June 20th, 2008

Clinton, Huckabee frontrunners for vice president ... on Facebook

Clinton has the most support among Facebook members speculating about Obama's running mate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In an election that's been indelibly shaped by the Internet, veepstakes speculation is alive and well on Facebook, world's sixth most-trafficked Web site.

Among Democrats on the popular social networking site, Hillary Clinton is far and away the favorite to be tapped as Barack Obama's running mate. For John McCain, Mike Huckabee leads the prospective vice presidential pack.

More than 3,000 Facebook members have joined over 40 groups supporting Clinton for vice president, though most of the groups were originally formed to push for an Obama-Clinton unity ticket during the long primary battle. Once Clinton dropped out, many of these Facebook groups started pushing for her to be tapped as Obama's running mate.

Clinton is trailed by John Edwards, who is backed by 18 groups with nearly 2,000 members. He's followed by Bill Richardson with 514 Facebook supporters, putting the New Mexico governor slightly ahead of Joe Biden, who has 510 fans hoping Obama puts him on the ticket.

The Democratic frontrunners are followed, in descending order, by Jim Webb, Kathleen Sebelius, Al Gore, Wes Clark, Chuck Hagel, Evan Bayh, Mark Warner, Claire McCaskill and Janet Napolitano.

Three students at an all-girls Catholic high school in Houston are rooting for Obama to tap long shot Democratic candidate Mike Gravel. And one 18-member Facebook group, launched in February of last year, is holding out hope that Obama will choose Bill Clinton as his running mate.

Among Republicans, Huckabee (3,697 Facebook supporters) and Mitt Romney (over 2,700 supporters) are the favorites to share the ticket with McCain. But aside from McCain's former presidential rivals, few GOP politicians seem to be generating much buzz on the site.

Bobby Jindal, Sarah Palin and Condoleezza Rice have a few hundred supporters each, just a fraction of the frontrunners' total. They're followed by Haley Barbour, Fred Thompson, John Thune and Mark Sanford.

And Charlie Crist, who regularly tops speculation among political observers, draws just 11 supporters. One of them is Canadian.

1. Florida Guy

If Hillary is not Obama's VP this Democrat wil be voting for McCain along with many other I have spoken to.

June 20, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  2. Still for Hill but now ONLY for Hill

Clinton is the best choice for president.

Obama is just a pandering, lying opportunist- with no regard for the people.

He does whatever is necessary to advance himself.

He is disgusting.

HRC should not even endorse this imposter.

I will ONLY vote for HRC.

June 20, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. Willam from Texas

Facebook is not the only one who wants Hillary as VP.

Go to voteboth.com and put your name on the list to elect both of them.

June 20, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Chan

Obama and Me
    McCain and Me

How about that?

Do not take any bad from Hillary, she is very nice and she has fought like anything against many evils and forces... when she was tired and go back, she still in line to fight, and at the same time, you would be frutsrated and accepts some trickts to play, she might be did on forcely,,,, but do not ever say she is bad... you also will do many nasty things in tension and at the time loosing... first think about you, how hard u can stand in the competetion... she is AWESOME ... GREAT... I am independent and won't vote anyone... but this is my humble opinion...

June 20, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. dirty politics

Hillary Clinton is the clear and obvious leader for ALL the American people.

Obama made sure he sabotaged her... so that he would be the sole remaining democrat and would win by default.

Obama knows people will pick EVEN the LEAST qualified and least desirable democrat over any republican.

All Obama had to do was GET rid of the one qualified candidate- HRC-and he was home free.

SO HE PLAYED THE RACE CARD TO ELIMINATE HER. Now he stands a chance just by being the democratic nominee.

Won't work for me. I will now vote against Obama and his dirty politics.

June 20, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I strongly doubt Huckabee will get the Republican nod. Romney has much more to offer and helps balance the ticket both economically and from a family values perspective.

Hillary/Obama have no economic or war credentials, let alone conservative family values. The best they can offer is a step toward women and African-Americans proving they can succeed at t he highest levels, which is significant and a token gesture from voters, but will not make up for the damage I expect them to do to this country.

Honestly I don't have much confidence in McCain, either, but Romney on the ticket gives me hope for the future and helps tip the scales McCain's way.

June 20, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. dave

Politics are boring with out Hillary!! I want her to be the VP!

June 20, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. No More Clintons, California

Have had enough of the Clintons dramas and inability! Let's turn the page on Washington dirty old politics! No more Bush-Clinton-Bush!

Beside, the Clintons are backstabbing knife fighter who just does not know when to quit!

Hillary fought unnecessary primary elections and deepened her campaign debts and nowshe wants to unload her debts on to Obama! What a screw up she is!

Never, never, never vote another Clinton!

June 20, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. CT

The hundred or so facebook users that voted for Bobby Jindal for Vp need to come down to Louisiana right now. The Republican darling isn't well liked right now, even by his own supporters.

June 20, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Trish

Hillary is to good for VP and BO can't beat McCain w/o her – Oh well.

June 20, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. Ryuken

These are college students saying this? They must be poor students b/c we know that a former President can not serve as VP. If the POTUS were to die or be removed from the POTUS position that would make the VP the President and an individual can only serve 2 terms as POTUS. Where do these students go to school?

I'm backing Obama if he picks Hillary – otherwise I vote McCain!

June 20, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. dirty politics

If ALL states allowed a write-in option for Presisent....

HILLARY CLINTON WOULD TROUNCE THE OTHER TWO "OFFICIAL NOMINEES".

The American People all realize that she was sabotaged and run out of the campaign. We all realize that we are the ones who will suffer because the media and the DNC selected our nominee. We know that she was throttled and bashed and forced to quit. But we know that Obama is not the leader we want or need.

Such fixed elections and dirty politics don't sit well with true democrats.

June 20, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. John

voteboth.com

Obama/Clinton 08!!!

DEMOCRATS UNITE> OBAMA DO THE RIGHT THING OR I WILL VOTE MCCAIN IN 08!

June 20, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Rick

Are you kidding me? Facebook? Did they also vote that they would like to see Britney Spears named as Secretary of State?

June 20, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Pam

I'm guessing that the vast majority of people on Facebook aren't even old enough to vote. And we're supposed to care what they think about the VP spots?

June 20, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  16. Greg

Stupidest article I have seen yet regarding the election

June 20, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Anyone But Hillary

I'll be voting for Obama regardless of who his VP choice is, as long as it isn't Mrs. Clinton. If he chooses her then I will be voting independent or not at all. I personally know literally hundreds of people who will also do this.

Better not choose Hillary, or your campaign might be in trouble.

June 20, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. dirty Obama

Obama with his smooth talk can get away with the worst lies and deception.

He played dirty politics to run HRC out of the game and get himself installed as the democratic nominee.

He knew that with Hillary out of the way... even someone as unqualified and worthless as he, could waltz into the white house after 8 years of Bush.

But I will NOW NEVER VOTE for him. I am voting against Obama to protest the insidious way that he stole the nomination away from the more qualified LEADER that the people wanted.

June 20, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. Rita

Hillary and Obama are a world changing combination. Two great minds, both working hard for US, the American People.
    OBAMA/Clinton 08 YES... YES....Yes

June 20, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. Carrie Anna Criado

Clinton and Obama brought a lot of energy to the Democratic party in their bid for the Presidential nomination and know they will become even stronger working together if Obama solidies a role for Clinton now as VP on the ticket!

June 20, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. marshapuerto

how about lou dobbs for vice president

June 20, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. TKB Worldwide

Obama would have to be out of his mind to select Clinton as his VP. Her campaign did everything in it's power to kill him off and I wouldn't put it past her to sabbotage his Presidency if elected so she could ascend to her throne. It would be political suicide! I mean really...how could he trust that woman? Does he remember her JFK remark? From the heart the mouth speaks! It will be interesting.

June 20, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  23. Yvonne Sanchez

Obama should consider himself lucky if Hillary agrees to be his VP.
    She'll bring much more experience to the table than he ever will.

I still vote Hillary Clinton !!!

June 20, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. No McBush

WHO HAS LOVABLE PRIDE OF AMERICA?

A Fox News interview with John McCain on March 13, 2008, in which McCain said, "I didn"t really love America until I was deprived of her company."

"I didn"t really love America…"
    "I didn"t really love America…"
    "I didn"t really love America…"
    "I didn"t really love America…"

"For the first time in my adult lifetime, I"m really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

"For the first time in my adult lifetime, I"m really proud of my country…"
    "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I"m really proud of my country…"
    "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I"m really proud of my country…"
    "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I"m really proud of my country…"

Using the word really, really indicates there was always LOVE and or PRIDE, just there is now an abundance, a fulfillment, an increase in LOVE & PRIDE!!!

I think BOTH Michelle and John have equal LOVE & PRIDE, so smear that you right wing nuts, and if you are offended that your just as nuts as the left wing nuts! There is NOT a liberal AMERICA or a conservative AMERICA, there is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

"I didn"t really love America…" (UNTIL) "For the first time in my adult lifetime,… I(became)really proud of my country…" when? When I was deprived of her!

June 20, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. Obama is scum

Obama is a master of deception and he dirty politicked himself into the nomination:
    playing the race-card
    agitating his supporters into anti-Hillary hate
    Strong-arming into wins at caucus.
    Disenfranchising Fl and Mi voters.
    Lying about Hillary and bashing and trashing her.
    Manipulating the media into supporting him- even as he lies.

June 20, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |