers? Or just the poor dumb people that you are trying to con out of more money so you and Michelle can make over your imagine? If you love America, you prove it by your actions and deeds, not words. What great service has Obama done for thiscountry? Spend time in the Illinois Senate at taxpayers expense, then move on to the US Senate, again on tax payers dime. Now he wants more tax payers money to provide public housing? Give me a break! Serve you country, join the military, peace corps or something useful!

June 19, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  22. LAPEL

The fact Obama wouldnt wear his LAPEL pin in congress. Shows he is not patriotic to our county.

June 19, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  23. Bayou Joe

Show me the legislation that he has sponsored that benefits families and soldiers. Where and when, He has been in Congress less than 2 years. Started campaigning 2 week after he got there.

Just say no to Obama. Your country will be better off.

June 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. Mary

Look at the ticker titles -- ALL Obama – No McCain. I am voting for Obama - but why can't we hear both sides?????

June 19, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  25. rick-philly

Anna, he is talking about when he was a child. He didn't make $1 million as a child. i think it is you who is out of touch.

And his mother has a PHD in anthropolgy, not exactley a great paying job.

June 19, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |