June 22nd, 2008

Sunday Roundup: A battle of the 'flip-flops'

ALT TEXT

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Days after both men reversed course on major issues, the presidential campaigns of Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain spent much of Sunday's talk-show circuit working to ensure accusations of "flip-flopping" don't stick.

Both sides tried to go on offense, with the Obama camp accusing McCain of "yet another flip-flop," on the issue of oil drilling and the McCain camp saying Obama broke his word on the issue of campaign financing.

McCain said he now supports lifting a federal ban on off-shore drilling that he once supported.

Daschle pointed to the issue, saying, "we're surprised at yet another flip-flop on the part of John McCain here."

But McCain's economic adviser Carly Fiorina, on CBS' "Face the Nation," argued that "a good leader is influenced by the facts on the ground."

Watch: McCain's 'false' claim, Obama's Pinocchios

She added, "We've never before faced a situation where the price of a barrel of oil has doubled in the last 12 months. So what John McCain has said is that we now need to take control of our own energy future." Watch more on the off-shore drilling debate »

When McCain announced his decision Tuesday, he said off-shore oil drilling could be part of a plan "in the short term in resolving our energy crisis." But many analysts argue any significant oil production gain would be years away.

On the issue of campaign financing, Obama announced Thursday he would not take public financing for the general election.

Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, had long spoken in support of public financing, and when asked on a questionnaire whether he would accept public financing if the competition did, he answered "yes."

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. pj

It's wrong and Obama should know it. I'm an Obama supporter, but this was wrong.

June 22, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  2. Dave

what matters more? the Fact that Obama is being completely supported by the general public < PUBLIC FINANCING ? Or the fact that McBush has yet again followed in Bushes footsteps, completely disregarding his own natural judgment. BUSH is the reason were paying so much for energy, and He is also the reason why this country is so messed up.

June 22, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  3. Bridgette

As a tax payer I don't want too pay for their campaign. I think as tax payers we are over burdened. If McCain can't inspire the people that are his supporters too donate money then what can he inspire them too do. I think that 85 million can go to these people who has to watch their homes submerge from water. McCain has been trying too back peddle out of public financing since he signed off on it. So who is the flip-flopper. The reality of it is until they can actually get in that oval office and see exactly what has happened and how much damage is done, they, are both going too say very general things. That is the reality of the situation.

June 22, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. ron canada

in obama's world thats called chicago politics where ethics is a dirty word.when you can't win on an even field lie and justify.God save america.

June 22, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. Geri

Yes, he is willing to take money from people who cant afford it. Maybe
    you & Obama should live in the Midwest for ahile where all the floods and devastation have taken place and wonder how these people are going to donate to him. He should take his excess and donate to the Red Cross and Salvation Army that are out of money . Im sure with his millions that he doesn't care about the price of fues and what food prices are. He flies around in jets and gets driven around in limos....
    what a waste of money plus the secret service . Hes a joke & a liar.

June 22, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  6. ron canada

I'd like to see an independent, random selection of names from that 1.5 million donors to see if they themselves donated to the obama campaign or was it courtesy of Tony Rezko and company

June 22, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  7. georgie

The difference between the two is .....Obama did what he thought was better for himself, McCain did what he thought was better for the country. Does anyone see that? And for everyone who has seen obama's new ad, check out the facts. The guy is so full of himself and crap it makes me want to puke!

June 22, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. Rob indetroit

charlotte shut up.

June 22, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  9. jimtranr in Oregon

Barack Obama's lame rationalization of his decision to reject public financing of his general election campaign is just another indication of the lack of authenticity, credibility, and integrity he displayed in his long-delayed denunciation of Reverend Jeremiah Wright's extremism and in his willingness to publicly throw his own grandmother under the bus for political reasons.

I've voted for every Democratic White House nominee since John Kennedy in 1960, but this year I'll leave the presidential portion of my ballot blank. Nobody makes the cut for me in '08.

June 22, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. Charlotte

So many flip-flops, it is like a day on the beach..I must comment on another blog..Kevin, on another post. Loved your post turtle story. May I borrow it? It fits Obama to a tee. I had never heard it before, and find it hillar-ious. I remember the Robin Williams movie where he accidently wins the election. Didn't have the foggest idea what to do. Obama fits that mold, also that movie is where Obama got the, "we are not red states, we are not blue states, we are the United States." I got to admit it has a nice ring to it. Obama, is a POST TURTLE! I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November, watsted or not my conscience will be clear.

June 22, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. Sternberg

The situation of fuel costs have changed and both of our candidates have changed with that need. The campaign finance situation has not changed, only the man crying "change you can believe in", has abandoned his principles.

June 22, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  12. Timothy

Yes, Obama was clearly for public financing and still is for public financing the different here is Obama look at the situation viewed public financing up agaist his purest public financing machine and came to an excellent stand which was No thank -you and that was very smart !! Obama understands that his supporters want him to win and we are givern Obama small donations from our hard working money and we want Obama to use it to win and if you ask me this is the purest form of Public financing and Obama didnot go back on his word because he clearly said he did'nt want Lobbyiest and PACS to be apart of this and with Mccain and we all know how the Republicans are going to come full force. So I said Good for Obama.

June 22, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  13. Vivienne

Hey Charlotte,

It sounds like you live in a beautiful state and you have all of your toys around you so that you can play in that beautiful state and enjoy yourself. The problem with your reasoning is that you are willing to sit back and cut back on the joys of life because of the expense of gas. That's just crazy. Instead, you should be raising hell and holding your government responsible for not mandating that we have a way to outfit our vehicles with the new technology that is already in place and already being sold to consumers. The technology is already here but it is expensive. If the government was truly concerned about the price of oil, one thing that it could do is help bring automakers and these talented startup companies together and subsidize every American who wanted to get their car installed with one of those electrical plugin kits. Believe me you if you had half the vehicles in this country wired, gas prices would fall back to .89 cent for regular within 12 months.

You give up to easy. Check out this link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25104169/

You need to take a cue from the Obama supporters and get involved. The best thing that Barack Obama did this past week was to reject public financing. I don't want my money going to a candidate that I didn't support. Plus, instead of Barack being held accountable to special interest and lobbyist; he is accountable to me.

The difference between you and me... I'm finally ready to get out into the streets and roadways of American, roll up my sleeves and do a little hell raising.

If not now, then when?

June 22, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  14. Bubba

There is no edge. Just a pack of lying politicians like Oboma and McCain. Put your thoughts into some other endeaver.

June 22, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  15. no more threats!!

Michele in Oregon,, that was funny!! obama hates America! and blames it for all that is wrong in the world, lol, and I bet he hates you too, but not YOUR MONEY, and yes God forbid we should drill and help out hurting Americans, what a terrible thing to change your mind on,,, obama is a dangerous fraud,

DEMOCRATE VOTING FOR McCAIN, DOWN WITH THE DEMS!!!

June 22, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  16. RB

Wow. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who believe Obama's rejection of "public financing" means absolutely nothing. Who cares...really. "We the people" are funding his campaign with small donations. McSame is upset because he can only get funding from his fat-cat lobbyist friends and big oil/business.

I supported McSame before he flip-flopped on WHO HE IS. He used to be against tax cuts for the rich; he used to be supportive of veterans; he used to be the rebel in W's side. BUT, he's flipped on all of us who supported him when he was hell-raiser. Now he just looks like another W. The deal breaker for me was his failure to vote on the torture issue after going head-to-head with W. He said the US should not torture and now has changed his mind. I guess once we vet out the report from the General who looked into torture at Gitmo, McSame will have something else to explain.

Best way to divert attention from your flip-flops is to point out the other guy's. Nice try McSame! Won't work.

June 22, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  17. Michael

Flip Flop, what politician doesn't flip flop on the issues. As to Obama backing out of public financing, I understand it and agree with it but I think he went about it wrong. McCain is showing he will say anything to get elected, he knows the gas tax holiday is useless, he knows this drilling idea is useless and will do nothing for our price at the pump for many years to come and then maybe only five cents according to some economist. While I support Obama, he really doesn't have much of a plan that will work, we are to addicted to oil and the oil companies will spend billions to fight him every step of the way. I have come to the conclusion that we are just stuck with high prices at the pump, life goes on.

June 22, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  18. Mary wa

McWaffle is already being investigated for campaign infraction during the primary and flying around the world on Cindy's jet, why shouldn't Obama use the money he has raised to support his campaign? More power to him! McWaffle is for big oil! GET RID OF ENRON LOOPHOLES NOT BEAUTIFUL SHORELINES!

June 22, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  19. joe

mccian is the biggest flip floper on this planet earth.

June 22, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  20. Kim J

How do you know Obama's election money is pure? Because it is donated in smaller amounts? Because it is donated over the internet? I guess lobbyists or special interest families and friends can't donated in smaller increments over the internet? I think it is very greedy of Obama to ask for money from the general public when the price of kitchen table goods is going up daily. He should be ashamed of himself.

June 22, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. joe

Mccain is trying to play that political game on off shore drilling to make Americans happy but he doesnt relize that it wont help us now its too late we should of done that ten yeras ago. Mccain is the real deal of flip flopers.

June 22, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  22. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

Republicans Are Angry Because By Obama Not Taking Public Funds It Takes Away Their Big Advantage. . . Money! Its Like A Slap To Their Face With A Wad Of Hundred Dollar Bills! Although Some Republicans Probably Like It! The Only Thing Mccain Is Going To Drill Is A Deeper Hole For Himself!

June 22, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  23. READY999

CHARLOTTE-YOU MUST BE A REPUBLICAN THAT McSAME DO NOT WANT TO CUT TAXES FOR{THE RICH}===MOTORHOME,STARBUCKS-LOL

June 22, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  24. David

All politicians change their minds. It goes to the point of appealing to a group of people. I don't like it, but am used to it. Over the last few years I have decided the best approach to picking a President is to determine who is going to control congress and choose the opposite party to run the White House.

I am not mad at Obama for opting out of public financing. It is his choice. I think this may be the start of something over the next few elections.

I am not opposed to offshore drilling. We need to look 10 years in the future. If no viable alternative is available having more oil is not a bad thing. I think the oil not being put in the SPR needs to be sold at market value and that money put towards alternative energy. It could take 20 years before alternative transportation becomes affordable.

June 22, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  25. KateLynn

We have two wars going, an economy in the tank and the reputation of our country abroad the lowest ever. Public financing for campaigns or not is not a major issue for me. All I know is that most conservatives were saying Obama was too naive just a few days ago but all of a sudden they are saying he's too clever. Maybe it's they who are flip-flopping!

Off-shore drilling, several energy experts have said, would make no difference. McCain is pandering the same way he tried to pander with his gas tax holiday idea (I wonder what happened to that brilliant idea!). No wonder Bush, the man with the reverse Midas touch (everything he has touched–the war, the economy, the environment, etc. turned to dust) is also supporting off-shore drilling. McBush is headed for a huge defeat!

Obama-Sebilius '08!