June 24th, 2008

Clinton may run again, Pelosi says

Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.
Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.

(CNN) - Is Hillary Clinton done with presidential politics?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi doesn't appear to think so.

The California Democrat suggested Tuesday that the former Democratic presidential candidate may yet mount another run for the White House.

"I think her candidacy was a just a bright, bright moment for us and she may run again," Pelosi said at a breakfast with reporters organized by the Christian Science Monitor.

Pelosi also appeared hesitant to blame sexism on Clinton's loss to Sen. Barack Obama in the prolonged race for the party's presidential nomination. Clinton, along with several of her supporters, have suggested sexist attitudes among members of the media contributed to the New York senator's eventual loss.

Watch: Pelosi on the Obama effect

“Sen. Clinton has advanced the cause of women in government and her candidacy has been a very positive tonic for the country and had a very wholesome effect on the political process," Pelosi said. "I really don’t know, I haven’t analyzed and the rest, I’m a victim of sexism myself all the time, but I just think it goes with the territory, I don’t sit around to say, ‘but for that."

Pelosi largely stayed on the sidelines during the lengthy Democratic presidential race, though she angered many Clinton supporters earlier in the campaign season after stating the party's superdelegates should not vote against the pledged-delegate winner. Many supporters of the New York senator took those comments to be an implicit endorsement of Obama, given it was clear at the time he would finish ahead in that count.

Several Clinton supporters were also upset with Pelosi after she repeatedly stated Obama and Clinton should not team up on the same ticket.

"I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she told CNN’s Larry King in late April of a joint ticket. “First of all, the candidate, whoever he or she may be, should choose his or her own vice presidential candidate. I think that’s appropriate. That’s where you would see the comfort level, not only how to run but how to govern the country. And there’s plenty of talent to go around to draw upon for a good, strong ticket. I’m not one of those who thinks that that’s a good ticket.”

Watch: Pelosi says no to joint ticket

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. Ilona Proud Canadian

CALLING ALL YOU.... "WE LOVE YOU HILLARY".... AND ALL YOU....... "OBAMA BASHERS"

WHY OH WHY, IS HILLARY'S DEBT STILL OUTSTANDING? For crying out loud folks, with you, her 18 MILLION SUPPORTERS, it would take less than a $2.00 DONATION from each of her AVID SUPPORTERS who just simply REVERE her! I just cannot understand why her debt is still OUTSTANDING! I am sure that if Barack was in Hillary's debt position, BARACK'S SUPPORTERS WOULD HAVE RETIRED HIS DEBT with $MILLIONS LEFT OVER!

So get a move on PUMA PAC and other HILLARY SUPPORTERS! show your LOVE FOR HILLARY and RETIRE HER DEBT!

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. Matt

I keep looking at these comment pages on news stories here and all I've learned is this: If you want to read some of the dumbest comments on earth, visit CNN.

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Karen

I wish this person who keeps disguising his/her name to say everyone under the sun trashed Hillary would shut the heck up, or provide some real substantive examples of these stupid accusations!

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Peter Frederick

Hillary ran a tenacious race although more negative than her opponent as all polls agreed. But she still lost no matter what arrangement would have been givien in Florida and Michigan (which was revisited after the fact). They should have simply stuck to the rule everyone agreed to at the start and not count them (like the repubicans stuck to their own rule of half vote) and those who are dissapointed and hoping to destroy the party would not have anything to hang a hat on.

Rules agreed to from the start are the best – whether judged fair or not after the fact, because they have no consideration for who or can not be fitted to what has already happened.

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. Stevenster

Clinton is my Pres. for life! I hope she runs and wins so that all you haters can be left speechless.

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. jfs Memhis, Tn

NOT going to happen. Her loyal 18 million supporters DO NOT HAVE the kind of money that she needs to run. Its pretty bad when all these hugh number of people can not support their candidate ...but....well, with hot air and idle threats from the hip . BELIEVE ME if Obama does not win this election our country will be in such bad shape NO ONE, not even Ralph Nader ,will want to run.

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. Brandon Hillary Democrat for Mc Cain

Anything positive coming from Pelosi regarding Clinton is disgusting
    What a hypocrite. ...

I hope she is voted out as Speaker once Mc Cain is elected in November !!

PUMA.

June 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  8. Lee

All we see is how Hiliary was treated bad by fellow Democrats, but keep in mind she started the negative campaign against Obama instead of McSame. This was her downfall, not the MI and FL votes. Those votes should not have counted according to Hiliary at the beginning. Only after she realized she could not win without them, plus no campaigning was allowed in those states. How can those two states say they voted for the BEST candidate and they don't even know anything about the candidates. This is AMERICA, we try to do things RIGHT and FAIR. It was a fair decision, now let it go!

June 24, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. KE

Now the Dem and Repub and media all acting business as usual, they probably want to forget what happened. Sen. Clinton was running against the impossible because she was running against “racism”.

Sen. Obama said “They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?”

I don’t think we are afraid of him. But we are afraid what might happen to our democracy. He is young, but that’s not a problem. Sen. McCain’s age is also not a problem. He is inexperienced and that's a fact. But he does not have funny name.

At some point all the wrongs need to be corrected. Now New Hampshire where Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton finally show up together would be a good start. Hillary supporters should be there and ask both senators good questions.

June 24, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. eric

Hillary won that!!!! Its not fair at all what happened. She should be the next president

June 24, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Kim

It's so funny to read these blogs, I wonder how many of you are just here on this earth sucking up air!! What have you ever done for this country, what type of committment have you made to making life better for even 1 invididual, you find it easy to be nasty and divisive where Senator Clinton is concerned, A woman who has spent her entire adult life and even earlier working for the causes that affects the lives of others, a woman who is so intelligent that she could do anything that she litterally wanted to do in life, but chose to be a public servant, she could make millions at the drop of a hat, but she chose to make life easier for others, even if it is just 1 individual, what have you done in your lifetime to matter, if you leave this earth today who would care? who would greive for you and miss you other than maybe your own parents and family members if that? stop being so nasty and divisive and figure out how you can walk out your door and make life better for at least one other human being. What in the world kind of people are we going to be leaving this country to?

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Lynn

What a hypocrite? Trying to make amends with the 18 million Clinton supporters. It won't work. You should worry about your own job. What have you accomplish in these 4 years. Not much. I was so proud when you took over as Speaker of the House, but you have been a disappointment ever since.

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. hahaha

What a joke. "I don't sit around and mope about it" or somethng to those words. She never wanted Clinton in the first place. She was jealous to the hilt. I refuse to vote in this election. I think the media and all those republicans who voted for Obama wanted it this way, because know the dirt will be slung, and John McCain will be our next President. Mrs. Pelosi, I hope that you are soon replaced. You've always been a rat in sheeps clothing. Get my drift!!!

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Mac

After reading the pro-Hillary comments, I can see why she revealed herself to be mean, entitled, spiteful, and ready to blame anything and anyone for her own serious failings.

It's because her supporters are mean, entitled, spiteful, and ready to blame anything and anyone for Hillary's own serious failings....

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. Jimbo

I don't understand why you Hillary backers feel she was cheated by getting 'half votes" for Michigan and Florida. As I see it she was entitled to no votes since those states intentionaly violated the DNCs rules. It was Obama who was cheated by the DNC being too cowardly to stand up to the Clintons and honor the rules the states were told to follow. Obama deserves the nomination. He earned it.

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. ber6964

Yep. Shrillary will lose again, again and again.........

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. RHM

God, I hope Hillary runs. That way, she'll lose, and we'll never have to hear from her again.

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Larry

These comment boards are great

People don't realize how rediculous some of their thoughts look in writing

People don't realize how narrow they show themselves to be

Know your facts before you spill your guts in print

....... Better to sit in a room quietly with everyone thinking your stupid

....... Than to open your mouth, and prove it

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I still wish she would have taken Obama down. He is a TOTAL nut case, pandering, race-baiting, empty suit. My democratic party is in so much trouble thanks to this idiot. He makes Bush look like JFK.

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  20. Luckyj

Hillary sold herself out. Now she is asking for money.

June 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  21. Barr for real conservatives

Hi Operation Chaos Republicans! I'm a life-long Republican supporter and please make sure to vote for Bob Barr.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Don

i can not believe that anybody would be that stupid to vote for the big hill a second time. For the crap she pulled and said and for that matter her brain surgeon husband did and said it would take a complete moron to vote for her.

WOuld you want a person in the presidency that put herself $20 million in the hole begging for somebody to bail her butt out?? i dont think so!!! she needs to go back to Arkansas and get back into whitewater.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  23. Terry in El Paso, TX

Hilary would be a good choice for VP this year. In the future, I hope some other woman, without all the baggage, will emerge as a presidential candidate. I know that women want a woman in the White House, and so do I. Women are citizens with equal rights and they should have equal opportunity too.

I don't think, however, that a person will be a better president because of his or her gender. The women I have worked for have been very similar to the men in terms of leadership style, decisiveness, etc.

The women Senators, Governors, and Representatives certainly have not distinguished themselves as a group, though there are individual exceptions. The same thing can be said of men. I would not hire my Congressman (for whom I voted despite his incompetence) or my Senators (I voted against both the incompetent male and the incompetent female) to run a shoe store.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. NickNas

I have to say this and I really don't care about any backlash.

You people and you constant crying are VERY good entertainment. I'd LOVE to do a study on the people lives who are so ...well lets say......Obsessed with non-facts and seem to make up their own reality in spite of facts.

There are MILLIONS of us who are really enjoying what we see on this Blog and it is the talk of the Office. I am sorry to say though the topic is......."I DIDN'T KNOW PEOPLE WERE ACTUALLY SO STUPID!!" Not to be Harsh but it is TRUE! If you are not having this conversation with people YOU know then guess what???

That is all.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  25. lenny

she should have ran as a independent this time.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |