June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP.
Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP.

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. McCrazy

For the record here, I AM voting for Obama, but because I am a democrat. Hillary is still the best choice, but i will still support Obama and hope he proves me wrong, but i wont hold my breath. That being said, he is still a better choice than McCrazy.

June 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. Becky

Nothing wrong with being open and transparent, something needed more in our government. Someone asks you a question, and you answer it. What a great concept!

I personally would like Richardson as VP, but I have faith Obama will make the best choice.

Obama '08

June 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. Kevin Moore

I miss why Biden would be relevant as a VP.

June 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. Jack Colson

A change? Do you really think Obama is a change? Are you ever misguided.
    Biden would be twice the President that Obama would be.
    Obama has "changed his mind" about issues more than any politician I've ever seen 'IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME" than any politiican I've ever SEEN.....and I've seen alot in 45 years.
    Obama is all about celebrity folks.
    Jack C
    Oregon

June 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. here we are

Gotta love Obama.

He played the race card so successfully (while claiming they never played the race card) against Hillary Clinton to eliminate her from the race... that he is now using the exact playbook and strategy in the GE against McCain.

Obama's premise is that since he is black and running for president he is entitled to BE president.

Any candidate who dares to campaign against him- be it HRC from his own party or McCain from the Republican side- IS RACIST just for daring to run against him.

And... any voter who votes against Obama is likewise a racist for not making Obama the first black president.

Gotta love the audacity and arrogance of that position.

And, once again the media won't call him on the race baiting.

June 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  6. bob in L.A.

This is the man that should be our next President. He's honest, non-pandering and speaks plainly on issues- mostly to his own demise.
    I hope he is not tapped as VP so he can continue to do the great ob he does in the senate.

June 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. Bishop

That's what I'm talking about!!!

June 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. KIKI

I love non-hypocrite people.
    My three choices for VP are:
    Hagel
    Biden
    Sebelius
    I can guarantee you the choice is among these three.

June 23, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Mary - Independent

To have Joe Biden as VP would be great. He is a man with a lot of knowledge. GO JOE BIDEN!

June 23, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. JC

Please say it ain't so. Obama needs an outside-of-the-box thinker, and Joe's strictly a party man. He brings nothing to the Obama ticket.

June 23, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. J.C.

I remember Senator Biden said he was not interested in VP soon after he withdrew from the primary. He said he could contribute more by staying in the Senate.

Biden is now willing to serve the nation with Obama. You have to give the man the respect he deserves.

Strickland doesn't have to worry. He won't ever be elected for anywhere near the White House. I don't know if his rejection to serve with Obama is due to his endorsement of Hillary, but to say he will refuse even if elected is troubling.

Thanks, Senator Biden for your will to serve!

June 23, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  12. strategy

Joe Biden is a great man but I think we need a governor. Did all of my fellow Obamacans see the latest GA polls? 44%–McCain, 43%–Obama, and 6%–Barr? With Barr being a spoiler we have got a real shot in GA.

Let's stop wasting all of our time arguing with a small percentage of insane Hillary supporters. Most of her people are pragmatists like she is and they put their feelings aside and do what is best for the country. We need to concentrate on voter's registration and get new voters!! Go to barackobama.com and get involved. We can

June 23, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. rktsci3127

Oh boy. Two people who have never led anything.

June 23, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |