June 20th, 2008
1 year ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. Peter E

I want change I can TRUST in! Vote Ron Paul!!!

June 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Combat Vet

If he gets in, he'll pimp the white house limo too. Come on folks, don't vote for this know-nothing!

June 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Ted

Just proves Obama is above the rest of America – he's already crowned himself King Obama on the backs of the working man.

Maybe he should consider running for King of Iran.

June 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Lacy

Love it. Good for Barack! Vero Possumus!

June 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Anne E.

note to "scary egotist": he doesn't think he's God - just President.
    you are confusing Obama with karl rove. big mistake.

June 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. Willy

This guy is so full of himself. He will sink his own bid for the White House.

June 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Nostradamus

Beware the pretender to the throne.

June 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. White Independent

You can be the new majority who can lead this nation out of a long political darkness – Democrats, Independents and Republicans who are tired of the division and distraction that has clouded Washington; who know that we can disagree without being disagreeable; who understand that if we mobilize our voices to challenge the money and influence that’s stood in our way and challenge ourselves to reach for something better, there’s no problem we can’t solve – no destiny we cannot fulfill. We are the ones We have been waiting for.

June 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  9. Mike from Westchester

Brian G, Sugar Land, TX June 20th, 2008 4:03 pm ET

Oh brother! Why not just tatoo it on his…oh never mind
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
    Hey Brian, what a great idea! You want to go get tatoos?
    ______________________________________________

MLG June 20th, 2008 4:04 pm ET

Don't care!! He is not getting my vote. Don't trust him. McCain
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – - – – – - – -
    Hey look everyone, Senator McCain just posted that he isn't voting for Obama. Now John, you might want to reconsider. Don't you think Obama would make a better President than you? Thought you might!
    ________________________________________________

Just a little Friday afternoon levity – elitist style. Actually, I do like it, but it might be a bit presumptious. I high hopes, but understand the incredible hurdles we still face.

Obama 08! Vero Possumus!

June 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. I agree with you 123456789

I agree with you, not on the McCain 08, but that the Republicans are using not so loyal Democrats for their own use. If your truly a Democarat then you vote with your party and not just because the person you were hoping to get the nomination didn't get it. Just goes to show your loyalty was with Hillary and not the party.

June 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. caywen

Man, Obama's graphic artist is the LOGO MASTER!!

The "O" logo itself was just plain brilliant.

June 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. mw

What next? Add his face on the dollar bill? And how about stamps?

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Jean

He really is out of touch

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. Down with Obama

Hilter reincarnated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. Justice League

Now just paint that logo on a presidential blue and white Boeing 787 Dreamliner and we'll be all set. O FORCE ONE! Yeah!

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. Republican for Obama

That's awesome! I think they change it to that the whole 8 years he is president!!! Just stick the American flag right behind the eagle's head and wala! Ever since I heard of Obama I have been on the border of thinking democratic this year. With the more momentum Obama gained, the more I was intrigued and yearned for information about him and as a result was pushed to the democratic side. In a way I am angry at the GOP that we don't have a dynamic candidate like Barack Obama running for the GOP. Barack all the way!

PS: Hey Barack, why couldn't you have run as the GOP nom?

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. Linda

Someone in the Obama campaign needs to seriously reconsider this seal. Way to premature to design something this close to the President's seal. This will turn some undecided folks off for sure. Me, I'm for Obama...seal or no seal...someone just needs to reign in the eager beavers with the crayons.

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. Tina Gonzales

I think it is very cool!!! Awesome – very creative!

June 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Independent Swing Voter

Don't understand why some call this brilliant. It is only slick advertising. Doesn't win my vote. And I do find it arrogant.

Leaning to the right.

June 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. Pumas aren't Democrats Anymore

I LOVE IT! I wonder if there are any of those on his shirts at the website! Oh and for you psychos who thinks he's changing the Presidential Logo... get a grip! Oh, I am going to start seeing if I can get someone to visit these PUMA sites and get them to sign up for therapy.

You're gonna need it on January 20, 2009.

PUMA Democrats – There is no such thing.
    Clinton Democrats – Nope, sorry she's not running anymore.

The REAL Democratic Party. 31.5 million strong.There is only ONE Democratic Party. We support those policies, those values and that one party.

Obama 08, with or without you.

June 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Shiloh Everett

I support Obama all the way – but I think some people will find fault in this- he should trash this idea.

June 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  22. Thomas

Hitler had a "seal", talked about how he would change Germany and got the youth involved... I'm not seeing ANY difference between Obama and Hitler...

Instead of the Hitler Salute we can bump our fists together...

Obama makes me SICK!

June 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. JJ

Love it! It represents change and something this country is in desperate need of. Gotta love it! :-)

June 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  24. margo

Obama logo!!1

How stupid idea! I can't see the chage of Obama only in his mind,

McCain THE NEXT PRESIDENT 2008.

June 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. Jick

I'm all for Obama, but not this seal. The GOP is going to POUNCE on this and call it a mockery–whether it is or not. With the kind of stuff uneducated people will believe, this could be a problem. I hope they get rid of it, fast. I don't know what they were thinking.

God Bless America–Support our troops–Obama '08