June 23rd, 2008

Obama’s presidential seal gone after one use

The Obama campaign is no longer using the above logo.
The Obama campaign is no longer using the above logo.

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s communications director said Monday that the presidential seal the campaign unveiled last week at a meeting with Democratic governors won’t be seen again.

“That was a one time thing for a one time event," Robert Gibbs told CNN.

Pegged to Obama’s rostrum at Friday’s meeting was his campaign’s version of the presidential seal – a bald eagle clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons, but instead of a shield covering the center of the eagle’s body, Obama’s had the campaign’s trademark “O.” Rather of the words “Seal of the President of the United States” around the circumference, “Obama for America” and “www.barackobama.com” lined the top and bottom.

The Latin “Vero Possumus” was arched between the eagle’s wings, meaning “Yes we can,” an Obama slogan and rally chant.

Many wondered whether a seal – with Latin phrasing no less – was the best idea for a candidate fighting for the working class vote and trying to fend off allegations of elitism.

1. Chris in England (Yurup)

Towards the end of his Presidential campaign, GW Bush 'rehersed' the oath of office at a rally. For those of you who are saying Obama is being arrogant, don't you suppose he has the right to be, he is a presidential nominee, more than the average guy achieves.

June 23, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. Nancy

It was cute, but I think the country is a little sensitive about these things.

I'm glad it's gone and I still support Barack.

June 23, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. Hello!!!

Hey, Beltway insider. You need a vacation :)

June 23, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Bradley In Colorado

Hope you haters are happy...You just REALLY love destroying the good times, dontcha?

June 23, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. Hello!!!

Miles, you would hire designers that COPY from others? What do you do? Wouldn't you want originality?

June 23, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  6. Jean

It is getting boreing reading all of these comments infering that all voters are so pathetic as to operate only on emotions, inferiority and inogrance. Voters are more informed and are capable of critical thought.

June 23, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  7. ACG in Dallas

Wow! Every single time he gets criticized for something, he drops it. Quit his Church after the Jeremian Wright and Pfleger controversies. Now his campaign logo. Add to that opting out of public funding. This guy can not stand for anything he believes in. He will do and say anything to get elected, even if it means sacrificing his integrity. How can Hussein Obama lead this country? Unbelievable!

June 23, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Lame talkers

You people who all take up for everything Obama does are like parents thinking thier kids can never do wrong, while they are at it constantly. It is very presumptious of him to already be making his own version of the seal, disrespectful of our traditions. He should wait till the time comes, if it does?

June 23, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  9. Lisa

Aww poor Obama, he has McSame supporters and Hillary supporters coming after him. I tried my hardest to rally behind Obama I couldn't though Hillary. Especially after he told her supporters to get over it. I'm sorry Mr. Obama but I can't vote for you.

June 23, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. Yankeedoodle in Virginia Beach

What, the OBAMA SEAL?? UNBELIEVEABLE!! Doesn't he have any control over those people running his campaign?? Another example of hiis Elitism –Huberis.

Is this a preview of how he will run the country IF he is elected President??? An example of an exercise in POOR JUDGEMENT!

We have seen him as, "the Great Orator ", BUT the questions remain, can he LEAD effectively? That will depend on whom he chooses for his vice-presidential running mate. WHY NOT HILLARY??? But can he GOVERN??? As his campaign progresses we will see about his choices.

I cannot vote for Obama. McCain has sold his soul to the religious right to get their vote. IT'S ABOUT THE SUPREME COURT and trying to REPEAL ROE vs WADE!!

I have always voted in an election.. This time I will vote for Marc Warner for Senator from Virginia , and any Dem running for the House. I will write in Hillary Clinton for President!! If that is not possible, my NO VOTE for president will signify a vote for Clinton.

Let's see how many crossover Republican votes there were for Obama. I still maintain she won the popular vote. Get rid of the Super Delagates!! We never had them before in an election!

Remember, a NO VOTE for president is a vote for Hillary in NOV.

Yankeedoodle in Virginia Beach

June 23, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Hello!!!

melinda from charlotte.....you're right on!

June 23, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. Anne

Do it, see which way the wind blows and then when it s bad, pretend you didn't really mean to continue doing it and then make it disappear. Just like he did with Rev. Wright. He waited until the press got too bad and then discarded him just like this elitist seal.

June 23, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. RRE

Obama is an idiot.

June 23, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. DJ, LA, CA

What's the big deal? It's just an eagle with same stuff in his talons inside a circle.

The Neo-Cons are just jealous that they don't have any cool looking or creative logos of their own

June 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  15. EmmaAtlanta

Thank Goodness the almighty Seal is gone. This is another politics of convenience. Obama spent all that money to use it for only one time? Tell that to the 12 year old supporters who do not even know the type of change they are chanting for. Change for good or change for bad, the seal is a big sign and time will tell.

June 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. Gene

I love how people are making some a big deal about this. Who cares... so he's using a presidential logo while he's running for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. I love how people these days see confidence as arrogance. Even more so.. I love how people make a judgement that he's elitist. ANYONE running to obtain the most ELITE job in the country and possibly the world is an ELITIST. I wouldn't want someone who's not an elitist to run for president.

June 23, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. Republican for Obama

Glad the insignia is gone, it did look a bit too much and a tad disrespectful of the Oval Office (regardless of whether you like our current Pres or not, we need to respect the symbology of it)

I just have to say: I promise to vote for a Republican (who would of thunked it based on my blog name) if Hillary ever runs for President. PUMA and their threats are all but killing any chance of Hillary to ever be elected. She will end up in the Ralph Nader category if her lunatics don't grow up. Revenge can be a cruel punishment, and it always goes both ways.

Obama '08

June 23, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  18. Sam

I'm an Obama supporter and even though I'm one of his kool-aid drinkers, I thought that his "seal" was a bit over the top. By the way, the actual translation of the latin is: "It is a truth that we have the ability". I guess that explains why the Romans didn't use bumper stickers. That would have been a big bumper sticker to put on a chariot.

Considering what the bloggers are saying here about Obama's elitism and arrogance, I'd suggest his campaign get a slogan that says, "I'm pretty sure we can, but I'm not making any promises until the guys that went to community college let me know it's OK."

June 23, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  19. Anita from Arizona

Ok, and how is this article going to lower my cost for groceries?

June 23, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. Mat

Bad idea – gives the idea that he thinks he's allready won it – only the President of the US should stand with that symbol – anyone else, even Obama, and I am a big supporter of Obama, looks cocky and almost smug!

I'm sure his campaign did not intend that – more so, they probably wanted people to get use to the idea of Obama as President – this was not the way.

No need to worry – apparently McCains advisors are hoping for another attack on America to secure 4 more years in the White House – what does that say!

June 23, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  21. B

Both candidates' energy policies are stupid.
    Using ethanol just keeps food prices (ethanol comes from corn) higher so we can drive. Does that make sense? No.
    Offshore drilling just exposes us to a whole host of crazy risks that would not make any sense if we weren't so addicted to driving.
    Here's a thought: walk somewhere. Ride a bike. Would it be so terrible if our lives slowed down a little bit? Probably not.

As far as the logo is concerned, Obama is a cocky, elitist snob. He knows the American people are buying into the rhetoric he is literally spewing. It's still presumptuous, but if you were on the receiving end of all the undeserved praise that he has been, wouldn't you be a little egotistical too?

June 23, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. Gene

I love it... Obama gets blasted for things like using a logo, or not using tax dollars to run his campaign. McCain gets blasted for wanting to continue a war at the objection of the majority of the american people, and denying service men the benefits which he himself received.

This shows how petty people are. All this crying over a logo, or who's paying for a campaign when there's real issues out there. Yes.. Obama, the evil arrogant guy who used a logo which we didn't like. Obama, the one to bring the whole country down (like it isn't down right now).

The rest of the world is just praying that Obama gets elected.. so the United States can be seen as a country with leadership that actually listens as opposed to just throwing our weight around.

June 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  23. Sheri

The logo is very nice. It's just a logo. Look good!

June 23, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. CLINTON 08 VP

TO MCCAIN: TOO MUCH VIETNAM IS WHAT MAKES YOU TOO MUCH IGNORANT TO BE PRESIDENT FOR LOSING TO MANY BRAIN CELLS WHILE YOU WERE A PRISONER, PRETTY MUCH LIKE YOUR DADDY BUSH ONLY THAT I THINK THAT HE WAS BORN WITH ONLY A FEW BRAIN CELLS… THE POINT IS THAT YOU CAN'T BE PRESIDENT BECAUSE YOU'RE WAR-SICK AND THAT MAKES YOU THINK ONLY ON WAR, DEATH, WAR, WAR, WARWARWARWAR…

June 23, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. Ellen

I expect Obama to come out anyday now wearing a crown.
    nobama. Democrat for Mcain