June 24th, 2008

Clinton may run again, Pelosi says

Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.
Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.

(CNN) - Is Hillary Clinton done with presidential politics?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi doesn't appear to think so.

The California Democrat suggested Tuesday that the former Democratic presidential candidate may yet mount another run for the White House.

"I think her candidacy was a just a bright, bright moment for us and she may run again," Pelosi said at a breakfast with reporters organized by the Christian Science Monitor.

Pelosi also appeared hesitant to blame sexism on Clinton's loss to Sen. Barack Obama in the prolonged race for the party's presidential nomination. Clinton, along with several of her supporters, have suggested sexist attitudes among members of the media contributed to the New York senator's eventual loss.

Watch: Pelosi on the Obama effect

“Sen. Clinton has advanced the cause of women in government and her candidacy has been a very positive tonic for the country and had a very wholesome effect on the political process," Pelosi said. "I really don’t know, I haven’t analyzed and the rest, I’m a victim of sexism myself all the time, but I just think it goes with the territory, I don’t sit around to say, ‘but for that."

Pelosi largely stayed on the sidelines during the lengthy Democratic presidential race, though she angered many Clinton supporters earlier in the campaign season after stating the party's superdelegates should not vote against the pledged-delegate winner. Many supporters of the New York senator took those comments to be an implicit endorsement of Obama, given it was clear at the time he would finish ahead in that count.

Several Clinton supporters were also upset with Pelosi after she repeatedly stated Obama and Clinton should not team up on the same ticket.

"I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she told CNN’s Larry King in late April of a joint ticket. “First of all, the candidate, whoever he or she may be, should choose his or her own vice presidential candidate. I think that’s appropriate. That’s where you would see the comfort level, not only how to run but how to govern the country. And there’s plenty of talent to go around to draw upon for a good, strong ticket. I’m not one of those who thinks that that’s a good ticket.”

Watch: Pelosi says no to joint ticket

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. Mike D

she can run again, after obama wins. if he loses, she will bear the lions share of the blame.

June 24, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Reality Check

Does this mean we still have to pay her debt off?

June 24, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Abbey

Maybe she'll pull a Teddy Kennedy and go against the sitting President-only maybe she'll actually succeed after he manages to effect no change and have his every move orchestrated by Axelrod and the good old boys.

June 24, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. CATHY

Does Hillary need Pelosi's agreement to run again?Take a walk pelosi who needs you?I hope the people in CALIFORNIA vote you out.I hope Hillary runs again i will fully support her again.Thank you Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Debby

I believe it if Obama loses in the Nov. Pelosi doesn't have to much faith in Obama winning or going a second term does she.

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Joe Six

Where is Hillary running?
    Will she challenge Obama in 2012?
    Will she run in 2016 after 2 Obama terms? She'll be almost 70 years old, almost as old as McCain.

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. death blow

I apologize...

I have never called a woman a PIG before.

But you, Pelosi deserve the title.

You lying, cheating, back-stabbing disgrace for a true temocrat.

Keep fixing primaries and watch the party and all its promises and ideals die.

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. DC

And when that day comes, I'll have to think long and hard about voting for her. I agree with Pelosi that Obama shouldn't put her on his ticket - a Joe Biden or even a Chuck Hagel is a better choice.

Chuck Hagel would really send a message of change, wouldn't it? I think Obama's platform could be stronger with someone like him - even with Hagel's strong anti-abortion stance - these two could work together and compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses.

I can't see Hillary Clinton adding anything to the ticket except more strife. As a white woman over the age of 50, I think that the whole sexism and racism blather is pretty much media generated. Sure, those things exist... but they always have and will.

The media just hypes it up to a point where it becomes a frenzy.

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. Quinn

Pelosi makes me sick! Her and the other dem law makers are worthless cowards. They've given Bush a free ride and thru Hillary under the bus.

How can we vote her out of office?

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Joe, Boston

If she's a victim of sexism all the time then she should understand what Senator Clinton went through. Pelosi talks out of both sides of the mouth. Senator Clinton was a true victim of sexism by the media hands down. I'm a guy and I firmly believe the media was out to get her from the get go, especially MSNBC. So Pelosi, fess up and tell the truth and admit Clinton was a victim by the media.

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. D. King

I see why all you sore losers voted for Hillary. It's because you all like to play the blame game.

June 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. Ratgurl

After reading some of these comments, it's clear why I rarely visit this site anymore. Some of the commentators need to educate themselves!!

June 24, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Judy

Crawl back in your hole Nancy, Hillary please file as independent.

June 24, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Dealt

Has Pelosi hit her head? What a so very weird moment to start that issue all over again.

June 24, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. Chris

Can we get back to Obama vs McCain pls??!!?!?!?!

Obama '08
    Hillary (or other female) '12
    Obama '16

DEMS UNITE!

June 24, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. Tina

IF OBAMA DOESN'T WIN IN "08 " CLINTON WILL NOT WIN IN "2012"

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Cody

Clinton supporters,

Perhaps you are correct that there was a sexist component in the way the media treated Hillary Clinton. To some extent it is inevitable. But this does not mean that Obama is to blame. I have seen a lot of people leveling this charge, but so far no one I have seen has actually provided evidence of sexism by Obama himself or his campaign. Obama is a champion of women's rights, just as Clinton was a champion for issues important to African Americans. One labeled sexist, the other labeled racist. Let us get past this transparent nonsense.

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. two-faced back stabbing fool

Why did you keep stabbing Hillary until every drop of blood left her?

Hillary outshines you in her defeat.

We know you did the dirty work of engineering her demise.

I hope you can face God after the trickery and hatred you showed the best candidate the Democrats every had to offer the country.

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. John

"A very positive tonic for the country..." and " a very wholesome effect on the political process" ? what primary campaign was Pelosi following?

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. Carol Schleich

Why would she when the Democratic party threw her under the bus to support Obama? I think she should go Independent. It didn't hurt Lieberman!

I don't want to vote for any Republican, but since "people like me" don't appear to be wanted by the Democrats, I don't know what to do.

I doubt I will bother to vote this November, since I am the widow of "Joe Six Pack" and "a bitter older uneducated woman" as a Hillary supporter is portrayed by the media. The Democratic party has not stepped up, and Obama has never apologized for the Joe Six Pack remark.

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. Bishop

I'm glad that Sen. Clinton is going to run again...just right after Sen. Obama finishes his two terms. Imagine 16 years of Democrats...they'll need that long to fix Mr. Bush's quagmires....

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. David, Silver Spring, MD

The next time Hillary Clinton or any other woman runs for the highest office in the land, she will have a greater chance of succeeding if Barack Obama is elected President in November.

If Barack breaks through the barrier that has prevented anyone but a white male from becoming president, that barrier will be removed for all who come after. If Barack loses (perhaps because of disenchanted supporters of Hillary), the barrier will remain solid and will confront the next woman as strongly as it does today.

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  23. MC

After seeing how the fiscally managed her campaign, I dont want her anywhere near the helm of the country.

June 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  24. Babs

Since I no longer am registered with the Democratic Party, Nancy Pelosi can drool on anyway she likes about Hillary Clinton.

Nancy threw in with the rest of the Clinton backstabbers when she "endorsed" Barry.

I only wish that Hillary would have said screw you to the Democrats and asked McCain to make her his running mate. Now THAT ticket I would support.

June 24, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. Pappu

Nancy Pelosi should keep her Botox-ridden face shut! As a House Speaker, she took sides when she should not have. She has lost credibility.

Go Hillary!