June 20th, 2008
9 months ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. paul

WOW ... for a man of CHANGE he surely know how to play with the visual tricks. Its corny. Sophomoric. Great design and idea.

It's a dirty trick ... visual.

Sad, he looks bored.

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Democrat

If Hillary is not the VP choice I am voting for McCain.

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. Sean

Personally, I think he's jumping the gun quite a bit. But then again, I don't expect anything different from a campaign that's jumped the gun the whole time. I hope he enjoys the logo as it's the closest he'll get to the Presidential Seal.

Democrats for McCain '08!

June 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. dz in Austin

Arrogance has no limits!

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Sara

At first glance it kinda feels propaganda-ish (think USSR) and then mostly just arrogant. I wonder if he even knows the history behind the seal's imagery?

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. WE NEED THE TRUTH

Looks good to me.

President Obama...............has a nice ring to it.

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. KS

SCARY!!!!

Please tell me all the idiots voting for this thing are going to wake up.

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Arrogance is in

Wow! He might as well announce his Extreme Makeover team and reveal his remodeling plans for the White House! America has never seen such an arrogant candidate in its nation. Most men have a desire to lead and feel honored to do so ... BO thinks he's entitled to it and knows better than anyone else. What has the leadership of this nation come to???

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. Supporter

Brilliant!!

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. Jose Gonzalez

I think it is very creative and also has some sort of subliminal message, it is like preparing the people to get used to see the Presidential Seal when when Barack Obama is giving a speech. Personally I believe that reinforces the perception that he could be the next President of the United States.

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Mrs. Rayford

I love it!!!! Yes we can!!!

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. NObama

Rather than an eagle, Obama should have an ostrich or chicken on his seal. This man is a joke.

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. Gabrielle, SC

I like it... No big deal to me though. I'm sure the comments are going to pour in about how arrogant he is for having it, but honestly I like it. I think its cute. I don't see how a seal is supposed to impact your decision to vote or not vote for someone. I don't even think that that is the purpose of it....

June 20, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. Kirk, DC

I have voted for him in the Primaries against the advise of a friend on the hill who knows him and tells me he is condescending and arrogant. Ihave tried very hard to listen to him and believe in what he has been saying and promising but.... when I saw the seal, I had an almost visceral negative reaction. It is not only premature but gives me quite the perception of elitist. This time, he may have gone a little too far.
    I guess I am back to being undecided.

Kirk

June 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. Garry

Arrogance is thy middle name Obama

June 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. Nicole

I like it a whole lot!

June 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. Sam

Subliminal programing – this is a disgrace to take this seal and modify it in this manner. This should be outlawed!

June 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Paul

What a jerk. He's not even president yet and he is using that seal design? Give me a break. Don't get ahead of yourself Obama, you still can be the loser come Nov. '08. Arrogance leads to demise.

June 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Anita from Arizona

Wow, mountain out of a mole hill. Stick to the issues at hand.

June 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Beverly, NYC

So what is the presidential seal patented or something?

Cue the PUMA Packer and their "isn't he arrogrant rant 3...2...1..."

CNN, what happened at the conference, anything ideas of substance exchanged or was the new logo so mesmerizing?

June 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Narive -- San Diego

This is a brilliant move by the Obama campaign. Everything about this campaign is fresh and new. I can feel the Change all ready.

Obama for American!!

June 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Peter E

Arogant, pretentious bumm.

June 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Delldude

I'm surprised it hasn't a Muslim Caracture of some kind instead of an Eagle, and letters printed in Arabic on top of that. But you know how the UPPER CRUST has to be a bit different.

Besides he DID SAY "CHANGE" and you'll get plenty of CHANGE that'll be the only money you'll have too.

June 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. George M. Allen

The seal is terrific. The Obama campaign is a Mac to McCain's very early PC.

Telluride, Colorado

June 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Mary from Westport CT

O my god you're kidding me right? He thinks he can take a presidential symbol and make it his. Very disrespectful. If that's not another example of his elitist attitude I don't know what is. Very eye opening for this Democrat that will not be voting for him.

June 20, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |