June 19th, 2008

Obama emphasizes patriotism in first general election ad

CNN

Sen. Obama released an ad Thursday that emphasizes patriotism and values.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign released its first ad of the general election campaign Thursday, a 60-second spot designed to highlight his patriotism and values.

“Country I Love” will air in some perennial swing states including Florida, Michigan and Indiana – but also in some traditionally Republican areas that the Obama campaign is hoping to compete in this fall, such as Georgia, North Dakota and Virginia.

WATCH Sen. Obama's new ad "Country I love"

The spot features a single-camera shot of Obama addressing the camera. “America is a country of strong families and strong values,” says the presumptive Democratic nominee. “My life’s been blessed by both.”

Earlier this week, John McCain released its first general election spot, “Global.” The 30-second spot, which is airing in traditional battleground states, seeks to spotlight McCain’s maverick reputation and environmental credentials.

The Obama campaign said the ad will air Friday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Country I Love”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama.

America is a country of strong families and strong values. My life’s been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn’t have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up. Accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you’d like to be treated. It’s what guided me as I worked my way up – taking jobs and loans to make it through college.

It’s what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed.

That’s why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families and extended health care for wounded troops who’d been neglected.

I approved this message because I’ll never forget those values, and if I have the honor of taking the oath of office as President, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

1. Don Colony14Author, Mt Prospect, IL

Patriotic? Isn't this the guy who wrote in his "Audacity of Hope" book: "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." (I admit, I only borrowed the book; I wasn't about to buy it.)

June 19, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Agnostic Democrat

FEDUP:

For the first time in my adult life I can see through the false patriotism of John McSham, the rest of the wingnuts (including his wife) and people like you who have their own warped definition of patriotism that falls back centuries in time.

June 19, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Alice

Why would someone who is NOT "patriotic" (whatever that means) go through the horrendous process of running for President?

Those of you who question Obama's patriotism are no better than Joe McCarthy (though you probably don't even know who he was.)

June 19, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. John

Empty rhetoric and promises from an empty man.

June 19, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. California Voter

Interesting that we have a candidate that has to tell the American people that he is patriotic. I don't hate Obama however, I am concerned that he has never answered any questions as to why he was a member of a black liberation church for 20 years and never heard Rev. Wright preach any inflammatory sermons of hate and racism. I question Obama's experience, judgment, honesty and core values. It's not about race folks it is about core values.

June 19, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

Good Ad! Good Start!!

This will address the back-channel fear mongering out there.

Obama/Nunn in 2008 and beyond!

June 19, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. Weepy

This guy is such a FRAUD! Just because he can make a pretty speech, some folks are convinced he is worthy of being our president. Just the thought of that happening is beginning to make me feel physically ill! Why should anyone have faith and confidence in the likes of him? He has done NOTHING to engender ANY faith and confidence.

Frankly, I AM SCARED of him, his radical wife, and his SOCIALIST friends. This is a nightmare!!

June 19, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. steve

I ask you, those Americans who judge everyone based on their 'patriotism', isn't this propaganda word the reason President Bush was able to have Congress and the American public look the other way when he wanted to make the false case to go into Iraq? You want to steer our country with issues like abortion, gay marriage, patriotism, racism, and sexism. Spew your hatred and fears all you want, just please stop deciding my children's future.

June 19, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. Bella from Florida

There is this huge machine behind this man and I think it is not only coming from Obama 's supporters.He is getting support from the Middle East and from Europe.This is scary that other countries are deciding who our next president will be.

June 19, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. Phil Newton, Murphy OR

Obama's story is America's story.

He's proud. He appreciates this country in a way that the rich and privileged never will.

That's patriotism.

June 19, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Ding, Washington, DC

Awesome ad!

June 19, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. aware

Nice try but no buy Obama!

Don't vote for the talk candidate who can't walk it! :(

Vote for McCain an American hero in touch with mainstream Americans. He is gutsy! :)

June 19, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

He loves this country so much he's willing to run for President just so he can take it down from the inside.

June 19, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. lil

Clinton/macain
    Read up on what her PhD was in and how she got it before you throw
    something out there.
    When you do that then comment.

June 19, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. C from Texas

Just keep his Ads out of Texas, we want nothing to do with him down here.

June 19, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. clove

Clinto/mccann!!!!!

June 19, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. Heather

Wow, a lot of racists on these blogs. (talking to you, biff biffington.) But it's alright - we don't want you deciding this election. We'll just have to drag all of you, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

June 19, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  18. DJ, LA, CA

The Neo-Cons are just desperate. First they question Obama not wearing a flag pin, or how often he does, whether or not he is Christian and now they make pathetic attacks on his wife. It's really pathetic but predicatable the GOP "base" resorts to these tactics that have 0 to do with the real issues.

June 19, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  19. Obama the Phony Baloney, Plastic Banana, Good Time Rock-n-Roller

The candidate doth protest too much methinks.

June 19, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |