June 19th, 2008

Obama emphasizes patriotism in first general election ad

CNN

Sen. Obama released an ad Thursday that emphasizes patriotism and values.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign released its first ad of the general election campaign Thursday, a 60-second spot designed to highlight his patriotism and values.

“Country I Love” will air in some perennial swing states including Florida, Michigan and Indiana – but also in some traditionally Republican areas that the Obama campaign is hoping to compete in this fall, such as Georgia, North Dakota and Virginia.

WATCH Sen. Obama's new ad "Country I love"

The spot features a single-camera shot of Obama addressing the camera. “America is a country of strong families and strong values,” says the presumptive Democratic nominee. “My life’s been blessed by both.”

Earlier this week, John McCain released its first general election spot, “Global.” The 30-second spot, which is airing in traditional battleground states, seeks to spotlight McCain’s maverick reputation and environmental credentials.

The Obama campaign said the ad will air Friday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Country I Love”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama.

America is a country of strong families and strong values. My life’s been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up. Accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you’d like to be treated. It’s what guided me as I worked my way up – taking jobs and loans to make it through college.

It’s what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed.

That’s why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected.

I approved this message because I’ll never forget those values, and if I have the honor of taking the oath of office as President, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

1. Anton

One word: CRAP

June 19, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Lloyd Bentson

How about an ad featuring that young wipper-snapper of a v.p. I debated: Dan Quayle...he may not know how to spell potatoe, but he has some gumshun...

Lloyd

June 19, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. PhD does not equal money

Hey Clinton/McCain: Perhaps you do not know any PhDs, especially those in the social sciences and/or Arts in Humanities, and that is why you said what you said. I am getting my PhD in International Studies, will be $200k in debt and will max out at $80k teaching at a university. Check out the stats on education v. income ratio when it comes to having a doctorate. You'll be surprised. That being said, I wish people would stop speaking about which they know very little.

June 19, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

Obama displays a much more mature love of country than most right-wingers and their shallow puppy love.

And, by the way, in response to a previous comment, his mother went on to earn a PhD in anthropology. I guarantee you she wasn't rolling in dough. Several members of my family have PhDs (in genetics and in art history) and none of them make much money.

June 19, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Robert

Clinton/McCain. You just proved your ignorance. "His Mother had a PhD" means they had a lot of money> She was a teacher. Teachers with PHD usually don't make much money unless they sell books. Obviously you don't have a PhD yourself.

June 19, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Citizen Can

Works for me-
    I'd rather see this ad than McCain in half-shadow, looking like senator Palpatine

June 19, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. RyVA

I think the top of every posting section should come with the following guide:

your = a possessive term, "I have your book"
    you're = single affirming verb / form of 'to be', "You're learning how to read"

there = location, "I want to go over there"
    their = possessive, "I have their addresses"
    they're = group affirming verb / form of 'to be', "They're going to the market"

Dear America – please learn to read and write.

June 19, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. Anita from Arizona

Democrats only got the majority for two years, but Republicans held it a lot longer than that, so make sure your facts are straight before you lay blame.

Cheap shots will get the GOP and it's supporters nowhere this time. Change we can believe in.

June 19, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. HRC for life

These ads better devote enough time to recognize Hillary and all her work and experience she has. She deserves ad space time too!!

Loyal HRC follower

June 19, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  10. wisdom

We're with you Randy and Fedup!

June 19, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  11. Chut Pata

To "Clinton/McCain": You wonder how come Obama's mother was not rich despite having a Phd. As a member of a family full of Phds, I know how much they make depending on their subject. I, a simple Bachelor in Computer Science is making many times more than some of them. One is driving a cab to make a living!!!

June 19, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. Trish

To Clinton/McCain and Anna, OH: You need to get your facts straight before making snarky comments like this.

Obama's mother had him when she was 18 or 19. It took her decades of working while in school part-time to get that PhD while raising her children without their father. I call that determination and not giving up. Luckily, she had the help of her parents in Hawaii, who moved there by the way because her father was a WWII veteran. No, they didn't have much money at all - the only reason Barack could go to Punahou high school, Occidental College and Columbia was on scholarship and student loans, just like everyone else.

And no, Barack and Michelle didn't have much money until his book "Audacity of Hope" became a best-seller several years ago. That book paid off their considerable student loans from law school - before that, they forwent good-paying jobs to work in public service. When Barack was a state legislator in Illinois, he also worked as a Constitutional Law professor at UI Chicago. Not the best-paying jobs.

The Obamas have just about the greatest American story I have ever heard. They are real and they are just what we need right now.

June 19, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. Not

Guess where the troops will go from Iraq? Try Afganistan.
    Guess what the changes will be? Socialist.
    Guess where the check and balance will be with a dem pres a dem congress and dem judicial? NONE.
    Guess how much you will be paying for gas in December. Try six bucks!
    Nobama. No Mccain what is left? Nuttin!

June 19, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  14. Ted

Obama is another politician... he'll say anything to get elected.

June 19, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Swampy

AJ, Barack Obama's patriotism is of a type you seem incapable of understanding. It is not obligatory to accept this country the way it is– it's a patriotic right and obligation to try to make this country better than it is.

Try it sometime. Join us in working for a better America.

Obama/Clark '08 and beyond

June 19, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. S. BOATMAN WARRENSBURG MO.

Much Better Than The Mccain Ad Talking About How Much He Loves War!

June 19, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  17. fran from canada

Clinton/McCain, I guess Obama mother worked for it. Is there something wrong with having a education. Get over it

June 19, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  18. Time to move on

What a fresh page.
    OBAMA 08

June 19, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  19. Ula Nejad- Sacramento Ca

Jeeuz! not when you are seen around the world dressed up like an elder in some village in Kenya. I strongly believe that should other ethnic groups who feels so strong about representing their race should go and stand in their country of origin. It just makes more sense and less chaos.

June 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Obamamaniac

Great spot! Great canidate! YES WE CAN!

June 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  21. Rob, Maryland

FEDUP wrotes @ June 19th, 2008 12:49 pm ET

For the first time in my adult life, a presidential nominee has had to advertise, he is patriotic?

============================

Yes, thanks to idiots like you who questions others patriotism, Obama has to emphasize his patriotism in a tv ad. If you were smart enough and you did not have a fish's memory, you'd recall McCain and his wife talking about their patriotism again and again.

June 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  22. Generation X

Operation Chaos = PUMA (Poor uneducated miserable adults) and on ....1...2...3...4...5; Jan Fl, Brian TN, Jim PA, Stauch Clinton Supporter, CHAROLTTE, Belle and Karen FL and I forgot fred; Obama will never be President, write Hillary in, McCain if Hillary is not VP. Guess what you nuts....NOT THIS TIME!!!

June 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  23. G

Because I love my nation, I criticize her leadership when it is in error. It's rather like a parent reprimanding and guiding the child, as opposed to being lazy and allowing the child to run rampant and unsupervised. Only neocons confuse criticism with being unpatriotic. Only neocons confuse patriotism with nationalism.

June 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. John Smith

This woman, like some "blind and bitter" Hillary supporters, give Blond women a "bad name!"

The dictates and laws of God are bigger and better than the laws and rules of nations! Not everyone has and continues to be ALWAYS proud of America. I can never be proud of a nation that:
    1. goes to war, and disrupts the lives of others in the name of .....
    2. practices 'bigatory, racism, sexism...
    3. has no regard for the poor and the weak...

There are alternative ways of serving a nation– teachers teach our youth on a daily basis; they are part of our present and future.

When Cindy MCain learns to speak "good English" and not "emotional language," maybe I might listen to her!

June 19, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  25. Eric in Ca

Love the Ad! Our Next President.
    Obama 08!