June 21st, 2008

Obama: 'They're going to try to make you afraid of me'

ALT TEXT

Obama: GOP will say ‘And did I mention he’s black?’" Photo credit: CNN.

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (CNN) – Barack Obama told supporters that Republicans will “try to make you afraid of me” in remarks he made Friday at a Florida fundraiser.

"The choice is clear. Most of all we can choose between hope and fear. It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy.

“We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run,” said the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee. “They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. ‘He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?’"

In similar comments at a Chicago fundraiser last Thursday, Obama told supporters that Republicans would try to portray both him and his wife Michelle as "scary."

"They’re going to try to make me into a scary guy,” he said last week. “They’re even trying to make Michelle into a scary person. Right?" And so that drumbeat – 'we’re not sure if he’s patriotic or not; we’re not sure if he is too black.'

"I don’t know, before I wasn’t black enough," said Obama. "'Now he might be too black. We don’t know whether he’s going to socialize – well, who knows what.'"

Last week, the Illinois senator’s campaign launched a Web site to directly respond to and discredit Internet rumors about him and his wife that have dogged his presidential effort.

1. Jim

I do not want to have Jessie Jackson as our finance director.

June 20, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  2. Terry

Only the weak-minded will submit to fear. It's pathetic that the GOP would resort to such silly tactics so as to scare people. The only thing we need to fear is 4 more yrs of George Bush policies through McMagoo.

Obama is America's best chance for a better future. On second thought, he's our only chance.

June 20, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Peter E

And it is his opponents playing the race card??? Please!

June 20, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. kwame

cnn can approve some one who writes: Arrogant fool.
    and yet for a long while my comments were never approved no matter how banlance, intelligent and unbiased.

June 20, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. Aliou FL for Obama

Who would have tought Americans will support anything carrying or written in anything else than their our broken English?

Obama is a revolution: He is waking us all up to the world.

June 20, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. hannah

I see clearly there's way too much bigotry in this country. We need to grow up!

June 20, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  7. Peter E

If this isn't him playing the race card, I don't know what is.

June 20, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. twenty-something Voter

This is great. I love how people say, "I don't know who Obama is!" When there is info out the wah-zoo if you only did your research. Then we have people saying things like "He'll turn us into a Muslim sect!" When we've been hearing about rev Wright every time you turn your tv to a national news channel.

Try educating yourself on what you're talking about before you open your mouth and show how little you know.

June 20, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  9. Dr. Wilcox

First, the old guard is not about innovative change, so they would have never thought about the seal. If they could have done it, they would have. After what we have experienced with the Bush administration, I do not think anyone could do much worse. I think race is a major factor with some people and they meed to get over it. We knew Bush was an alcoholic and a drug user, some still voted for him. Obama has TWO books, read them and you will know about him. That's the problem, some people on here are so ignorant. Pick up his autobiographies and read! If you do not want to buy them, go to the library. He has two books out. READ!

June 20, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  10. hannah

Let's face it, bigot. You just can't stand the guy. Leave him alone!

June 20, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. slick and manipulative

I read your Book. And saw how arrogant and skilled at manipulation you have been for decades.

And I watched your underhanded tactics of divide and conquer in this campaign. While pretending to be Mr. Clean.

I saw you peddle Hype as hope and sell the same old sleazy politics as change.

I saw you use the race card to divide the party and them proclaimed yourself the great uniter.

THAT IS WHY I CAN NEVER VOTE FOR YOU.

June 20, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  12. Ginny

I am so tired of the race card if he keeps doing it he will lose the base he really needs. The women of this country especially the college educated professional women who are tired of the sexism that went on with Hillary. 52 percent of the voting population are angry and both McCain and Obama better wake up....

June 20, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  13. Phil, FL

Also – my wife has a crush on you – says anyone with that smile and those clear eyes can't possibly be anything but good. At least you don't have shifty eyes like the other nominee.

I'm not jealous – my smile is good too – and my eyes aren't shifty either.

Good luck, Man – we're rootin' for you.

June 20, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  14. TheOne-Jville Fl

Sen. Barack Obama is the best thing that has happen to the Democratic Party in a very long time... He is was here in Jacksonville and he is Awesome...

BARACK THE VOTE.. I like the new logo for Barack very cool