June 19th, 2008

Former Clinton-backing union endorses Obama

Sen. Obama met with union leaders Thursday.
Sen. Obama met with union leaders Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees – a 1.4 million-member union that backed Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary – endorsed Barack Obama for president Thursday.

“AFSCME will mobilize more members and invest more resources than ever before to help Senator Obama win the White House,” AFSCME President Gerald McEntee said in a statement. “We will turn out an army of 40,000 AFSCME activists to knock on doors, make phones calls and talk with their co-workers and neighbors to produce an unprecedented turnout in the 2008 election.”

The backing of the nation’s largest public service sector union comes in the midst of a series of meetings in Washington this week between Obama and major labor leaders.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Informed voter from florida

Well don't call me or knock on my door. This democrat is voting for McCain.

June 19, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  2. yme125

This is for all the Souza's out there, True Democrats and True Republicans do not vote individual, but principals. Hillary as well as Obama strive to preserve what all true Democrats agree upon. Let's put our differences aside and build on our common interest. Let's just be D E M O C R A T S

June 19, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  3. Rob

Gee, a workers Union voting against the Republicans who have sent all our good jobs to China. What a shock.

June 19, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. Xena

WHEN THE UNIONS BACKED OBAMA IN THE PRIMARYS IT DID HIM NO GOOD AND IT WILL NOT HELP IN THE GE. PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THE UNIONS DO NOT FOLLOW THE ENDORSEMENTS. THAT WAS FOUND TO BE TRUE IN POLL AFTER POLL.
    HE IS JUST IN IT FOR THE MOOLA.
    HE IS A JOKE... I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR SUCH A LIAR, UNPATRIOTIC, CLOWN.
    MCCAIN 08
    PUMA

June 19, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. Wake UP!!!!

Don...................and Obama hadn't endorsed his precious Hillary. But the thought of the great Bill Clinton supported a lowly jr. senator is beneath him.Well , wake up Bill and smell the coffee. Barack will win inspite of you and Hillary and the world will be a better place
    DON you say wait up..........I think you need to take a NAP.......SEE YA!!!

June 19, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. Independent

"Mike–To all the racists backing McCain and the white supremist party beware that McCain's nickname in Vietnam was Songbird. I wonder if he was a singer."

Typical-If you don't support Obama you are a racist. How about I just don't like his view, his lack of experience, the people he picks as mentors, the list can go on and on......

June 19, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Independent

Have any of you people thought the reason so many company are out sourcing is because of the Unions?

June 19, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  8. ndidi

God bless you Barack.
    America thank you....We definately need a change in this country.
    Anything, anyone is better than what we have now !!!!!!

June 19, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  9. MD

Cool. Repubs have their 527's, we have our unions.

June 19, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  10. Bebe

Sucks to be you McSame........lets see u score the same kind of support.............OBAMA 08......
    MPLS, MN
    BEBE

June 19, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. Erin in Edmonds WA

The oil companies have endorsed McCain–and I didn't think the oil company special interests could get any bigger.. I'm way ticked off that half of what I spend at the gas station going to McCain's campaign.

I also love all the McShame/McWar names that people are making up–and the repugnicans can only come up with "NOBAMA". I normally hate to say "I told you so", but in this case, I will be revelling!

Unite for Obama, and let's keep working to make November 08 an official OBAMARAMA!! We are his peeps!!

June 19, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  12. Irma in North Carolina

I have one thing to say to the Hillary suporters who say they are going to vote for Mccain, can you not get it through your head that would be another 4 years of Bush. You arent much of a Hillary suporter by doing this. Ask your self is Hillary voting for Mccain, I think not.

June 19, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  13. William

Any Hillary supporter capable of voting for McCain in this election was never a supporter of hers to begin with. What McCain basically said here was....

Obama is breaking his promise to use public funding and that makes him a terrible guy but I'm gonna think about doing it to.

If McCain is so hell bent on maintaining integrity he'd take the public funding like HE said he would. It would be foolhardy for Obama to take public funding and level the playing field when he's so close to taking the presidency.

June 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. Jen, CA

Union backers, consider this:

Michelle Obama likes to play up her “humble beginnings,” yet her father was certainly more than the “simple laborer” as she likes to portray. He was a volunteer organizer for the city's Democratic Party, which helped him to obtain a $42,686 annually way back then – more than any other teacher at the time.

Michelle received a salary bump of roughly $150 thousand per year only two months after Barack was sworn in as a U.S. senator.

She and Obama try portray themselves as "the champions of the little guy." They live in a multi-million-dollar mansion in Chicago’s South Side, and earned $4.2 million in the last tax year. “Champions of the little guy” – INDEED!

Is THIS what unions consider "just"?

June 19, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  15. USArmyParatrooper

Mary Walsh, it's wonderful to know you would vote for someone that (opposes) your core values. Your spite and bitterness Enjoy your knew nominee, and I'm sure you'll be supporting his platform.

"John McCain believes Roe v. Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned, and as president he will nominate judges who understand that courts should not be in the business of legislating from the bench. "

June 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. USArmyParatrooper

Hey, "Informed voter from florida", since you're a self-proclaimed Democrat please do share with us which part of McCain's platform attracts you. Thank you, I await your reply.

June 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  17. Debbie

Good news for Obama.
    I can't believe the Clinton fans are still staying they are going to vote for McCain.
    Especially women – after what's come out about his this week with regards to his voting on "women's issues".
    How BITTER and PATHETIC can you get – this country needs to get back on track on so many levels – and we need to do it this year.
    Anyone who votes for McCain will have have blood on their hands!

June 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  18. obamachick Los Angeles

Can we all just get along!
    Jenna you are not a true Dem,because you would not be voting for McBush. Either you are a Dem or a republican trying to get people to vote for Mcbush.
    It's time for a change. The way I see it we can try to change the goverment as in WE THE PEOPLE or we can continue to enjoy another 8 years of Bush.
    Your call
    OBAMA 08....AND ANY DEMOCRAT THAT CAN HELP WIN THOSE RED STATES:)

June 19, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  19. JFK

Thats fine by me, I am still writing in Hillarys name come November. I do not have to change my mind.

June 19, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. maksim tsionskiy

Jenna

are you idiot or just pretend to be?
    Obama is and was always against NAFTA. What you believe rumor about Canada? lol I bet you clinton supporter. Well lets see, didn't she one who was on meeting for Nafta, and also campaign manager had to resign over NAFTA? get facts straight and then come back. SHE lost. IF you vote for Mccain you actually not true hillary supporter, because the values of her is opposite of MCCAIN. So if you voting for MCCAIN then you voting against her anyway and you be shooting your own foot. You need to grow up

June 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  21. Cynthia

I think that it is wonderful that they endorsed Senator Obama. The more the merrier.

June 19, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  22. pmp2008

EDW – Any unions backing McCain???

Oil CEO Union for sure.

June 19, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  23. susie

Now that Hillary is out of the race, Obama should have a bigger lead, but doesn't. Why?? Obama flip-flops.

June 19, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  24. maksim tsionskiy

Informed voter from florida

dude I am from florida too, you not totally not informed, just an idiot. How you like Oil Rig in your back yard, I hope you do if you vote for mcsame. by the way grow up and facts first

June 19, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  25. Clinton voter for Obama

I welcome all Clinton supporters to join me in voting for Obama.

June 19, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |