June 19th, 2008

Obama emphasizes patriotism in first general election ad

CNN

Sen. Obama released an ad Thursday that emphasizes patriotism and values.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign released its first ad of the general election campaign Thursday, a 60-second spot designed to highlight his patriotism and values.

“Country I Love” will air in some perennial swing states including Florida, Michigan and Indiana – but also in some traditionally Republican areas that the Obama campaign is hoping to compete in this fall, such as Georgia, North Dakota and Virginia.

WATCH Sen. Obama's new ad "Country I love"

The spot features a single-camera shot of Obama addressing the camera. “America is a country of strong families and strong values,” says the presumptive Democratic nominee. “My life’s been blessed by both.”

Earlier this week, John McCain released its first general election spot, “Global.” The 30-second spot, which is airing in traditional battleground states, seeks to spotlight McCain’s maverick reputation and environmental credentials.

The Obama campaign said the ad will air Friday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Country I Love”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama.

America is a country of strong families and strong values. My life’s been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up. Accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you’d like to be treated. It’s what guided me as I worked my way up – taking jobs and loans to make it through college.

It’s what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed.

That’s why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected.

I approved this message because I’ll never forget those values, and if I have the honor of taking the oath of office as President, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

1. Character Content Examination

From Barrak's own mouth in The Audacity of Hope:

"I was the beneficiary of unusually—and at times undeservedly—positive press coverage."

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. Voter turned 4 Obama

To the Hillary backers, or shall I say them Log Cabin Repugs. Gov.Sebelius and others have a better shot then Hillary. Sorry wake up, you'll are dreaming. This country have done the Clinton's and Bush's it time for a change a real change. And for the once that having problem with the gas price. The gas will drop very low when Bush is out of the White House. If you listen to what other country are saying about the problem and it not the Americans people it the Bush and McSane policy. The Kings in the Middle East told Bush to got to hell. And you can tell how other country think about the next guy, and if you look and listen stop being blind to the fact. That person isn't McSane. Look he can't remember what he said yesterday, is he C-Nile for real and his wife just have the sticky fingers. And I'm sorry but someone need to ask Cindy to take an drug test to make sure that she is off the drugs. Because the saying goes like this. Once and Crack Head Always an Crack Head!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. Dirk

He shouldn't even have to waste people's money with an ad like this.

June 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Turnabout is Fair Play

LOL! I love your handle there Gas and Oil Party (GOP)! ROFL! I call'em the Gross Old Perverts party myself..

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  5. Melinda Charlotte, NC

Barack Obama is a liar.He has been busted in several lies just this week. The Obama supporters are free to support whomever they please, but please open your eyes to what he says and how his actions speak. So far, not so good...

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. MD

I feel so nostalgic whenever Obama talks. I remember MLK and JFK. I hope he is elected the president of this country, not only because the alternative is a THIRD term for the worst president in the history of this country, but also because Obama has shown flexibility, wisdom, and patience in the entire election process.

Battling Hilary Clinton and her barrage of negative ads, while tough to take at the time, was essentially what Obama needed to get ready for the general election.

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Ohio for Obama

Another one of gop's strategies to keep him off focus because they know all mcbush has to offer is the war. This is to big of a risk to take my child's future is at stake, our country's economy is in the toilet, we are sending children with their whole future ahead of them to their deaths, and they want to make a big deal about whether or not the best chance our country has had since the bush saga began has loyalty come on... let's be real we are not that stupid!!!

June 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. Pepou

To Anna, OH. How much do you think Cindy McCain's fortune is ? Enough to get her a total face lift ...

June 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Patrick Henry, Fort Myers

Of course he's a patriot, well at least in his own preception and words. Which is the heart of his being the "wrong guy" for Commander-In-Chief......

He's a patriot only when it's politically feazent.

When he sat in his church and heard the disgusting remarks his mentor and pastor vomited on the cheering congregation (likely he and his wife included) about other citizens of a different color, and other political leaders of a different stripe–he was afraid, unheroic, and clearly not espousing the excreta on "being American" and pride in all American's he is uttering today!!

Patriots–fight for the ideals of our country, all the time, everyday, at risk to life, limb, fortune–even when it is not politically expedient Mr. Obama.

June 19, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

Is this what Obama calls grabbing the bull by the horns, and being proactive?

June 19, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Margi

Nice job!
    Obama 08'

June 19, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. outsider

A CHANGE IS COMING, SMILE AMERICA

June 19, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  13. Bella from Florida

Mccain does not need to remind people of how patriotic he is because we all know that he has proven himself. Poor Obama he needs to have a commercial on TV to let people know that he loves this country. "Pathetic"

June 19, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. Bella from Florida

Sorry too little too late for many of us.

June 19, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. The Truth

Larry Sinclair is going to expose the real Obama. Then you worshippers can either come back to reality or join Obama in the limo. HAHAHAHAHA !!!

McCain 2008 !!! For a real man or

Obama, for a well...feminine !!! HAHAHAHAHA !!!

June 19, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Robert from Washington

It never ceases to amaze me — the number of people who presume to judge another's patriotism by their use of flag pins, bumperstickers , slogans and other flub dubs. I tell you, if there is such a thing as reincarnation and we grow wiser as we roll on through successive lifetimes, too many Americans are on their first life, dumb as a stick.

June 19, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. BHO Not my candidate

Dont lie... btw responding means theres an issue... you were better leaving this one alone...

June 19, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. O Phony

Obama is such a phony. Calls himself patriotic but never served in the military, doesn’t wear a lapel pin (until recently), doesn’t put his hand over his heart during the national anthem, attends church were the preacher declares GD America, doesn’t visit the troops in Iraq. If this guy is patriotic, George Bush is a genius.

June 19, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Scott, Wichita

Kinda hard to convince people of your patriotism if you wont say the pledge of allegiance

June 19, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. What if?

you can PLEASE SOME of the POEPLE MOST of the TIME..................
    and SKIP the PEOPLE that are NOT WORTH pleaseing.... ALL THE TIME.

Go OBAMA………………….THAT’S OUR PRESIDENT!!!!

June 19, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Uncle Sam

Certainly one can criticize their country and still be proud of it.

June 19, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Craig Nazor

This is interesting – the only way to attack this add is through the cynicism of calling Obama a liar. Who is going to take seriously the splenetic ventings of a cynic? In the end, people are going to believe what they want to believe. Some have already decided, but those who haven't are not going to listen to all this negative drivel as long as one side refuses to go there and instead supports an intelligent discussion of the issues. This election, like no other, will reflect the true heart of America, as it will clearly delineate the difference between winning by demonizing your opponent as opposed to winning on the issues. I just hope Americans can look up from their emotional reactivity (encouraged by the media) long enough to make a good decision. The fate of the world is in the balance.

June 19, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

you freaking idiots...

does anyone who HATES America RUN FOR PRESIDENT????

(let alone a black man who KNOWS he will have a quadruply difficult time)

June 19, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. Ginny CA

Oh, NOW you're patriotic, wearing a flag pin, and love your country. Better tell Michelle so she'll be on the same page with you in her "stump" speeches.

June 19, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. BigAce

Boy, these posers are really reaching at the bottom of the barrel to attack Obama.

Clinton/McSame poser: "His mom had a Phd" – No, she was a nurse.
    Anna, OH poser: "$1 Million plus salary.....Out of touch" – I wonder how much Cindy McCain is worth? Hmmm.

The posers present no facts , just hysteria and misinformation, but as was stated before "IT WILL NOT WORK THIS TIME".

But Hey, keep posting, you have nothing better to do since your candidate is not the greatest choice.

GO OBAMA