June 20th, 2008

McClellan doubts Bush knew about CIA leak

Scott McClellan testified before Congress Friday.
Scott McClellan testified before Congress Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A former Bush spokesman said Friday he did not think the president knew about the leak of a CIA agent's identity, but refused to give the same assurances about Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I do not think the president had any knowledge" of the revelation of Valerie Plame Wilson's identity, Scott McClellan said at a House Judiciary committee hearing. "In terms of the vice president, I do not know."

McClellan said the White House is still concealing information about its role in the leak of a CIA agent's identity.

"This matter continues to be investigated by Congress because of what the White House has chosen to conceal from the public," McClellan said. "Despite assurances that the administration would discuss the matter once the Special Counsel had completed his work, the White House has sought to avoid public scrutiny and accountability."

Full story

Filed under: President Bush • Valerie Plame
  1. Not fooled by distractions.

Oooooo Scottie – you better get yourself some heavy security...

I wish you would have spoken up sooner, just to prove what the majority had already known. Funny, Scotts being painted as Benedict Arnold, and here Cheney is the actual scum bag. I find it hard to believe that any decent american could support cheney et. al in this. Shame on you.

June 20, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. Charlotte

This administration is guilty of treason. To reveal a undercover operative is an act of treason. Perhaps if Nancy Pelosi wasn't so busy trying to get Obama the nomination, she would have time to do her job and impeach Bush and Cheney....

June 20, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. Jack Colson

Scott M is like Richardson when he was Energy Secretary – a slightly dumb lazy person.
    Obama is not the answer – he is a radical liberal w/Marxists traits.
    Jack C
    Oregon

June 20, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  4. Carol, San Luis Obispo, CA

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Especially if it's the President.

What an administration! That's all the President's long time friend and former press secretary can come up with to answer Congressional inquiry? The President was uninformed.

No wonder the White House didn't invoke privilege. They didn't need to.

This has to be one of the lowest points in the history of the US.

June 20, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. Why???

Enough is enough!

Let’s clean up the White House. This is the only year I have gotten a clearer understanding of politic. Everything is being told and released. We have seen the candidates income taxes, heard about their medical condition and childhood report cards and etc. Oops my bag, where is your childhood report card McCain? I have been left in a loop for a long time, but this year is a time for change. I have never donated a $1 to the presidential fund by checking the box off on my income taxes. So, why should I fund this program when Uncle Sam wants me to pay every single dime that I owe him? If it just a penny, they want me make a money order for that amount. In my opinion, the money that has already been collected for the presidential fund should be used toward other worth while programs. I will continue to send my small contributions to Obama campaign, that way I know I have a voice.

PS – Who is this Uncle Sam? What side of my family did he originate from? Or is he related to the Republicans? I thought uncles should be giving their nieces and nephews money instead of asking us to send him some.

June 20, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Charlotte

Neither Nixon nor Clinton were impeached. Nixon resigned rather then face impeachment. His VP, Spiro Agnew resigned also. Clinton was charged but not convicted. Some people never seem to know the facts, they just spew hatred.

June 20, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Sammy

One thing to remember..... Bush is nothing compared to Nixon. Love him or despise him, Nixon was smart and one of the most politically savvy presidents we ever had. He ran the administration. There is no way Bush could handle things as well even if he tried.

Also, right now nobody can point to any crime Bush himself committed. There is a lot of innuendo, suspicion and negativity. But the people around him are smart enough to make sure the law is on their side. Or at the least that the law is vague enough to allow for a favorable interpretation. Everything Bush does is because the house+senate gave him the power to do it. Keep in mind... Bill wasnt impeached for sex. It was stupid of him to do it and maybe even enough for him to resign. But despite what his opponents prayed for it wasnt a crime.

June 20, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

What a great American; Scott you are a national hero!

June 20, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. john williams san diego, ca.

Give McClellan a break..This guy is just like Congress-completely clueless about everything except their expanding egos.

June 20, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  10. Bill

He doesn't know the truth-one way or another but that doesn't stop him. What kind of testimony is "I think'" and "I don't know"? That's just talk, not testimony. Doesn't prove or disprove anything.

June 20, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. Crush Rush

At least two XL orange jumpsuits coming up,Rove and Cheney.

June 20, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. Art Menendez

...in other words, Scott really has no idea of all the facts. Who was it that made the 30 pieces of silver in old times to crucify an innocent man?

June 20, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Jean

MC CULLEN COULD NOT HAVE SPOKEN UP FOR ANY THING IN THE POSITION HE HAD. TEXAS POLITICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN SMASHED LIKE A BUG WHILE EVERY ONE LOOKED THE OTHER WAY.

June 20, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  14. Steve Carreras

There are no facts presented in Scott's testimony, only his "I thinks" which shows nothing of substance. He needs to present evidence of the propaganda and show how it is only propaganda. He can't, because Scott is just selling a book - and himself to boot. Will this same Democrat-led committee ask Scott's boss while he was in the White House to substantiate or deny Scott's comments?

June 20, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. WisCon

Charlotte, yes clinton was impeached, for lying under oath.

June 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. carepi

Bush, Cheney and their gang should be prosecuted for war crimes. we alway or the media counts how many of our brave men have died, but you keep forgetting that the death toll of iraquis, (inocent lives) is more than 5 times of our military, for what? so the big oil companies can profit from this?.... this is just a huge injustice, Genocide at it's best. Wake up people, look at the people you elected to misled this country for the last 8 years!. We are, as humans, "equal brothers". stop the killing, stop the treats.

is this the end of times?

obama/gore!

June 20, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Sujith, NE

If you dare to compare the two, let me ask you – Now, who is running for the president again?

John McCain, March 13, 2008 "I didn"t really love America until I was deprived of her company."

Michelle Obama "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I"m really proud of my country"

Obama 08 !

June 20, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. DJ, LA, CA

All the Republicans STILL are in denial! Wake-up.

It's pathetic that the Neo-Cons claim Clarke, O'Neill, Tenet and now McClellan are all liars, working for the Obama campaign or blame Democrats or some other excuse for similar accusations.

June 20, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. GET OUT of TOWN

Jeff D, South Bend........Of course Bush didn't know. He has the IQ of my pet rock..........DITTO .......................EXACTLY..........poor Mr Bush he wasn't aware of the PRICE of GAS @ a press conference .....................
    BUT ...........(.CHENEY and THE Pillsbury Dough BOY KARL ROVE)

June 20, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  20. AMW

GOD BLESS SCOTT McCLELLAN.
    TOO BAD THE CONGRESS DOES NOT HAVE HIS COURAGE. WHY CAN'T BUSH AND CHANEY BE IMPEACHED? THEY OUGHT TO BE. THEY CERTAINLY NEED TO BE QUESTIONED UNDER OATH AND ON C-SPAN. ( DON'T EXPECT FOX TO COVER ANY STORY SEEKING THE TRUTH).

"CRUCIFY AND INNOCENT MAN"???? ARE YOU COMPARING BUSH OR CHANEY TO JESUS????? I SINCERELY DOUBT ONE COULD JUSTIFY THAT SCOTT IS A JUDAS. ABSURD ANALOGY BY A CONTRIBUTOR TO THIS STORY.

June 20, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  21. carepi

Chenney is part owner of Haliburton right, uhmmm, let's start a war, use our company to make money while we are at it, then take over the oil and pretend that nothing happend...... WRONG!!!!!,
    THEY SHOULD PAY DEARLY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE!

June 20, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Loretta from California

Let this be an example to all Journalist who aspire to be a press secretary, Truth, above all, Truth.

June 20, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Randy

charlotte being the elitist liberal i am sure she is....(obvious by her statement that suggests she is smarter than everyone else)...Clinton was impeached....you are impeached in the house (which he was) and then tried in the Senate. Thanks for the lesson though.

June 20, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. Mike

It is amaziing how many angry, hate filled Democrats are on this blog.

Just amazing.

And 3/4 of them have no clue what they are talking about and what the facts really are.

They are like the 3 monkeys;
    Hear no evil
    See no evil
    Speak no evil.

Yah, right.

June 20, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  25. Christopher, Madison, WI

I love all the deniers on the right side of the aisle. Your President is a terrorist and liar! He stole from the American people and killed American families' children all for oil. Doubt it do you? Why look over there the oil companies that got booted out of Iraq 35 years ago are getting ready to move back in. Mission Accomplished! Now shut up while the adults on the left side of the aisle take control. It's time for the village idiot and his lemmings to take a hike!

June 20, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |