June 20th, 2008
1 year ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. John Smith

I guess Hillary and her "bitter" Clinton supporters need Obama (and supporters) more than Obama needs Hillary..

Obama can win those battle-ground DEM states without the help of Hillary.
    Hillary needs the help of Obama to pay her sagging bills, loans etc. This is how terribly Hillary managed her campaign. I guess Hillary and her bitter followers need to beg Obama to come their help!!!

Bottom line, call on McCain to help retire Hillary's debts, loans...!

June 20, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  2. ILUVOBAMA

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. Vote Nader

Cocky...

It'll be fun listening to the Obama supporters deny the arrogance in this.

** Nader/Gonzalez 2008 **

June 20, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. kingsley

Go ahead and put a negative spin on it. Obama is so ahead and so modinized. He put an urban and youth marketing touch to everything he does, since McSame stole his previous logo.

I personaly think it shouldn't be controversial.

June 20, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. fred mann

Give me a break. A man of the people would not be so pompous to do this!

June 20, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. Chris from San Antonio

Love it.

GoBama!

June 20, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. Jeanette

Love it!

June 20, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. mainstream

Is this guy just to stuck on himself or are we looking at another uniter not a divider from the Democratic far left. I have to question his motives and his real backers in the Internet Intellagencia. I'm not for McCain yet but Obama, I'm not sure about you yet either.

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Keith R.

It says "Obama for America" btw.

At any rate, it's nifty, I think.

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Roger

Woopty-do

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Ankita

wow, rofl, this logo cracks me up

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Puzzled

We are always told to keep our "eyes on the prize", looks like this is a good way to do it!!

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. seth

Let's see... how long before someone complains about this and the "sanctity" of the Presidential Seal... Someone may have already beaten me to it...

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. albert T. Lojko, M.D.

One word describes it – "Brilliant"

June 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. Richinfla

comically transparent.

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. Jeff in Maryland

The Obama campaign has been so good with their marketing, stylish website and logos that I'm starting to wonder if they hired the same marketing firm as Apple Computer.

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. Lee

logo is tight

Obama '08

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. Anna, TX

And does anyone care??

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Donna Wisconsin

Love It!

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. FrankSmith

Obama can win those battle-ground DEM states without the help of Hillary.

Bottom line, call on McCain to help retire Hillary's debts, loans...!

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. proud republican

I do NOT want this left wing socialist 2nd term Jimmy Carter want to be as my President. The vp would be whom – the Rev Wright?
    Obama is a Socialist scumbag!

June 20, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. Scott L

Typical of his campaign's arrogance...

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. JDM

Bad idea, very bad Idea. To close to the main seal. That person shuold get fired for this. Man this was a bad IDEA!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. Yupik1

Obviously, he has some VERY creative individuals working for him. I hope that translates to creative ways of solving our country's problems when he becomes President of the U.S. It does seem a little too big if you ask me.

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. JD

seems arrogant. Would we then be called the Obamanation?

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |