June 20th, 2008
1 year ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. T-n-EP

IT IS A LOUSY SEAL. IT REMINDS ME OF THE FAKE COACH PURSES.

June 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. Joshua

I do not like it. Seems creepy to me. Even the O symbol before this. It reminds me of Nazi Germany.

June 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. lou

what did he say bout possums?

June 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. Hillary Democrat for McCain?

HIllary Democrat for McCain? I don't remember seeing anything that said Hillary was for McCain. Did I miss something or are you just a Republican posing as a Democrat?

I think your a poser!!!

June 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. Frank, Missouri

Great ! Make a sticker and I'll put it on my car !

June 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. chuchi

Maybe they should replace the eagle witht the monkey.

June 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Black and proud

The seal doesn't bother me one way or the other. But to see the mixture of positive and negative remarks lead me to comment to all: "Just deal with it!!!" I'd rather have a confident man in office than a dried up has-been who can't seem to stike any emotion in is supporters let alone the middle of the road folks who can't seem to make up their mind on who they will vote for this November. Some body please tell McCain (aka "Droopy the Dog") to pop a few caffine pills. Geez!!

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  8. jonny

McCain is going to bash the logo, yet be secretly jealous he didn't think of it first.

I like it. And I think it is appropriate for any presidential candidate to make a logo similar to the logo for the president. Unless something extreme happens, Obama WILL be president.

Obama/Gore '08!!!

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. this is a joke right?

What next... obama on a $2008 dollar bill?

This is socialist propaganda bar none, and it's pathetic. The only way you get people riled up to vote is with this stuff.

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. Rea

This is so silly.
    New seal?
    He ought to change it.
    How much more like a presidential seal could it be before it's considered plagerism

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. Leroy Sturdivant

PPL STOP OVERREACTIN LIKE HE GOING 2 CHANGE THE presidential seal THIS IS JUST 4 THE GENERAL ELECTION SO JUST COME DOWN. BUT I LIKE IT

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. John from LA

UNBELIEVABLE-He is so cocky-I hope McCain wipes the floor with him.

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. FRED, ATLANTA GA

OH HATERS STOP HATING!!! At least the man is looking PRESIDENTIAL your just mad you can't say the same for MCCAIN! It's sad how people and the media DISECT every little thing Obama does is this really relevant?

June 20, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. Margaret

Arrogant!

June 20, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. ILUVOBAMA

All u Obama haters is just mad McCain didn't think of it first....

June 20, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Don Colony14Author, Mt Prospect, IL

Oh, great... in five years America's kindergartens will be full of kids named, "Vero Possumus," "Vera Posthumous," and "Vera Pottamus!"

June 20, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. Rick

It's awesome!

June 20, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Hillary Supporter

I'm a Hillary supporter. I'm voting for John McCain. If Obama thinks this logo (obviously created by some imbecile) is going to win him the presidency, he'd better guess again.

I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA, no matter what he shoves out in front of himself. Many Hillary supporters agree.

Folks, he has no experience, but he certainly has a big mouth.

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. Paul

Most of the negative comments are from disgruntled Hillary supporters who wish to shoot themselves in the foot by voting for McCain.
    All I can say is wake up, unifying the country is what is important.
    If you are truly for change and making the USA a great nation again you would not vote for McCain because Hillary isn't the nominee.
    Nobody who is really for change who voted for Hillary would even consider voting Republican. You were obviously never real democratics to begin with.

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. vic nashville,Tn

the time he spend on this he can spend in Americans problems

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. Turnabout is Fair Play

My God, listen to the jealous and envious idiots posting about how arrogant Obama is! LOL!! I think it's a great idea and sends a message to all those who aren't sure if he's presidential material, he's telling you, "I AM!" Stop hating and drink the sweet, sweet refreshing Koolaid that is Obama. HAHAHAHA!!

Obama/Sebelius '08/12!!

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. James

What an ego!

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. Carol, San Luis Obispo, CA

Personally I don't like Obama's logo. Don't know which study group the think tank convened, but I don't care for it. The Obama campaign logo used throughout the primary season is far more to my liking. It's readily recognizable and the candidate's words and message were what made him Presidential.

Obama has my vote, but it's not because he appears Presidential with flags lined up on the stage or his campaign logo is a spin on the Presidential seal.

I can see many voters being offended with this Presidential (campaign) Seal logo.

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. lucy delzio

IT IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING !!!!

IT SEEMS LIKE WE'RE HEADING FOR A COMMUNIST DICTATOR SHIP.

PEOPLE, WAKE UP, CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ALL OF US.

June 20, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  25. Casey in Missouri

I like the original Obama logo better. Personally, I am turned off by our "presidential seal" because it so military and warlike...

Casey in California