June 20th, 2008
1 year ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. Shawn, Takoma Park, MD

Brandon Hillary Democrat for Mc Cain cried:

"No women with burka's or scarfs in the background of that seal eithier."
    ________________

Oh, Pu-leeze Brandon.

The women have accepted Obama's personal apology (for something he didn't even do), but you just keep pretending to be outraged as you cheer for a man responsible for the deaths of 100,000 innocent Muslims and the displacement of millions. That makes so much sense!

GO PRESIDENT OBAMA!

June 20, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. lisa

He has defaced this american symbol. There should be a law against this?

June 20, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. boomonkey

It seems, from the comments here that lots of people did not really understand. Several seem to think he is replacing the presidential seal or something of that order. Learn 2 read plz.

The new seal is a campaign logo using iconic American imagery... you know... like EVERY politician does? You folk chanting "arrogance" over this are quite transparent. Methinks, we don't much like the color of his skin, but lack the guts to come out and say so. So, it's "arrogant" today. Tomorrow it will be "elitist". The next day, something else.

Well, come January, it'll be "Mr. President" so get used to it.

June 20, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  4. Larry

I don't see anything offensive about it, I think it's pretty smart strategy wise, but I think it will turn off a lot of people, it's a little presumptive to soon.

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. Matt

You people have to be kidding.. you really think the presidential seal is some "sacred symbol", oh please. you just want any excuse to hate the guy.

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. ca

He's one sick puppy. He hasn't won it yet.

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. clysly

There's no stopping. It will be a close election but a reaction from the Bush debacle is the miracle called as OBAMA! YES WE ALL CAN AS AMERICANS!!

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. big bob

I don't care what he puts in front of him–as long as it's a cliff.

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. Bart

Obama 08

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. Jay

Is that the Mark of the Beast talked about in the Bible?

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Some new and fresh

Obama is giving this country EXACTLY what it needs a makeover!!! For all you people that think change is not important ask your kids who the VP of the U.S. is and then ask your kids if they know who Obama and Hillary are!

These two people changed America in the last 18 months. I don't care if your a Hillary or Obama supporter you have to agree.

June 20, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. TonyS

Scarey. This guy is an egomaniac.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. Yo Mama

Vero Possumus= I grin like a possum while I pick your pocket.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Kay Morris

I'm always amazed by this Man's great ideas...or whomever comes up with such a strong visual message. Thanks...gives me confidence in our future. Go Obama!!!
    Kay in Illinois

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Kevin G.

He modified the presidential seal?

He just lost my vote.

give me a break.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. Jordan

Way to disgrace the United States of America seal.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  17. LynnB

He's so vain – they should just name a song about him.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  18. Yes We Can 08

I think it shows great creativity and confidence people always over react but at the same time they dont support so of course they would make it seem as though Barack is trying to take over the world they make it seem as if he is changin the actual seal when he just created a seal for his campaign...CALM DOWN....VOTE OBAMA

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. Bob

I am totally apalled....... Yesterday with th eflip flop on NAFTA to get votes and now this. I am no longer on the fence

McCain 08

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. foster

To: Blitzer.............what's wrong with the obama seal? I love it, that woman..........Rep Stragst she seems angry, as if she's trying to convince voters, well I'm not impressed, with her or Sen Macain, don't make me list all the things he's changed his mind on ...Mr. Flip Flopper!!!!

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. Zela

I think the discussion of this marketing tool is rediculous. Some of you are looking for a reason to have an arguement over anything, but the issue that Obama has the best platform for America in 08. If he superimposes his name on a circle, what's the big deal? It is NOT the presidential seal, it's a marketing tool. Come on America, you are smarter than this. The whole quest for both campaigns is to have the candidate "look" presidential. Most of you are too old for this kind of stupidity. This is not the first election you have witnessed.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Louise Clarke Stone

The candidates "seal" convinces me of his pomposity and sense of entitlement to the rank of POTUS. I disagree about his ability to lead - except down a well-trodden path of acquiesense and accommodation of our enemies. I won't go.

June 20, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. enigma

Here we are in 2008 and the racism and sterotypes in this country never ceases to amaze me.

god help america!