June 20th, 2008

Obama raised roughly $22 million in the month of May

(CNN) — The Obama campaign said Friday it had raised $21.9 million in the month of May, along with nearly $690,000 in general election funds.

In its monthly campaign finance report filed with the Federal Election Commission, the campaign said its cash on hand figure was $43.1 million.

In April, the Obama campaign reported $31 million in donations. Monthly FEC reports for all presidential candidates are due by midnight.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. abby

Obama is a Corrupt FRAUD!!!!! All his money comes from Chicago – dirty political tricks. Sorry obama & DNC – you cannot STEAL or BUY this election. The MILLIONS of Hillary supporters/VOTERS and the MILLIONS of GOP's will UNITE to make sure you never win the white house – obama is NOT qualified to lead our country.

June 20, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  2. Charlotte

This guys scares me. I don't need the GOP to tell me, he does a pretty good job on his own, I pray Hillary stays away from him.

June 20, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  3. Helen, NY

CNN, you closed comments for Obama's speech in Jacksonville.

Barack, what you are is what you are. Do not try to teach us saying that Rpublicans will say something bad about you. Guilty conscience pricks the mind. You are making history here in America because you are most inexperienced with blank resume. You have not even completed your term in the US senate and do you want to becom our President? No way my friend. Please go away.CNN and CNBC have put you on the pedestal which you do not deserve. Imagine you need a team to select VP for you. You do not have experience and courage to do it on your own. You want to show to american people that you want to do everything openly including selection of VP. You are a total fraud. We do not believe you at all. I hope CNN will publish this to save our contry from the radicals, marxists.

June 20, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Vig

I'm just waiting for the bottom to fall out from under Obama – if something is too good to be true – it probably is – something about this guy's candiacy has the feel of thin ice., with it's propagandization, it's image make over's, it's empty chants of change – I always thought he got away too easily by quickly resigning from his racist church. As if that makes all the questions go away. It doesn't. I would not be at all surpised if some bomb shell gets exposed and he finds himself resigning from his candiacy the same way he did from his church.

June 20, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  5. No Socialist, NY

No one has scared me away from Obama except Obama. I'd vote for Condi any day even though her name is different and she is black. When Obama says his name is "funny" does he mean it has a muslim ring to it? Hey, doesn't he realize anyone who can remember 9/11 remembers the terrorism was caused by muslims? Anyone who doesn't have an inkling of doubt about this guy is simply naive. We're tlking about the highest office ands our national security, not Junior prom king. Vote for McCain; tried and proven patriot. Where do you think Obama is getting all the money from?

June 20, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. Allan

No way Obama will be president.American going to wake up and go McCain.20 mil. much less than before.Latter obama going to say" Sorry, i take public funding". You will see.

June 20, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  7. Independent

I think Obama is going to need all the money he can get due to all the potential skeleton's in his closet...ie, Rev Wright, his books, Michelle statement and Thesis, Larry Sinclair, his ties to Kenya...this list goes on and on. The only thing is, all the money in the world can't keep that closet door closed.

June 20, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. Seattle Voter

Obama can play the race card without getting in trouble because he is bi-racial. He is so full of it! I'm a democrat but will not vote for him. Sure you don't need experience to be a US president that's why they have advisors but I DON'T TRUST HIM AT ALL. I'm sure Michelle will be making all the decisions anyways.

PLS DON'T USE STUPID TACTICS!

June 20, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  9. LaShanda

Some of you are much dumber than I thought. Did you not see the racist button that was sold at a Texas GOP convention? Did you not hear a southern senator called Obama a "boy"? They ARE using race. He is the one that wanted to keep race OUT OF THIS. The Republicans are WELL KNOWN for their racism. Why are people keeping their heads in the sand?

June 20, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Alan

The Obama campaign needs to keep raising more money. Good for them for keeping out the lobbyists and special interests, and shame on McCain for criticizing him for shutting out the public funds that would have included them. If you vote for McCain in November, you are voting for another four years of un-employment, continued rising gas prices, continued tax breaks for the very wealthy, that the rest of us will continue to have to pay for, no healthcare, more division, more poverty. Don't let McCain's campaign full you with their dirty tricks like the first bush did in 1988 when he pulled his dirty tricks against dukakis. Look where that left us, in a major recession, out of work, and in a major financial deficit. Don't buy McCain's lies.

June 20, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  11. Britta , Canada

All this gloating about the large amounts of money raised is demeaning the democratic process of electing the next leader of your country.
    After having gotten it so wrong the last two elections , one would think that this time you apply scrutiny and thouroughly investigate the presidential candidates and what they stand for.
    Yet here you are again , taken in by speeches that say nothing and once again cast votes based on likeability instead of substance.

June 20, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  12. PCC

I hope someone is really looking into where all this money is coming from ...There is something really not right about this...And i know it...

June 20, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  13. Frank

Obama is already saying one thing and doing another. You have failed at your word on this one. What is next. I cannot trust a single Democrat...they are all twisters of facts! I trust not a one. McCain will tell you straight. Just listen to his town hall meetings!

June 20, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  14. matt

WRITE IN HILLARY 08 WERE NOT GIVING UP. WERE NOT BACKING DOWN

She won the popular vote .. and now its time the democrats pay

HE is a FLAWED Canidate. and we proved that months ago, now his money is goign to continue to deteriorate each month.

June 20, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  15. Vote for Change

I wonder why some people in here call Obama using money to buy the White House? These money come from American people, not from lobbyists. They should have said that Americans are pitching in to buy the White House instead. And for McCain, his funds come from lobbyists, so it is lobbyists who are trying to buy the White House.

And The United States of America is a country of people or lobbyists?

June 20, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  16. Donna Non-voting Observer

He's so full of S___ his eyes are brown.

He already agreed to he would not use public money.

Guess he's laughing all the way to the bank and the white house on his broken promises.

And this seal thing, come on, and I thought Bush was arrogant,
    His nose in the air pictures and posters and then the one superimposed over MLK next there will be pics of him with a crown of thorns. He makes me sick.

People can barely afford to fill their gas tanks and he's talking spending 1/2 – 1 billion on his campaign.

How Gross!

June 20, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  17. keep it up Obama

Hang in there, you got them scurrying. It's your campaign, and you continue to set the tone, the pace, the records, and history.

Don't be afraid to bring Hillary Clinton back in, she's a winner too.

June 20, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  18. Chris in Va.

Sharon Minnesota, don't mislead these people, you are just another woman with a chip on her shoulder because Hillary didn't win, nothing more.

June 20, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  19. Sad in GA

What makes me so uneasy about this has nothing to do with Obama, but rather the way that many people are trying so hard to find something and even when they can't still...they never seem to place the focus back on the issues. This only tells me that if there is going to be anything at all, it has to be about berating and nastiness rather than America and politics.

June 20, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  20. Danny, CA

Republican Joe, we do not care if you vote for a loser Barack. You are a blind person because you are blinded by Obama's rhetoric. He is a zero. He has no experience. I do not want him to be my president period. I will never vote for him. He has to grow up and come to the center. He is a redical marxist person. Get a life.

June 20, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  21. democrat for McCain

Obama doesnt need anybody"s money till he has a friend like Rezko supporting him.

June 20, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  22. meg

I joined a group of people this weekend that have pledged to contribute to Obama 25 dollars every pay check till election day. That should keep pushing him to those red states and blue states to make a united states of America!

June 20, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  23. julius

Because of the campaign you ran in the primary, as a student of business major I am going to contribute to your campaign till I get maxed out or I get to $2300..........You inspired me when I was low and this is the time to inspire you when you need me!

June 20, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  24. OnlyforObama!

Because you ran when our country needed you most, you told us there is tommorrow when we were really hurting, I am for you to the end. I really don't care those republicans tactics that they used "slice and burn". I am with you till I see you on that chair of the Presideny in the oval office. My money is worth to your campaign!

June 20, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  25. true-democrat

It is $96 dollars till November or even beyond if need be!

June 21, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |