June 21st, 2008

Obama sets sights on Nevada, New Mexico

Sen. Barack Obama heads west next week
Sen. Barack Obama heads west next week

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is heading west next week to campaign in two states he hopes to turn blue this November.

The Senator from Illinois is scheduled to hold a campaign event in Albuquerque on Monday and Las Vegas on Tuesday. CNN considers Nevada a battleground or swing state as both parties think they can win Nevada in the general election. President Bush carried Nevada in 2004, but by only two points over John Kerry.

Interactive: CNN's electoral map

CNN considers New Mexico a state that leans Republican, but the Obama campaign has the state in its sights. President Bush won New Mexico four years ago as well, but by only one percent, and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson is a major Obama supporter.

But geography may also comes into play. Arizona borders both states and is the home state of Obama’s rival, Sen. John McCain.

The presumptive GOP presidential nominee will also be in the west next week. He starts his week with fundraisers and campaign events in California.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. ROGER

HES NOT BLACK OR WHITE, HES AMERICAN!!!!!!!

June 21, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. Kara

Now who is it that is playing the "race card" ?

Obama = more division = AntiChrist

June 21, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. The Bronx for Obama

I feel like this is the easiest choice i'll ever have to make for the rest of my political life. What gets me is everytime young people in this country stand together for a common goal it's very hard to stop them. As a white 24 year old male, I feel proud that the country has come far enough to presumably elect an african-american or come close to electing a woman to run for president. This election is a choice between the future or the past, moving forward or moving backwards. It's easy people.....follow the youth. Its us who are inheriting this country and planet.....last thing we need is for John McCain to blow our future on a 100 year war (as long as theres no soldiers in harms way, he says. Sure the U.S occupying Iraq for a 100 years wont bring casualties....the Iraqi's would love the company...right?)

I'll admit i'm not as confident in the American people as i was in 2004. How did they elect George Bush AGAIN?. Well lets hope the public woke up and the voice of the youth isnt drowned out by the fear mongering from the right.

Obama/Webb '08

June 21, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. Michael

New Mexico should not be "lean republican". If you look at the races here, most, if not all lean democratic. Tom Udall will win the senate, Heinrich will win CD-1, Lujan will win CD-3, and CD-2 (highly conservative district) will be a VERY close race.

June 21, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. roski

"Stay On Message And Let The Voters Get To Know You! You Can Take These States In November!
    P. S. Love The New Logo!

June 21, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  6. Arleang

I am a Mexican-American by marriage. Both my husband and I are solidly behind Barack Obama. That is pretty astounding because my husband has previously been a registered Republican. Nevada and New Mexico are Western states and will hopefully join us Californians in voting Democratic in November.

We know that change cannot happen overnight, but we also know that there is no hope for change if the Republicans get in the White House again.

June 21, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  7. mateo

Bottom line is this: If the Democrats can't take back the white house and bury the Republicans in congress after the near apocalyptic failure of the last 8 years then they should just close up shop and go to grad school.

Period.

June 21, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. Charlotte

Obama is a liar and everyone should know that by now. He has lied about NAFTA, Campaign Finance, Rev. Wright, Tony Rezko, Father Pfleger, Selma, Trinity Baptist Church and the list keeps growing. The new Logo was the most arrogant display yet. Who does he think he is? I won't vote for him now, even if Hillary is his VP. He scares me more everyday. I wish the real Obama would please stand up. Hilter won his election by one vote! I do not trust him or his hateful wife. They listen to that hate filled church for 20 years and only left when it became a liability to his desire to rule this country. After the way Bush got away with everything, this congress scares me even more then he does. They will allow him to do as he pleases without oversight. I don't need the GOP to scare me, Obama scares me all by himself. I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November unless he scares me even more, then I will vote for McCain

June 21, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. Darrin Lythgoe

Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada are large states area-wise. I live in Utah, another large-area state, and we here (at least in SLC) do not receive *any* media coming from neighboring states. For that reason I really don't think the fact that all these states are next to each other is going to play a significant part in how they vote.

June 21, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  10. Jon

I'm a mix -up of German/Jewish/Dutch/Russian. My mom used to call me a mutt. My skin is white, but my eyes are slanted, aisian style. Obama is like me, a mix-up. What does it matter? If you are honest, you are honest. If you can lead, you can lead. Obama can lead.

June 21, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. Dinesh

May was boring and drawn out anyways. Now that hes started his national campaign, and will rely on donors, he will make money. Just go to his website.

June 21, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. Cyndi

if Obama is virtually closing in on McCain's home-turf, ala Arizona in the polls, New Mexico is a major player especially after he opted out of Public financing.

June 21, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. MaryL- Ca

It doesn't appear that McCain is moving very fast on the campaign trail to meet with the voters, like Obama is. It is important to communicate with the people and discuss issues from State to State, if McCain is serious about qualifying as President..

June 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Willie in Kansas

The Republicans have screwed up the economy so bad that Utan, Texas, and even Arizona will be blue in November. Obama Rocks!!!!!!

June 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. ARE-YOU-FOR-REAL

Go Obama do your 50 state thing! Swing them all! People are tired of the Rep. dis – func ' tion – al administration.

June 21, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. Raraseal

I am far from being religious, but could this be the second com...g. You know what I mean....that a lot of people believe is going to happen. Oops and all along he has been among us. HA!

June 21, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. NOTIEE

Good things come from every corners of the earth and good people recognize when they see one. Nevada and New Mexico are both ready for a change.
    WE ARE TIRED OF SAME OL´DIRTY POLITICS. changes and better judgements are what we need to make us a better people and a better nation.
    Stand for what is right. Enough of all the hate and rumours.The future of our country depends on us.

June 21, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. Ben

Go Obama! I think this is going to be a blow-out in November. He'll take Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada, for sure.

June 21, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Typical White Person

>>People are now having cold feet on voting for obama in november.as any african american i will promise all of you noting to worry about he will make good president for all of us.so stop the fear and go for something you thnik is possible.god bless united state of america <<

So then why does Obama keep calling all us whites 'racists' randy?

June 21, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. George

Obama is a fraud. He has no chance for election. The blue state media is spinning the data. Stupid democrats.

June 21, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. Antone Oreng

Since everybody wants change, and we have seen many red states are changing their voting trend, Obama will be able to carry most of the red states since American people are fed up with this unpopular Iraq war and the economy being in its worst situation in history. Obama will make a good president.

June 21, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. charlie

if you are voting for obama because he is black, you are racist, if you are not voting for obama because he is black you are racist. same for mccain, voting for him because he is white is racist along with not voting for him because of his age is a form of racism. the actions of the candidates and the issues should be how you decide to vote. there is a huge difference in the two candidates, educate yourself and make a wise choice.

June 21, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  23. Carol

As predicted, Obama is showing his true self more and more and the people are afraid. Not because he is black...get real....because he is too inexperienced and a flip flop artist. It is getting harder and harder to believe what he says. And his supporters? OMG....I have never seen a more hostile bunch in my life. The whole thing scares me to death. I hate the fact I am going to have to vote Rep. this election. This country deserves so much more. The next four years are going to be even harder than the past eight, and the American people have no one to blame but themselves.

June 21, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Michael

As a New Mexico resident I continue to be amazed that anyone is thinking McCain has a chance here. Without Heather Wilson's bizarre appeal to some moderate Democrats, there's nothing that's pushing this state in a Republican direction at all. Democrat Udall should easily take Republican Domenici's Senate seat and Democrat Heinrich will almost certainly take Republican Wilson's House seat. There's even a chance that Republican Pearce's seat could turn leaving us with an entirely blue Congressional delegation. With all that going on, Obama should take our 5 electoral votes with ease. Just because we're next to Arizona doesn't mean we have much, if anything, in common with it. Actually, our better knowledge of McCain could make it even harder for him to prevail here.

June 21, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  25. Str Prpn

New Mexico is next to Arizona, that's true. But culturally the two states are quite different. Not many New Mexicans will lean toward McCain just because he's from next door.

June 21, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |