June 20th, 2008

Clinton, Huckabee frontrunners for vice president ... on Facebook

Clinton has the most support among Facebook members speculating about Obama's running mate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In an election that's been indelibly shaped by the Internet, veepstakes speculation is alive and well on Facebook, world's sixth most-trafficked Web site.

Among Democrats on the popular social networking site, Hillary Clinton is far and away the favorite to be tapped as Barack Obama's running mate. For John McCain, Mike Huckabee leads the prospective vice presidential pack.

More than 3,000 Facebook members have joined over 40 groups supporting Clinton for vice president, though most of the groups were originally formed to push for an Obama-Clinton unity ticket during the long primary battle. Once Clinton dropped out, many of these Facebook groups started pushing for her to be tapped as Obama's running mate.

Clinton is trailed by John Edwards, who is backed by 18 groups with nearly 2,000 members. He's followed by Bill Richardson with 514 Facebook supporters, putting the New Mexico governor slightly ahead of Joe Biden, who has 510 fans hoping Obama puts him on the ticket.

The Democratic frontrunners are followed, in descending order, by Jim Webb, Kathleen Sebelius, Al Gore, Wes Clark, Chuck Hagel, Evan Bayh, Mark Warner, Claire McCaskill and Janet Napolitano.

Three students at an all-girls Catholic high school in Houston are rooting for Obama to tap long shot Democratic candidate Mike Gravel. And one 18-member Facebook group, launched in February of last year, is holding out hope that Obama will choose Bill Clinton as his running mate.

Among Republicans, Huckabee (3,697 Facebook supporters) and Mitt Romney (over 2,700 supporters) are the favorites to share the ticket with McCain. But aside from McCain's former presidential rivals, few GOP politicians seem to be generating much buzz on the site.

Bobby Jindal, Sarah Palin and Condoleezza Rice have a few hundred supporters each, just a fraction of the frontrunners' total. They're followed by Haley Barbour, Fred Thompson, John Thune and Mark Sanford.

And Charlie Crist, who regularly tops speculation among political observers, draws just 11 supporters. One of them is Canadian.

1. anthony

who gives a crap about facebook?! I mean, we are pretty sure hillary is not going to be the VP cuz look at her future chief of staff in the obama admin. Yea so cross our BILLARY

June 20, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Independent in Iowa

HUCKABEE would be the biggest mistake for McCain. He's creepy!

Arggggg!? Would you like me to get you a bag? Thank goodness Obama's lies don't affect you that way.

June 20, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. paul

Senator Clinton is at the top of my wish list for the vp slot on this ticket – in fact she is the only real option in my opinion after the primary election the Democratic party just completed. Haters can say what they want about Senator Clinton but she is a smart and great lady and many of us support her (even college educated white males under the age of 45 like myself)

June 20, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. What if?

As I read this column, it reminds me of how some of the voters swears out Obama thinks he Jesus, Moses or a Savior. To be honest, who really think they are the people from the bible......

The next time you begin to think about Obama in this manner, direct it to the real people, The Clintons. They felt and still feel they are entitle to EVERYTHING, no matter who is honestly entitled to it………………

THEY THINKS IT’S THEIRS FOR THE TAKING.

Be Careful Obama, Things may not be what they seem………….

June 20, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  5. Phil in KC

Interesting that the younger crowd (I think it's safe to say that the Facebook crowd generally represents a younger demographic) are going for some of the more traditional candidates. You might have thought they would have been looking at the candidates that more outwardly reflect change.

June 20, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. Pumas aren't Democrats Anymore

The thought of Clinton on his ticket makes me nausea. I don't not feel Obama has to pander to her voters, they are either for the issues or they are not. If Clinton had won most of Obamas supporters would've backed her, Obama OR not. You want to know why? Because his supporters are people who are TIRED of Washington politics as is. We want someone DIFFERENT (btw, Clinton is no change). We want things to change for the better, we are beyond tired of Bush's "I'll do what I want, screw the people" way of running government. And as much as I cannot stand Clinton after this primary, I would've NEVER considered voting McCain over her. Its called maturity, and you PUMAS need to learn it. Also, PUMAS, stop calling yourself Democrats. Also, stop calling yourself Clinton supporters, she's not running anymore. Let it go.

Obama to the White House with... or without Clinton

June 20, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Chut Pata

Huckabee is a "Social Conservative" and is not acceptable to Republican party. They would want far right maniacs like Mitt Romney.

Hillary has too much baggage of her own and even more of her husband (the latest gal he is screwing is Julia McMohan per National Enquirer). She may make it miraclously but not with her husband.

June 20, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. Christina

Ok, so 3,000 on facebook for the Obama/Clinton ticket. There is another group with close to 1,000,000 against Hillary Clinton all together. At one time, there were over one million in that group. Why wasn't that reported?

June 20, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. chris

3000 people constitutes a movement on facebook? are you aware that there was a group entitled "if 1,000,000 people join this group, my girlfriend will have a threesome with me" that had several hundred thousand members? I'm sure you can find "Stephen Colbert" support groups with totals a whole order of magnitude higher than that. Why was this article even written?

June 20, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. Todd

People from outside of Louisiana who continue to tout Bobby Jindal for VP, obviuosly haven't been watching what he is actually doing as Governor. I was and hope to continue to be one of his supporters, but there are 2 main issues right now that have a large majority of Louisiana voters upset...his decision not to veto a 200% pay raise for the state legislature which would take effect July 1st, and a repeal on the Stelly Tax (which would help considering gas prices), but he doesn't favor the repeal to take effect until 2010. Do a google news search and you will see the anger, even suggestions of recall.

June 20, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. 4 THE CONSTITUTION

More Indepents DON'T want Clinton on the ticket! How can she be on the ticket when the RNC bases most of their attacks on what she and her clan have said about Obama? CNN-still pushing-still dividing the Dems by keeping this option up front-making it harder for her supporters to move on.

June 20, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Carol, San Luis Obispo, CA

Facebook? Someone is paid to monitor Facebook and write a political piece based on their findings?

June 20, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  13. Matt: honestly

You PUMA folk make me (and much of the nation) laugh. You say you are 18 million strong. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Right. Get a life, and stop being BITTER that your candidate did not get picked.

June 20, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. crazydrumguy

It's on Facebook? Well, Obama and McCain just have no choice.

June 20, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Terry

Since they both refused to exit when the time has come and gone to do so, most people noticed them. Nothing more to it. Believe me.

June 20, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. Darth Vadik, CA

Poor old McCain,
    he's going to get steamrolled,
    worst Republican loss since Goldwater/Miller ticket
    and I cant wait for it.

June 20, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. Marilyn

NOT HILLARY PLEASE.

June 20, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. independent

if a woman and black man govern this country, it will be a better place to live

June 20, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. What if?

I would trust Republicans, Huckabee, before any Clinton. At least he isn't claiming to be a democrat, but act like a republican. When he comments negatively, it's not by discrediting someone in his own party.

Obama/Huckabee 08

June 20, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. Eugene

As a Clinton supporter that will not vote for Obama, I hope she does not accept a request to be the Vice President nominee. With or without her. Obama will lose the general election. The Republican attack machine has not even started yet and with the polls showing about a tie vote, its really going to look bad for Obama. I will be casting my vote for Nader.

June 20, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. john williams san diego, ca.

FOOLS for HILLARY...even now it's all about Hillary..She still has a need for those ruby heels.

June 20, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. Charlotte

Naders only purpose it to pull votes from the the main characters. He has been successful in the past and will do so again. I will write Hillary on my ballot, as will many that I know. I cannot vote for anyone that may be on my ballot at this time. If Hillary is asked and agrees to be Obamas VP, I might vote for that ticket. It would be hard for me to do, but that is the only way Obama gets my vote.

June 20, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. yardstylze

Dan Abrams showed footage he uncovered of a Fox News interview with John McCain on March 13, 2008, in which McCain said, "I didn't really love America until I was deprived of her company."

Abrams thinks McCain's comments could undermine the "right wing's steady attacks against Michelle Obama."

June 20, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  24. A.K.

How is this news?

Really?

June 20, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. ProundToBeADemocrat

Bla,Bla,Bla Here goes Wolf with his obssesion with V.P pick. Give it a Rest Wolf you keep barking like a Wolf we are not in rash to know who the V.P's are.

June 20, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |