June 24th, 2008

Clinton may run again, Pelosi says

Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.
Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.

(CNN) - Is Hillary Clinton done with presidential politics?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi doesn't appear to think so.

The California Democrat suggested Tuesday that the former Democratic presidential candidate may yet mount another run for the White House.

"I think her candidacy was a just a bright, bright moment for us and she may run again," Pelosi said at a breakfast with reporters organized by the Christian Science Monitor.

Pelosi also appeared hesitant to blame sexism on Clinton's loss to Sen. Barack Obama in the prolonged race for the party's presidential nomination. Clinton, along with several of her supporters, have suggested sexist attitudes among members of the media contributed to the New York senator's eventual loss.

Watch: Pelosi on the Obama effect

“Sen. Clinton has advanced the cause of women in government and her candidacy has been a very positive tonic for the country and had a very wholesome effect on the political process," Pelosi said. "I really don’t know, I haven’t analyzed and the rest, I’m a victim of sexism myself all the time, but I just think it goes with the territory, I don’t sit around to say, ‘but for that."

Pelosi largely stayed on the sidelines during the lengthy Democratic presidential race, though she angered many Clinton supporters earlier in the campaign season after stating the party's superdelegates should not vote against the pledged-delegate winner. Many supporters of the New York senator took those comments to be an implicit endorsement of Obama, given it was clear at the time he would finish ahead in that count.

Several Clinton supporters were also upset with Pelosi after she repeatedly stated Obama and Clinton should not team up on the same ticket.

"I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she told CNN’s Larry King in late April of a joint ticket. “First of all, the candidate, whoever he or she may be, should choose his or her own vice presidential candidate. I think that’s appropriate. That’s where you would see the comfort level, not only how to run but how to govern the country. And there’s plenty of talent to go around to draw upon for a good, strong ticket. I’m not one of those who thinks that that’s a good ticket.”

Watch: Pelosi says no to joint ticket

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. Tammy - KCMO

She may run but she will need Obama supporters to win. I don't see that happening if Obama loses this election due to bitter Clinton supporters.
    No one stole the race from her. She lost it all on her own with her mismanaged funds and kitchen sink tactics.

June 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. sue

Surely the party can come up with another woman candidate. Clinton couldn't win dog catcher. I was tired of having to turn my channel every time she appeared, and I just can't bear the thought I'd have to do that all over again. Groannnnnnnnnnnnnn!

June 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. ladymary

Hillary will NEVER get my vote and she is my supposed representative from NY. She has done nothing for this state, but promise and not fulfill. She panders and lies....that is why she lost and blaming everyone and their brother is not going to change the fact she ran a bad campaign!!!!!!!!!!

June 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. James F

N P. is one of the most far left loons I have seen. It continues to leave me agog to see her in action. For those of you that don't know, she is third in line for the presidency as the democratic whip. That's enough to make you go wee-wee in your pants. Everybody needs to do their homework to see what the democrats have done for us since taking over congress. It's a joke, except in these hard times it's not funny. And, you really want this kook patrol caling all your shots for you in a socialist republic? Good luck, i think I'd rather just go jump over the cliff with the lemmings.

June 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. elliott

Hey Clintons!!! Do us all a favor and just GO AWAY!!!! Your 15 minutes is up.....

June 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Patty

Pelosi go away. You have a nerve saying anything about Hillary. You helped to shut her out. I cannot believe what a hypocrit you are. You are bad for the women's cause and just as arrogant as Obama.

June 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Mark

Pelosi has never supported Hillary. Now that Hillary is out, she can afford to be more muted in her comments. Hillary should list Pelosi in her enemies column.

June 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. Geoff from Canada

Hillary and her "I'm taking my ball home..." now threatening to vote McCain in supporters should just be worrying about getting Obama in.... not her future efforts. It's clear she runs a dirty, whatever to win campaign, with relentless exaggerations and "misspeakings" all to get into an office that her cheating husband nearly got fired from because he.... in the highest office in the US thought that it was also OK to lie in a court of law like home. That's the clinton legacy..... fundamentally selfish and dishonest but can get some stuff done. Go back to doing nothing again Hillary and play up your "experience" card again as a wife of the purgering man who had the job you wanted.

June 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  9. interesting

Like I said, Pelosi knows Obama is toast for Nov-08 to McCain.

Thanks Pelosi. Way to shut down your pick before election starts.

Clinton 2012!

Yeah baby and she might run independent even though DNC is in the tank for Obama in Chicago. Take this far left wing liberal back to Chicago and his pastor where he belongs.

June 24, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Victoria

I don't think it needs to be moderated. That is precisely the problem with the media. You don't want to hear the truth. Eliminate it if you wish.

June 24, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. If not Hillary....then McCain

Pelosi should not even try speaking on Hillary's behalf. I hope Pelosi knows she will be out of a job because there are millions of dems who will be voting straight rep tickets just to clean house.

We the people are tired of not having representaion in Washington, therefore WE will be vetting the next candidates to come down the pike.

When 67% of Americans are in favor of off shore drilling, and Obama opposes it, it is because of his special interests in Illinois, and his ties to the Chicago politicans (some of his "lobbyists") and his investment in ethanol.

We need a three prong approach, domestic drilling, alternative fuels, and conservation. Nothing will happen overnight, but some action has to be taken NOW TO START THE WHEELS TURNING.

June 24, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Tjstelten

This is pandering at its most blantent! Clinton did not loose because of sexism! I'm a 60 plus women and frankly Clinton's emotional out-burst and her lieing was her down fall. She also can't admit that she makes mistakes-its always someone eles's fault! Just because she was the first to run for President does not mean she was a perfect role model to do so. I know the right women may have won,but it was not her. I found that she was not trustworthy and blamed someone else or the media if she faultered.

June 24, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. McSameMcCain on myspace

Hillary didn't lose because of sexist behavior, she lost because of Clintonist behavior.
    I'm for Obama but I wish he were pro choice but if the nation goes with McCain, I can live with that, I just wish he were pro peace.

Either way, people die. At least with Barack, we have a chance at something other than a 100 year war and fond rememerences of back in 2008 when gas was only $4.50 a gallon.

June 24, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. Becky

Hey, in 2012 we can all relive the 2008 primaries with Hillary and Obama! hoorrrraaaaaayyyyyyyy... Let's all be nicer next time. And maybe between now and then they'll update the primaries. I don't think it's fair for some states to have their primaries months and months before other states. Let's have internet voting! Yeah, uh, and pretend hackers don't exist... Hopefully a good solution will be proposed.

Obama '08

June 24, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. BROOKLYN

Lets pray she does because it was THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER letting her go!!!

NObama 2008