June 20th, 2008
9 months ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. Tiffany J

I love it! Where can i get something with Obama's seal on it?

June 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. carmen

Love it. Although I believe "vero possumus" would be closer to "in truth we can"

June 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Toni

You have got to be kidding me!!! I think it is very presumptious, and quite frankly, it offends me. I'm undecided, but I think this shows a candidate that is quite full of himself and that the race is over. It sends me a little more the other way now.

June 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. Loretta from California

LOOKS GOOD TO ME!!!!! You Go Senator!!!!! Yes we can, and Yes you will.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!

June 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

its only a matter of time before the President's seal IS his seal anyway...

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. Jane

Gee, Barack, I really like you, man, but this thing sucks!

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. bye bye freedom

The democrats have outdone themselves this time.

This guy and his insidious propaganda is downright scary.

People are following this manipulative man, as if he were the messiah himself.

Such tactics are slick and sleazy and errosive.

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. Sandro, Alexandria, VA

It is a powerful logo which subconsciously reinforces the inevitability of Barak's presidency. In general he has top-notch visual image coordination / graphic design team, among many other things.

More importantly, I think it part of a well-planned motif that Obama is not just another presidential candidate, but rather game-changing leader who is on his way to redefine the US politics, leadership style and yes, presidency itself!

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. linda hemmingsen

I think it is pure arrogance of him .He sure thinks he is great!but he is just another political flip flopper who takes people to court and then does the same thing with public financing.

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Maroun B.

Sounds a bit fishy... reminds me of that propaganda era in the early years of the twentieth century in Europe, or maybe of that movie "V for Vendetta". Now that the seal is tempered, I wonder what's next ?

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Reggie - Texas

I love it. His campaign strategists understand how important it is to look presidential especially when so many ignorant people out there "can't see" a black man as POTUS. As a first time young voter in college, this election season has been extremely exciting. I can't wait to cast my third vote (I did the Texas two-step in March) for Barack Hussein Obama.
    God Bless America and the Obamas (including Sasha in Mahlia)!!!

OBAMA '08

June 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. DB

The Obama campaign has used the Eagle in a lot the imagery on the campaign website: at top of the "National Voter Protection Center" link, in ther background of pages before they are fully loaded, and in other places as well. I think it's smart to incorporate American symbols into the campaign imagery, and other campaigns have done it as well. Almost all campaign colours are red white and blue (at least the good ones, NOT green), and stars and stripes are frequently used as well.

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. Linda Esen

Freida, NYC; I guess u dont know much about anything; if he is a Muslim what ignorant thing do you have to say about Rev. Wright ????

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. Liz from Atlanta, GA

That is so awesome! I have never seen a more creative and smart campaign. His "get to know me" spot started today here in GA and I can't wait to see what he'll come up with next.
    The clash between McCain and Obama can be easily seen from the footage of the two when they visited the flood victims in Iowa this week. McCain walked around the town, just like President W did. Obama rolled up his sleeves and filled sand bags with the people who were on the verge of losing their town. I like the idea of a president who is not afraid of hard work.

Obama '08

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. Jeff D, South Bend, IN

Deny the arrogance? Hardly – he'll have the real thing in January 2009. Stating a fact doesn't necessarily make it arrogant.

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Ray

I think it's very clever and stylish. Leave it to the Repubs and others to over analize this completly.

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. bye bye freedom

And the dictatorship begins.

First the celebrities fall...

Then the Media falls....

Then the Party succumbs to its own hype of hope.

Then the one true leader is savaged into oblivion.

Then the path is clear for the takeover.

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Independent LAWYER for Obama

I like the fact that when I saw vero possumus, I thought "truth in possums?' EXACTLY what we were looking for in a presidential candidate.

Actually though, I think we should be more concerned about how bored my candidate looks in that pic!

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. NCrich

What's latin for "empty your pockets"?..that is what should be above the eagle.

June 20, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Jim in Muskegon, MI

You've got to be friggin' kidding me!

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. Jennifer C.

INSPIRED – the logo is packed with meaning and well designed.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. Becky

Obama is allowed to change his logo, and the colors are extremely different so he's not trying to fool anyone. Just giving himself a more Presidential Look. I'm sure people against Obama will jump at any opportunity to say, "Oh my gosh I can't believe his group is being creative. That's absurd!" Anything is better than McCain's green-screen from earlier in the campaign.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. Chris

What an arrogant guy. A seal reallyl, win first.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. 1 of the 18 million who voted for Obama

To Rita Mikride:

I bet those racist are doing just that.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  25. Mark Webb

Looks great!
    But why not keep "Yes we can"???
    English has taken Latin place as universal language!!
    Is there any linguist in the team?
    If there is any, Obama should fire him as quickly as possible.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |