June 20th, 2008
1 year ago

When the Obama logo and presidential seal collide

ALT TEXT

The Obama campaign debuted a new logo Friday that bears a striking resemblance to the presidential seal. Photo credit: AP, White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama sat down in Chicago Friday morning to discuss the economy with visiting Democratic governors, but all eyes were on the Illinois senator’s podium bearing, what might be described as, a quasi-presidential seal – a new Obama campaign logo.

The seal includes the same bald eagle as the actual presidential seal clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, the Obama version displays the campaign’s trademark “O.” Unlike the Presidential seal, which includes the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” grace the top and bottom of Obama's.

Finally, just above the eagle, in Latin, are the words – “vero possumus” – which translates to “yes we can,” the oft-heard chant at Obama rallies.

It remains to be seen how the new seal will play in the campaign’s quest to win over working-class voters.

What do you think of the logo? Your comments below.

1. Speechless

Can he get any more arrogant?

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. WMH

I like it, too! Obama 2008

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Peyton Lingle, II

The Obama seal is "over the line." He is running for the highest political office in the land, not on the set of Saturday Night Live! It comes across to me as presumptive and arrogant. Please have a presidential historian research which past presidential candidates used a seal that was similar to the presidential seal before becoming president.

I think it is making a mockery of the presidential seal.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Ambika

That guy Barrack Hussein Obama thinks very high of himself in a very snobbish way. Hope all the worthy Americans feel he is light weight and teach him a bitter lesson by voting for Mccain and send Obama back to where he came from!! Enough is enough.

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. Jane

Why did I first think of a dead possum when I read vero
    possumus?

June 20, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Barbara Ellman

Many will find this seal presumptious and could very well present a real "elitest" image even for those not believing the description for Obama before. Bad thinking. We've worked too hard to present the "peoples man" to have some dumb P.R. idea to pull it down. Get rid of it!

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. David

Well, I certinly do not like it.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. Angela

this is TOO much! obviously Obama already has way too much money to spend on nonsense such as this . how about spending some money and effort to win the vote of the Hillary supporters such as myself. also, please explain your vote for the Bush- Cheney energy bill- Clinton and McCain voted no.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Doug

I am big Obama fan, but somehow this doesn't seem right.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Ula Nejad- Sacramento Ca

hahahahaha.......its getting really hilarious. Next would be finding his face replacing Lincoln or squeezed into rushmore...boy oh boy!

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. John Alexander

I think this is enormously disrespectful of the office of President.

It ridicules the seal by arrogantly inserting Obama's name and campaign logo into a symbol that has always represented the
    dignity of the office of President, not the person who occupies it, let alone the person who aspires to it.

I've never seen such a stupid, sophomoric maneuver. He'd better
    hold on to this seal because it's very unlikely that he'll ever stand behind the real one.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  12. Rickey Camp

I voted for Obama in the primary. But now it seems that his campaign is becoming more of a personality cult. I will vote Libertarian this November. As for his new logo, old politics – an attempt at manipulating people.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. Rob

Vero Possumus meaning "Yes We Can".

OK, this is cute and all, but just a little bit ridiculous. Obama is my man. Love 'em and all that. But you gotta stay humble. This is a little overly presumptuous for some to take. He needs to tone it down and get in office first. Leave the cutesy teen and 20 creativity at the campaign office.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  14. Dems

He should have a logo with dollar signs flying out of a wallet because that's what we're all going to be looking at if he becomes president.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. Ian

He won't have to change it much come November.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. Jools

Love it! It's hilarious, actually.

June 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. Zach

I have been consistently impressed with Obama's design team. On his website, he has a different design for each constituent group's page under the "people" tab. I cannot remember the last candidate with such a recognized logo!

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Mark

kingsley – I could ot agree more, since McCain took Barack's old logo, I wonder why all these people who say its arrogant, or they don't like think about that...

Was it not arrogant for McSame to take Barack's old logo?

Gee I wonder..

and personally I would like to see the logo in Color, although I like it.

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  19. Go Obama

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

I LOVE BARACK AND MICHELLE. MCCAIN AND CINDY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH LIFE IN THEM. WHERE'S THE ENERGY AND EXCITEMENT AROUND THEM? NOTHING

OBAMA (CHANGE WE CAN REALLY DEPEND ON)

HOW IS MCCAIN DIFFERENT FROM ALL OF THE REST OF THE PRESIDENTS.. SAME OLD THING ...SO OLD POLITICS.

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. Nick - Arlington, VA

Freida, NYC June 20th, 2008 4:06 pm ET

This is scary, he even wants to change the American logo-seal, by replacing it with his name. Americans please wake up and do not vote for Obama. Are these the kind of changes you really want.?He will turn this country into a Muslim sect, Just wait and see.
    ----------------------------------
    -i knew someone would respond with something idiotic like this....its a logo, which looks like the pres. seal because...guess what...he is running for the presidency....People are very visually orientated.

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. RMH

This is disgraceful. Has nay other presidential candidate been this brazen. Talk about arrogance!

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. peggy

I think its GREAT

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Lillian

It's tacky!!!!

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Jack

This man continues to show poor taste. You get to stand behind the seal ONLY if and when you get elected. Once again he is being ridiculous.

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. chuck

a presidential seal looks good on obama.

June 20, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |