June 23rd, 2008

Obama’s presidential seal gone after one use

The Obama campaign is no longer using the above logo.
The Obama campaign is no longer using the above logo.

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s communications director said Monday that the presidential seal the campaign unveiled last week at a meeting with Democratic governors won’t be seen again.

“That was a one time thing for a one time event," Robert Gibbs told CNN.

Pegged to Obama’s rostrum at Friday’s meeting was his campaign’s version of the presidential seal – a bald eagle clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, Obama’s had the campaign’s trademark “O.” Rather of the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” lined the top and bottom.

The Latin “Vero Possumus” was arched between the eagle’s wings, meaning “Yes we can,” an Obama slogan and rally chant.

Many wondered whether a seal – with Latin phrasing no less – was the best idea for a candidate fighting for the working class vote and trying to fend off allegations of elitism.

1. vw

No matter which kind of log or seal you choose to use, this hijacked party and his so-called nominee are doomed to lose in Nov.

June 23, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Rick

Stupidity is in the minds of the Dems, are they trying to dictate our lifes, we got Hillary out, but I see now Obama is trying the Clinton run at the white house. I should have known he was all talk about change............

June 23, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. laura, CA

Well said Jeff Spangler, VA

I thought it was a ridiculous logo to use and leaned toward maximum hubris, but lack of gravitas is a synonym for the joke that it all is.

June 23, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. Molly

What a FAKE – HIS OWN Seal – the one we have been using for 200 years is not good enough for our CHANGE guy. What next – a New Flag – or – a New White House – in "Chocolate City" – oh – did I mention that I am the black candidate" – - WHO CARES – you are NOT qualified – BUT – you are Arrogant.

June 23, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. Yankeedoodle in Virginia Beach

What, the OBAMA SEAL?? UNBELIEVEABLE!! Doesn't he have any control over those people running his campaign??

Is this a preview of how he will run the country IF he becomes President??? An example of an exercise in POOR JUDGEMENT!

We have seen him as, "the Great Orator ", BUT the questions remain, can he LEAD effectively? That will depend on whom he chooses for his vice-presidential running mate. WHY NOT HILLARY??? But can he GOVERN???

I cannot vote for Obama. McCain has sold his soul to the religious right to get their vote. IT'S ABOUT THE SUPREME COURT and trying to REPEAL ROE vs WADE!!

I have always voted in an election.. This time I will vote for Marc Warner for Senator from Virginia , and any Dem running for the House. I will write in Hillary Clinton for President!! If that is not possible, my NO VOTE for president will signify a vote for Clinton.

Let's see how many crossover Republican votes there were for Obama. I still maintain she won the popular vote. Isn't it time we got rid of the Super Delagates?? We never had them before in an election!

Remember, a NO VOTE for president is a vote for Hillary in NOV.

Yankeedoodle in Virginia Beach

June 23, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Mary

Yea, Obama had the Audicity to insult an eagle. He should have used a skunk–more like the real guy.

June 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Hispanic For McCain

Again and Again CNN, Sen Menendez of NJ, and MSNBC keep saying that OBAMA is going to win the Hispanic vote by 90% to10% for McCain NOT TRUTH!!!!!!!! by is it that CNN, and all tose Stupid cable station keeps reporting False Numbers. Hispanic people will vote for McCain and in bunches. The Puertorican people in NY, NJ, CT, FL, NM. Nevada, TX McCain will get alots of Hispanic Vote. The puertorican people always supported Hillary Clinton but we not support OBAMA trust me that. I have lots of friends the puertorican in New York and they will not vote for OBAMA. McCain will win alot of Hispanic vote. OBAMA Does not like the puertorican people, and the puertorican nation will not forget about that. Even if he puts Hillary as VP McCain will get the most puertorican vote in NY Because Puertorican will not support OBAMA. So CNN, and all those pundit saying falsely rumor stop it. The Hispanic will decide the election 2008 and John McCain will receive a ton of votes

June 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. The Truth

Great! It was a bit presumptuous!!

Obama '08!!

June 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. Deb n Texas

Democrates for McCain can go on and vote for him. If McCain wins we all will be eating DIRT before the end of his first term – we won't have money to buy 1 gallon of gas. Democrats go on ahead and vote for McCain – you will be doing something that a lot of Republicans can do – go on and have fun; just keep your hatefulness to yourselves, there is no time for negativity – I am struggling to make ends meet.

June 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Get over it

What a crock, everyones crying about HRC, but she lost plain and simple. If Boston would have beat LA by only one point who is the winner. The rules were set up and the people voted. Get over it If you want to vote for McBush go ahead, Obama is still going to win and we don't need you. As a matter of fact go help the GOP dig for oil off the coast while we come up with a better solution for the country.......

Go Obama!!!!!

June 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Freida, NYC

The nerve of Obama!!! I am so sick of this man and his arrogance. I wouldn't be surprised if he names this country after his name. What is next... "The Obama States of America?" Yikes, it sounds awful. God please help us.

June 23, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. MnannyFesto

Wow, when did so many morons learn to use the computer? Who cares, it's an ugly design anyway.

I couldn't care if he started wearing a crown and speaking only in French, he'd still be 100 times better than McCain or Clinton.

June 23, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. Kenneth M

YOU GUYS ARE NOT SURE WHEN YOU ARE BEING PLAYED. THE LOGO WAS TO DRAW FIRE. THIS WAY HE KNOWS WHAT YOU GOING TO DO AND CONTROLS WHAT YOU DO IT TO. YOU GUYS ARE BEING PLAYED. LIKE I SAID. HE IS NEW TO YOU, YOU ARE NOT NEW TO HIM.

June 23, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Montana is Obama Country

Blogger: FRANK June 23rd, 2008 3:50 pm ET.. wrote ........ "I THINK IT IS AN INSULT TO THE OFFICE" ....

The INSULT to the OFFICE ...IS, WAS,,, and always WILL BE... George W. BUsh.... (looks like you are the one out of touch)......

Yes...WE...Can....

June 23, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. AJ

Yes we can what? Elect a toatlly unqualifed empty suit to the presidency? We have already done that with G.W. Bush. How's that working for you? Obama is all arrogance and rhetoric and no substance. I am a lifelong democrat who will not support Obama in the fall. Obama and his supporters make me want to vomit...

June 23, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. Marie

I cannot believe we are talking about logo's when our gas is skyrocketing, home heating oil could top $7.50 per gallon this winter, our economy is a joke, taxable income is going nowhere for most americans and the wealth in this country are pushing for another war.

If you think that gas prices and stagnant wages isn't a tax I don't know what is people.

June 23, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. Erick

OBAMA WILL LOSE!!! WRONG CHOICE TO IMPROVE AMERICA.

HE WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT!

June 23, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. Mark, B'ham., Al.

His comments to the S.F. Elitest , his attitude toward small town America, his Harvard Law Degree after it turned liberal elitest, and now the seal are just more truth telling signs of his being a "Liberal Elitest".

June 23, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. Vlad

PRESUMPTUOUS INSECT!!

June 23, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Haloalani

Good. That seal was a lame idea. People are interested in substance not symbols, unless the symbol's in a mystery novel. Wait, come to think of it, the general election campaign is a mystery novel being scripted write now.

June 23, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. Women In California For Obama

Another wise choice. I wasn't comfortable with this idea. At least he listens to the public...

June 23, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. Marshall

How much did he waste on this? I thought he was about change? This seems to be politics as normal. Change? I guess someone considers this change. I want to see real change or his plans for it, not just words. How do you planm to make changes and to what?

June 23, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. meg

Arrogance is the sef image of a man. Backpedaling is the weak character of a man. Saying whatever you think the people want to hear is the attitude that others are fools. And last, but not least, smiling can sometimes only be a showing of one's teeth.

I have issues with a person possessing these characteristics when applying for the Presidency of our great nation.

Show me real. Show me integrity. Show me determination. Show me something I would vote for. "Change" is a lot of things....that doesn't mean "change" is automatically what is best for America.

Please post

June 23, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Hello!!!

Good. It was a terrible COPY you can XEROX.....Hello!!!! Remember how George W. gave us SOOOOOOO many clues before he was voted in???????????????????? What you see in between the lines BEFORE you vote is what you with get TEN-FOLD if voted in!!!!!

June 23, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. Jose52

The seal removal is a sign of the crumbling of the illusion of bambi' s
    propaganda. This man has no substance, and no GRAViTAS.

June 23, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |