June 20th, 2008

Clinton, Huckabee frontrunners for vice president ... on Facebook

Clinton has the most support among Facebook members speculating about Obama's running mate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In an election that's been indelibly shaped by the Internet, veepstakes speculation is alive and well on Facebook, world's sixth most-trafficked Web site.

Among Democrats on the popular social networking site, Hillary Clinton is far and away the favorite to be tapped as Barack Obama's running mate. For John McCain, Mike Huckabee leads the prospective vice presidential pack.

More than 3,000 Facebook members have joined over 40 groups supporting Clinton for vice president, though most of the groups were originally formed to push for an Obama-Clinton unity ticket during the long primary battle. Once Clinton dropped out, many of these Facebook groups started pushing for her to be tapped as Obama's running mate.

Clinton is trailed by John Edwards, who is backed by 18 groups with nearly 2,000 members. He's followed by Bill Richardson with 514 Facebook supporters, putting the New Mexico governor slightly ahead of Joe Biden, who has 510 fans hoping Obama puts him on the ticket.

The Democratic frontrunners are followed, in descending order, by Jim Webb, Kathleen Sebelius, Al Gore, Wes Clark, Chuck Hagel, Evan Bayh, Mark Warner, Claire McCaskill and Janet Napolitano.

Three students at an all-girls Catholic high school in Houston are rooting for Obama to tap long shot Democratic candidate Mike Gravel. And one 18-member Facebook group, launched in February of last year, is holding out hope that Obama will choose Bill Clinton as his running mate.

Among Republicans, Huckabee (3,697 Facebook supporters) and Mitt Romney (over 2,700 supporters) are the favorites to share the ticket with McCain. But aside from McCain's former presidential rivals, few GOP politicians seem to be generating much buzz on the site.

Bobby Jindal, Sarah Palin and Condoleezza Rice have a few hundred supporters each, just a fraction of the frontrunners' total. They're followed by Haley Barbour, Fred Thompson, John Thune and Mark Sanford.

And Charlie Crist, who regularly tops speculation among political observers, draws just 11 supporters. One of them is Canadian.

1. Argggggg!

They've got to be frontfunners for Facebook, because the real world is tired of them. If I see that Huckabeast one more time I think I'm going to puke. And if I hear one more of Hillary's lies, I'll puke again.

June 20, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Jim Wade, Cedar Rapids IA

...probably because they are the two most known individuals on the poll at this time due to them being the last ones to exit the primaries...

June 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Theresa

CNN don't shut down my comments with regards to Nader's story.
    Here is again:
    This is democratic country. Nader deserves to present his opinions.
    I don’t understand these people or is it because the majority of you become anarchists who try to shut down other candidates. Those of you who only think about achieving high scores in grand theft auto game rather than reading the news about facts. Read, study, analyze and compare what their idea are and choose (use your brain and not your mouth and don’t use foul language unless you aren’t smart enough to use intelligent arguments) which one has better idea, which one is for or against Americans’ interests with regard to NAFTA/economy, foreign policies, etc.
    This is not American Idol or any singing, acting, dancing or speech competitions.

June 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Eugene

Obama is a flip flop liar. He is the same old politician. He flip flop about Public Funding and NAFTA. During the primary, he said he did not aware of his staff talking to the Canadian about NAFTA but look at his position about NAFTA now, it is exactly what his staff said to the Canadian that time. He lies to Americans to get votes. This is change that you can expect from him. Also, at the Al Gore endorsement Obama rally, when the Governor of Michigan mention Hillary name, Obama's supporters boo her rudely. This is the Unity that Obama promise you. This is another change that you can expect from Obama. After all of this, I suggest all Americans do not ever listen to anything Obama say but look at what Obama did instead. He will never get my support or my vote no matter what Hillary say to convince us to support him. I simply can not support a flip flop liar.

June 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. She's Not, MO

Hillary is NOT an honorable woman. I keep saying that for a reason, she really isn't. Her mother raised her stupidly, to think only of herself. We can't use her on our team. Kick her to the curb and let her ruin someone else's administration.

June 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Bobby

At a time of non-stop news, endless "extreme" everything, how dumb is this article? Give it a rest, guys!

June 20, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Huck-a-NUT is a religious head case!

Oh, yeah put a religious nut case in the White House. We are already going back 100 years with McCain, now send us back to biblical days with Huckanut!

I might as well order my FDLS dress and hairdo now.

June 20, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. jenn in Cape Cod

Obama is very liberal and needs a moderate to conservative Democrat with LOTS of experience to balance out his ticket-while Edwards is certainly likeable, he and Obama are just the same and the Republicans will bury them in November by promoting them as weak JimmyCarter-types. I hate to say it but Obama NEEDs Hillary now. If he doesn't choose her I think he'll lose against a strong McCain/Romney ticket. Jennifer Cape Cod

June 20, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. Dana, OR

No one wants to be the VP, after such a bruising primary. Hillary only thinks about herself, which makes life easy. I always ask myself, now what does Hillary want–and it's always something selfish.

In this case, she wants to be prez in 2012, which means she'll have to stab Barack in the back. So, I'm not buying her getting onboard and "helping" Barack. Help him do what, step off a cliff.

She's poison, get let her go back home to NY, or wherever she's from.

June 20, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. let's see...

Facebook is a group that is 95% junior high, HS, and college kids that really know nothing about what they want.

Some will know, but the vast majority have no idea what they want or how they want it.

As a young man myself (26), what I stand for is what is not now, but 30 years from now.

My age bracket will not have SS or medicare, our debt in borrowed money is $44 trillion dollars, while we bring in around $6 trillion annually...

We are in tremendous trouble keeping our country alive if we don't do something about it.

Neither candidate cares about this at all, so why should I care? I invest in gold, silver, and ammunition because that is what will keep me alive.

June 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Ben

What is the point of this article? It clearly shows who some people want to be given the VP nod, NOT who will actually be the given the nod. Hillary is clearly stubborn and powerhungry, which generally won't yield a good working relationship with a president. Moreover, her husband shares these same qualities, and will follow her. She isn't the front runner. If you want to know who the frontrunner is, don't use facebook, rather look at Intrade, where people bet on who will be the VP. Currently, Web leads with nearly a 25% chance of getting the nod. Hillary, by contrast, only has a 12% chance, despite having a huge number of supporters.

June 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. MLG

McCain/Huckabee 08

June 20, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Dee Dee, PA

Whaaaaaaaaa, look at me, let me be VP, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I can't stand Hillary and I would never ask her back on any stage, because she does not know when to leave. I can't stand to look at her.

June 20, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. Jeff

Hillary as VP still wouldn't help Obama!

He's unelectable!

Hillary – stay away from this loser!

June 20, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. Bob Indianapolis, IN

OOhhh! FACEBOOK! McSame's big hook-up with the young people...

June 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. Dawn, IA

I hate liars. Especially the ones who say they're working for the people when they are really working for themselves. Hillary is one of those liars. She really doesn't care about the people and will lie, steal, and cheat her way up the ladder.

Thanks for showing your true colors. And to think I respected her at one time. Not anymore, my eyes are wide open.

June 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. J. McKinney

I can only hope and pray that the Obama team has the good judgement to offer Hillary the VP position. I don't think they will, but it is the only way i will vote for him. And I can't see what he has against H. Clinton being his VP, as he has most of Bill Clinton's team now hired. What's the big deal about "change" with all the Clinton team working for him? I can only hope that Obama screws up BEFORE he gets the nomination in Aug., because I know he will after if not before, when it is too late to get Hillary for our Dem. nomination.
    The news is still protecting Obama and Michelle. I was watching her on the View, and she DID say Obama was "pathetic", not empathetic. She said "He's so sweet and pathetic". If she had said it the other way, she would have said "sweet and empathetic", there was no pause there for a comma. But everyone is covering for her. She runs him completely–if he gets elected, she will be our president, and he just a figurehead. God help us then. We desperately need Hillary.

June 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  18. You should have voted for Hillary!!!

If Edwards get's on the ticket I will never vote for Obama. I will write Hillary's name in or just stay home that day...

June 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  19. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

I Dont Think Hillary Is Going To Be Number Two When She Would Have A Lot More Influence Back In The Senate!

June 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  20. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Jim at 1:51pm, good observation.

As an Obama supporter, I'm okay with whomever he selects as long as he does the proper "Vetting."
    And if that's Senator Clinton, I'm all for it. She brings a wealth of knowledge, contacts and a support group of more than 10 million strong. So, while she'd attract some people to the polls who'd vote against her, (yes, there are a LOT of people who don't like her and that was before the primaries really got started), I think she'd solidify Ohio, Pennsylvania and perhaps Florida. As well, Arkansas could turn. With those states, Obama is President.

I'm tired of the last 6 years otf total Republican domination, and then the last 1 1/2 years with a Repub as President.
    And guess what? According to an AP/IPSOS poll recently, 80% of Americans feel that this country is on the wrong track.

If I look at many of McCain's policies, a good number of them follow along the same poor outcomes that President Bush provided for us. So, again, whomever Obama chooses, I'm good with that.

I will say, growing up as a Baptist, I like some of Huckabees social outlook. I just didn't care for any of his policies. And like Obama, I'd let McCain choose his own. He's pretty smart enough to do that.

June 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. WD

HILLARY! HILLARY! HILLARY! HILLARY!!

June 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  22. Haha

Either of the two are huge mistakes.

June 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  23. American

Who cares what the Repugnants do....but as for the Democrats, I don't think Clinton would be a right fit for Obama....not because she is not a good candidate, but she may be bigger than what that position offers and end up overplaying her hand and undermining his postions. She definitely should get a position of power within the party but VP might be a slap in the face for her....plus, deep down I still think she and her cohorts hopes Obama loses so that she can run again in 4 yrs, cus they know that if McBush wins, he won't last more than 4 yrs.

June 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  24. proud army and navy mom

so?

Sen Obama will make the decision in his own time. Give it a rest, pleeeease.

June 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Down with Obama

She should be the one running for President!!!!!!!!!

Obama should not even be on the ticket. Obama is selected, NOT Elected!!!!!!!

PUMApac