June 19th, 2008

Former Clinton-backing union endorses Obama

Sen. Obama met with union leaders Thursday.
Sen. Obama met with union leaders Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees – a 1.4 million-member union that backed Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary – endorsed Barack Obama for president Thursday.

“AFSCME will mobilize more members and invest more resources than ever before to help Senator Obama win the White House,” AFSCME President Gerald McEntee said in a statement. “We will turn out an army of 40,000 AFSCME activists to knock on doors, make phones calls and talk with their co-workers and neighbors to produce an unprecedented turnout in the 2008 election.”

The backing of the nation’s largest public service sector union comes in the midst of a series of meetings in Washington this week between Obama and major labor leaders.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Gene

BK... hate to tell you buddy.. this country is already broken. We have the worst economy in we've ever had in our adult life and it's the repubs that have driven us there... and continue to drive us down that path.

June 19, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Proud American

Lets Go Dems!!!!!!

June 19, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

IF this union can help bring either Nevada OR secure Ohio and/or Missouri, then Senator Obama then needs to hold on to the traditional Dem states to win the electoral college.
    Let's hope their mobilization brings it home.

June 19, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. ls

Texas for Obama !!

Obama '08

June 19, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. LA WOMAN

How many women do we know that want to send their kids to war, none right, what endorsement will McCain get? probably the big corporatre guys who don't want their taxes cut up, but in the long run will have to pay the consequences of having their children go to war if McSame get's elected.

June 19, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. Landslide for Obama

I will consider McSame or, is it McWar lucky if he wins Arizona in the GE.

June 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  7. YES WE CAN

How many women do we know that want to send their kids to war, none right? what endorsement will McCain get? probably the big corporatre guys who don't want their taxes cut up, but in the long run will have to pay the consequences of having their children go to war if McSame get's elected.

June 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

DEMOCRATS ARE UNITING IN MORE WAYS THAN REPORTED. REPUBLICANS CANNOT WIN.

June 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  9. BROOKLYN

God bless us all... We are in for four years of speeches diverting us from all of the mistakes...

This is going to be a huge mess.

June 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. OBAMA '08

How many women do we know that want to send their kids to war, none right? what endorsement will McCain get? probably the big corporate guys who don't want their taxes cut up, but in the long run will have to pay the consequences of having their children go to war if McSame get's elected.

June 19, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  11. Lisa, MD

Believe me it is going to get worse. Not trying to bring the bible in this but it is written "Floods, rumors of wars, lovers among themselves, the weather is getting worse with storms tornados, I mean terrible just to name a few. Sorry I just wanted to express that if we as people continuing with our ways Hating and not willing to come together we are going to be in for great awakening very Soon.

June 19, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  12. dave

obama '08

June 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. Fay Tx

TheTruthHurts .................. As an Obama supporter I call on all fellow supporters to stop the bashing, raise the level of dialog and show respect to everyone, including Hillary, McCain and their respective supporters..........I AGREE !!!!

June 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. Ridgeway

Of course the public service sector union endorsed him. What a shock. Lean on the shovel and suck up the benefits. Next will be the NEA, ACLU and all the other bed wetters.

June 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  15. Independent in Des Moines

Don't know on my door. I make my own decisions.

June 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. Texan for Progression

Hey Erick, FL

Why don't you go watch UFC and leave national and world affairs to people who have a clue.

June 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  17. Jenna

The union will not be so happy when they find out that Obama now approved of NAFTA, just like the Memo that was found stating to canadian officials that Obama did not really dislike Nafta, that his opposition was just a campaign ploy. Well now that has turned out to be true.

I dont like to be fooled, dont insult voters intellegence Obama. I will be voting for McCain and lower gas prices.

Democrat for McCain!

June 19, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  18. Another old white woman for Obama

The more the merrier.
    Just for the record, I still remember WW11. I remember gas rationing, no fried chicken on picnics (we had fried rabbit instead). The soldiers were getting the chicken. Spending my days in "Nursery school" because Mom had to work. And eating cold pork and beans and weiners for dinner cause Dad was "cooking". We lived through it. I remember food baskets for the poor and people caring about each other. and sharing what we did have.
    But that was before the "me" generation. I don't miss the wars but I do miss "One nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all" We believed it then. I believe it now.
    Obama '08

June 19, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  19. unions yes!

I work in the airline industry as a maintenenace technition and belong to a union – not the IAM by the way. It saddened me to see Mcbush lobby diligently to get aerospace jobs outsourced to a Foreign country in the form of the contract for the Airforce's new tanker and thus deprive fellow union brothers and sisters of the IAM more positions in this country. You remember Boeing don't you John? It's in Seattle USA.
    I would not vote for Mcsame for dog catcher now.

June 19, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  20. Bill Covington is confused

Bill said "Unions controll democraps, they cannot controll Republicans.Wake Up America!
    ------

Um,. yeah. Because if Republicans had their way, they would outsource all manufacturing jobs...probably yours too. So how do you square that with your thinking?

June 19, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  21. Don

If Obama loses this race, so will Hillary in 4 years. Who cares about racist Bill Clinton. I hope he never endorses Obama. He would have cried foul, if things had be reversed and Obama hadn't endorsed his precious Hillary. But the thought of the great Bill Clinton supported a lowly jr. senator is beneath him.

Well , wake up Bill and smell the coffee. Barack will win inspite of you and Hillary and the world will be a better place.

June 19, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. Texan for Progression

Hey Souza, it's ok...we'll get down in the trenches and fix this whole mess without you. You just sit back and wait to reap the benefits.

June 19, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  23. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

thats great.

June 19, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  24. Jenna

Dear Union yes:

Bush is not running for president, that was the last election. Just thought I should let you know. I am voting for McCain, too lower my gas and heating bill....

Obama wants us to eat less, and quit consuming energy. He stated in Oregon that we should not drive SUV's, or keep our houses at 72 degrees and we must consume less food. If I wanted to live in a third world country I would vote for him.

Democrat for McCain....

June 19, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  25. Foolishness

OK – tired of being accused of being a racist on here because I don't support Obama.

How about this: All you African Americans are racist because you didn't vote for Hillary and she's white.

All of you men are sexist because you didn't vote for Hillary and she's a woman.

Now many of you will say that is absurd... yet you accuse us of that very thing. The point is, we disagree on the best candidate. Plain and simple. Accusations like that won't change our minds.

June 19, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |