June 24th, 2008

Clinton may run again, Pelosi says

Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.
Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.

(CNN) - Is Hillary Clinton done with presidential politics?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi doesn't appear to think so.

The California Democrat suggested Tuesday that the former Democratic presidential candidate may yet mount another run for the White House.

"I think her candidacy was a just a bright, bright moment for us and she may run again," Pelosi said at a breakfast with reporters organized by the Christian Science Monitor.

Pelosi also appeared hesitant to blame sexism on Clinton's loss to Sen. Barack Obama in the prolonged race for the party's presidential nomination. Clinton, along with several of her supporters, have suggested sexist attitudes among members of the media contributed to the New York senator's eventual loss.

Watch: Pelosi on the Obama effect

“Sen. Clinton has advanced the cause of women in government and her candidacy has been a very positive tonic for the country and had a very wholesome effect on the political process," Pelosi said. "I really don’t know, I haven’t analyzed and the rest, I’m a victim of sexism myself all the time, but I just think it goes with the territory, I don’t sit around to say, ‘but for that."

Pelosi largely stayed on the sidelines during the lengthy Democratic presidential race, though she angered many Clinton supporters earlier in the campaign season after stating the party's superdelegates should not vote against the pledged-delegate winner. Many supporters of the New York senator took those comments to be an implicit endorsement of Obama, given it was clear at the time he would finish ahead in that count.

Several Clinton supporters were also upset with Pelosi after she repeatedly stated Obama and Clinton should not team up on the same ticket.

"I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she told CNN’s Larry King in late April of a joint ticket. “First of all, the candidate, whoever he or she may be, should choose his or her own vice presidential candidate. I think that’s appropriate. That’s where you would see the comfort level, not only how to run but how to govern the country. And there’s plenty of talent to go around to draw upon for a good, strong ticket. I’m not one of those who thinks that that’s a good ticket.”

Watch: Pelosi says no to joint ticket

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. JDC // Ohio

Even a facelift won't help if she decides to "run again!"

June 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Mary WA

Come on CNN-stir it up! Get all the blindly devoted Hillary supporters hopped up again. Is that why you continue to call her his RIVAL? She is no longer his rival she is his SUPPORTER unlike her band of NON-SUPPORTERS of the Democratic Party that won't graciously do what she askes of them. HILLARY IS A OBAMA SUPPORTER not a rival.

June 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Matt from NJ

Some of these comments are downright shameful, like Obama/Mugabe 08, come on people. While I do think the media was somewhat sexist regarding Hillary, don't be bitter that your candidate didn't get the nomination. Soon enough there will be a woman president, just not Hillary. There is a reason why Obama got all the Pro-choice groups to back him instead of her. Hillary Democrats, don't sacrifice your political values by voting Republican in the national election... I can't go through 4 more years of this B.S.

The reason the Dems went Obama is because the country is tired of Bushes and Clintons... Period.

Oh and Hillary the Independent, never gonna happen, she is not that selfish... she would never put herself beyond the party good.

June 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. Texas Thinker

I also wonder why these "revenge Democrats" are exacting revenge for someone that does not want you to. It really boggles my mind. Did I particularly care for Clinton? No. Would I have voted for her and her beliefs because they more directly coincide with my own over McCain's. Absolutely. People please think with your heads and not your hearts and don't make the rest of us suffer because of pettiness.

June 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. MurphyMorseJohnson

Senator Pelosi is correct to say that sexism did not do in Hillary Clinton. Hillary's husband, who is sexist, did a lot to trip her up. The Democratic Party has done more for the advancement of women than any other–Independent or Republican. Only in the Democratic Party was there the opportunity for a woman to advance as a viable presidential candidate. Only in the Democratic Party was there a woman vice presidential candidate.

For the good of America, do voters want a Republican economy led by the Bushes, Cheneys, and McCains–$5 gas per gallon, mortgage fever, health expense instead of health insurance, another $trillion to Iraq and countless lives lost, another trillion owed to China, more joblessness instead of jobs, more deregulation over food, health, and safety, higher college tuition? For those who say yes, that is your privilege. For the rest of us, vote Democrat, Democrat, and MORE DEMOCRAT!

June 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Andrea. California

I don't think angry Hillary supporters are the problem here.....all i see are Hillary haters....who are Obama supporters. What a positive hopeful future we will all have.

Miss you Hillary.

June 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. bob in L.A.

Hopefully she will run in 4 years- the Democrats should be ready to embrace her with open arms.

June 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. Voter

She should have been the nominee.
    The DNC and Obama played dirty pool.
    I can not vote for Obama.

June 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. ny

Go Hillary!!

June 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Mike G- Ventura ca

Senator Clinton will have eight years as a top Cabinet person for President Obama. We'll see what happens after that.

June 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. saga for Obama

PUMA.... just kool it kitty. your claws are showing. dont find your self iup a tree with no way down.

June 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. new dems

too little too late.

The heart and soul of the democratic party has left.

Enjoy the new democratic party and all it vile, filthy, vulgar, insulting, denigrating, demeaning haters who used the race card to divide the party and as a weapon against fellow democrats.

June 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. Mod

Democrats are so weak. Thats why you all lose

June 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Jeff - Birmingham, AL

Pelosi, you lost all credibility when you fell into the hype and hooplah of the Obama campaign. But don't worry, after Obama's first term ends in a complete mess, Senator Clinton will be glorified as not only the first woman President but the President whom saved the country from folks like you.

June 24, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. Concerned Citizen of America 08

Would some of you folks quit whining. Obama won the delegate contest fair and square. That's what determines the nominee. These were the same rules in place when Bill Clinton ran for President twice and won twice. FL and MI broke the rules a year in advance and knew the consequences a year in advance. If you ask me, the DNC rules committee which was half Clinton supporters also agreed to the decision. The DNC was gracious in letting MI and FL have a seat and half a vote at the convention. No one pushed Hillary out of the contest, she and Bill made some political blunders that made many very uncomfortable. It almost seemed as if she were campaigning for McCain with her statement " Sen McCain is ready on day one, I am ready on day one, and Sen Obama has a speech he gave in 2002 " I wonder how the Clinton's will respond to that statement while they are out stumping for Obama? It certainly will be hard to defend many of their ugly statements made during the primary season. Of course, maybe that was part of the strategy after super Tuesday when Hillary didn't hit the home run out of the park?

June 24, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Joyce in Florida

I wish she was still running NOW for President. Hillary Clinton was treated horribly and YES it was sexist from the get-go. Hillary Clinton should have been the nominee. This race has been bought. The Obama camp and their supporters will never be ashamed of themselves. They think that they are above all else. I will not forget how Barack Obama and his staff and the media treated her. DISGRACEFUL!!!!!!!!! STILL WANTING HILLARY CLINTON TO BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT.

June 24, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. indpendent

yah. and herseporters think that she is going to get all the obama vote. let me tell u not in a million years! she is done she shold just go back to Arkansas.

June 24, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Another mama4obama

The majority of the posts to this article make me ashamed to be a part of the female persuasion. what is wrong with you all? I live the life of a feminist because I am woman, wife, mother and professional and my accomplishments are because of me (and my faith), not what someone gave me. One day when a woman is elected President, I hope we can all say what a helluva woman that is and not how she only got there because of who she is married to, or how much money she has or who her friends are but someone everyone can look up to. Hilary was (and is) not the one.

June 24, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. Jerry from Oregon

well, that lowers Pelosi in my estimation. why is it that everyone looks at the Democratic primary race and sees how Hillary goes from the inevitable nominee to 2nd place finisher they all cry sexism?

There may be a little to that argument, but I think it had far less to do with sexist bias's as it had to do with the fact that up until March she ran a lousy campaign. She was constantly changing her message, lying when the truth would have been so much more effective, her campaign couldn't manage it's money.

She had unbeatable name recognition and a popular ex-President campaigning for her. She had ALL of the advantages, yet she still lost to a superior organizer, motivator, and leader. i.e. someone more Presidential.

June 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. End the Insanity

Oh PLEASE! Not Again!

If she runs, she should just run away and take her lying, cheating husband with her.

To get any respect back, she needs to dump her husband and get her own life. If she were to come back as Hillary R. I would consider her, but until she shows that she is her own person, she is just a puppet for him to do more harm to the office of the President of the United States.

Hillary, make a life for yourself. What type of example are you setting for your daughter?

June 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Raghu

Is she` regre`tting Obama won?

June 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. Alex in TX

Hell hath no fury like 18 million women scorned.

Get over it. Hillary isn't on the ticket, Obama is.

Get behind him or move over. He shares 90% of her platform. I guess you are showing that it wasn't the issues you were voting for Hillary on, it was her gender.

June 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  23. bob

pelosi for president!

June 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  24. kim

She ran her campaign into a 20 million $ debt. Is this the person you really want running your country
    The US economy is already in a downward slide to depression, but you want to elect a president who cant even run a electoral campaign without going broke.
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

June 24, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. michigan voter

I'm with most of ya...Vote Pelosi out!

June 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |