June 24th, 2008

Blitzer: Obama is on an ambitious quest

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

(CNN)–Barack Obama says he’s going to run a 50-state race for the White House. His aides say he will aggressively seek to make inroads in some of the traditionally Republican presidential states. It’s an ambitious quest but one that would be made easier if he raises hundreds of millions of dollars.

We’ll see in the coming weeks and months how that works out. My instinct tells me he won’t be spending lots of time in Utah and Wyoming, for example.

Still, I do think Obama will campaign actively in North Carolina and Georgia – two states with large numbers of African Americans. His campaign as well as the Democratic National Committee will try to get hundreds of thousands of new voters registered, especially African-Americans and young people. That is potentially very fertile ground for Obama and could make a critical difference in November.

Howard Dean, the chairman of the Democratic Party, was criticized in recent years by some fellow Democrats for spending scarce DNC money in some of the Republican states. He said he wanted the Democratic Party active across the United States. His critics thought that was a waste of money and time.

But now, that investment seems to have paid off. Witness the recent Democratic successes in those three special Congressional elections in Mississippi, Louisiana and Illinois where seats long held by Republicans, including the former Speaker Dennis Hastert, were captured by Democrats.

1. Austin

My, how the world has changed, when the actual candidate of faith is... the Democrat ?!?! Heavens-to-Betsy! Whatever will we do??...

...it should be obvious.

Christians for Obama

June 24, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. Darth Vadik, CA

RIP George Carlin, I will miss you.

June 24, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Doris,Memphis,TN

Barack has shocked so many my bringing down the Clinton machine!
    McCain and his camp will be a piece of cake!

June 24, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Rebra Stevens

Our addiction and dependence on fossil fuel was increased, and empowered, beginning with Reagan. Jimmy Carter was headed in the right direction. He installed solar panels in the white house. Reagan had them removed, he was an oil man, as well as most of the Republican leadership for the last 30 years. It was laughed at; considered crazy. Republicans were basically looking only at the all the money, they could make. They worked so hard on winning the cold war, and enlisting Russia into Capitalism (oh I think they called it "democracy" what a joke). Then Bush the 1st and Clinton, thought what if we brought China and it's billions of people into this Capitalistic system. wonderful, however, no foresight, no vision was ever contemplated. How, was the earth going to withstand all these peopledemanding fossil fuel energy? That mattered not, just the rising balance in the bank accounts. As if this money could consistently be made as such with no future consequences.(Utter foolishness, I say!)
    Well, now we have ridiculous gas prices, a planet in peril, and a war that was started not with high ideals for democracy, just control of oil.
    Mcain offers no real vision, no real way to solve this HUGE problem that he and his Republican friends created. Think of where we might
    be today, if we had begun researching alternate sources of energy over 30 years ago. Solar Panels; not so crazy now, not so funny now, is it?

June 24, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  5. john williams san diego, ca.

Barack Obama/Maxine Waters-onward to socialism...we can overcome..

June 24, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. Kelley

What about the other 7? LOL LMAO

Obama is a loser and a dreamer.....

June 24, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. sarah

didnt obama graduate from jr. high like yesterday?

June 24, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. Patrick Henry

Not only is he on an ambitious quest....he doesn't appear to have an actual plan in place for the possibly that he might achieve it.

Are we really ready for a President who lacks cultural literacy relative to our nation, the armed services, and our historical foreign policy lessons?

I think not.

Ignore history–ignore brutality and evil–ignore the lessons learned in the social and economic turbulence of the decades and doom yourself to a repeat performance.

June 24, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. Frank

Obama is trying to "buy" the Presidency in every sense of the word! He has no shame and will have no problem doing what it takes to win. Of course, if we the people of this great nation let this happen, we will be judged as fools for ever! He has no talent, has done nothing for our country, and does not have the experience it takes. Yes, he has Oprah, but if I were Oprah, I would first try to help my country in any way I can to get rid of poverty before I would put my millions and millions into this empty suite! People of America, wake up! This phony will buy the Presidency if we don't stand up and defeat him. Fortunately the GOP is a brutal machine and will hopefully rip him apart. I wish I could say I am a Republican saying all this, but unfortunately I am a Demcorat saying all this!!!

June 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  10. SZ

Wolf,

It looks like your ongoing quest to get Bill Clinton to say whether/if he's going to endorse Obama has finally paid off. But that rather vague statement from a mere "spokesperson" wasn't quite what you were expecting, perhaps?

Stop trying to influence this election, CNN.

June 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  11. pat

ALL YOU OBAMA SUPPORTERS ARE FOOLS. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAS HE DONE THAT YOU FEEL HE SHOULD BE PRESIDENT. HE CAN GIVE A GOOD SPEECH, THAT WILL NOT SOLVE PROBLEMS. JOHN MCCAIN HAS 20YRS. AS A SERVER OF THIS COUNTRY. MY FIRST CHOICE FOR PRESIDENT IS HILLARY CLINTON, IF THATS NOT POSSIBLE THEN I WILL HAVE TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN I NEED SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIANCE. THAT WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEED. THERE IS A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE WHOHAVE MORE TO OFFER THEN OBAMA. THIS IS TO IMPORTANT TO PUT SOMEONE IN OFFICE WITH ONLY CHANGE AS AN ANSWER NO SULITION.

June 24, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. Geri

Getting them to register is one thing...getting them out to vote is another.

June 24, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Dear Labor members

You do not have to support Obama who is Dr. No and a serial quitter. I urge you to vote for a tried and true and trusted real man. Not a glove wearing girlie man who shovels a couple of sand bags for a photo op,

I am ashamed of our unions being stereotyped. i worry about our great nation having a leader making fun of our hard working white men and women from the mid west who are "called bitter and gun clingers and God Fearing."

We may be "God Fearing" but we aren't bitter and don't cling to our guns. We use our guns to hunt and provide food for our tables that the do nothing Democratic Senate and House have put us on some hard times.

June 24, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. Kick Hillary to the Curb

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 50-state strategy afterall isn't the president of USA supposed to represent all the 50 states. It's ok let Obama get out there and speak to all kinds of people, even the racists. I think it needs to be done. People who have doubts about him need to see him and hear him to get a better feel for his agenda.

June 24, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Jason

Obama has lost this democrat because he and his supporters can't have it both ways. New type of politics = BS.
    Repubs using scare tactics is bad but its ok for him to threaten women with the repeal of roe v. wade if McCain is elected. Scare tactic politics if you ask me.
    Changes his position after giving his word and all his supporters say he didn't pledge he said he would look into it. Take the blinders off he pledged. Blaiming the Clinton's for playing the race card and saying he is above that type of politics and who played the race card the other day BO he is a shameful disgrace and once again the lefties and young people in the democratic party have given us an unelectable candidate. way to go SMART PEOPLE!

June 24, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |