June 24th, 2008

Clinton may run again, Pelosi says

Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.
Pelosi says she thinks Clinton may run again.

(CNN) - Is Hillary Clinton done with presidential politics?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi doesn't appear to think so.

The California Democrat suggested Tuesday that the former Democratic presidential candidate may yet mount another run for the White House.

"I think her candidacy was a just a bright, bright moment for us and she may run again," Pelosi said at a breakfast with reporters organized by the Christian Science Monitor.

Pelosi also appeared hesitant to blame sexism on Clinton's loss to Sen. Barack Obama in the prolonged race for the party's presidential nomination. Clinton, along with several of her supporters, have suggested sexist attitudes among members of the media contributed to the New York senator's eventual loss.

Watch: Pelosi on the Obama effect

“Sen. Clinton has advanced the cause of women in government and her candidacy has been a very positive tonic for the country and had a very wholesome effect on the political process," Pelosi said. "I really don’t know, I haven’t analyzed and the rest, I’m a victim of sexism myself all the time, but I just think it goes with the territory, I don’t sit around to say, ‘but for that."

Pelosi largely stayed on the sidelines during the lengthy Democratic presidential race, though she angered many Clinton supporters earlier in the campaign season after stating the party's superdelegates should not vote against the pledged-delegate winner. Many supporters of the New York senator took those comments to be an implicit endorsement of Obama, given it was clear at the time he would finish ahead in that count.

Several Clinton supporters were also upset with Pelosi after she repeatedly stated Obama and Clinton should not team up on the same ticket.

"I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she told CNN’s Larry King in late April of a joint ticket. “First of all, the candidate, whoever he or she may be, should choose his or her own vice presidential candidate. I think that’s appropriate. That’s where you would see the comfort level, not only how to run but how to govern the country. And there’s plenty of talent to go around to draw upon for a good, strong ticket. I’m not one of those who thinks that that’s a good ticket.”

Watch: Pelosi says no to joint ticket

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. Jim

I swear to god I am an Obama supporter that would have gladly voted for HIllary but if Obama looses this election I will NOT be voting for HIllary, you angry Hillary supporters think you'll have the last laugh if Obama looses, watch it come right around full circle back to you guys, aspecially the women when Mccain overturns roe vs wade.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Carol, WI

OK, just two days back from vacation and the stories about Hillary are again dominating the news. How people can still claim sexism and media bias when she gets more stories than the current presidential candidates is beyond me. If it is now practice for ex-candidates to continue to get press, where are the stories on Romney, Huckabee, Edwards, etc?

BTW, PUMA PAC, don't get too excited about Pelosi's speculation, I won't be voting for Hillary if she were to run again. I have 'Clintonitis' and it is a chronic lifetime affliction.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Scott, Wichita

anyone notice that Peolosi has done more work for the Democratic Presidential campaign than she has done as Speaker of the House?

Which one is her job again?

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Republican Joe

I am a republican who is voting democratic this fall. I read these blogs and wonder how you democrats think that Hillary got a bad deal. I watched every debate and listened and watched every news program, and read alot of papers. The people voted and in states that had more delegates than other states, Hillary and Obama split the delegates based on the percentages and he received more than her. Neither had enough delegates so the superdelegates had to support a candidate which gave Obama the number needed. I didn't once hear Obama put down Hillary after she won the states she did, he congratulated her. So you democrats need to stop whining and support your candidate because we republicans don't have one.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Chut Pata

Now I regret sending my money. I thought once she has paid off her debts, she will call it quits. It appears she is going to haunt for a long time to come.

I shall contact American Express to see if I can take back my donation. I will rather send that money back to Obama.

June 24, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Sean

The only people who "selected and installed" Obama were the voters who gave him the delegate lead he needed to secure the nomination under Democratic Party rules. He is the nominee, and when his Presidential terms are finished, then Hillary can have hers. Best of both worlds.

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. tj

Pelosi is very jealous of Hillary because Hillary is a head above her.
    And now Pelosi occupies the higest rank position women ever did so she want to stay in this position.
    The way how DNC treated Hillary is unbelievable and Pelosi, Dean, Brazile take all responsibility for this.
    Their befavoir turned off millions of moderate democrats who dropped the party in favor of being independents.
    Bye-bye, DNC, hope you lose in November
    PUMA democrat

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Women In California For Obama

WE will be waiting to repay her supporters/PUMA members for their non support of OUR candidate. Remember HRC supporters – this is not a threat this is a promise. WE are taking IOU's to the 2012 election.

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. TM

The truth is only one person in resent times has been able to pull this feat off and it took the national reaction to the Vietnam War to do it.
    Richard Nixon.
    Can Hillary pull off a Richard Nixon? Does she want to?....

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. miyaki

Nancy, sweetie, isn't it a little too late for this? We all remember your antics during the primary, do you think we have a short term memory?

Why did you not speak about it then? You made no attempt to hide the fact that you were supporting Obama. Don't think you can hoodwink us.

Also, where is the low gas price you promised in 2006? '

We will remember you in 2008.

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. you hateful woman

They asked you to do the pummeling of Hillary so it would not look like sexism.

You willingly obliged. You did not care about fair campaigning and equality... just about giving Obama the nomination.

Now you don't remember striking the good lady?

You don't remember bullying Hillary into dropping out? Why not let Hillary exercise her right to take it to the convention- just like all the guys get to do?

Not sexism?

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. Steve

Hillary's time is over. She won't be back. Running as an independent would be political suicide, and she would be stonewalled by both parties going forward if she did that. She is, as they say, toast.

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. Herman in LA

Man, some of you people really, really, need to get a life...

June 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. Texas Thinker

I really think our focus should be on this election and not on others. I find it so strange to read these blogs and here of all the Hillary supporters and they say that she was so wronged so they are going to pay this country back for her being wronged. I may not agree with that thinking but if you all apply that thinking to your everyday lives (i've been wronged so I'm getting revenge) then I feel really sorry for the state of this country.

June 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Sheila

I, too, believe that the mainstream media definitely favored Obama. Unfortunately, this country just isn't ready for a female President, even though Sen. Clinton has all the experience and political savvy to lead our country. Somehow, we're willing to elect a naive and inexperienced man who has little to offer except a mantra of "change" over the exceptional persona Sen. Clinton presents.

Her demeanor, intellect, and humor make me proud to be in her company, as a woman, that is.

June 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. CA Eric

Okay guys, here's the deal. I love Hillary, and I wanted her to be the nominee, even had a bumper sticker. But anyone who says they would vote for McCain rather than Obama does not have a grasp on the global situation. Remember how no one was listening in the 90's and early 2000s about Global Warming? It was "just a heat wave" or "El Nino". Bush (who I voted for the first time) has run our nation & environmnet into the ground, and an old war hero, who wants to stay in the wrong country for "as long as it takes", will only show the world that America is as old and stubborn as its leadership. Obama is our Kennedy (those of us under 30) , the amazing man that stirred up the imagination and the hope of the younger generation. Kennedy has long been seen as one of this country's greatest leaders, and Obama will be just what we need as we continue into the 21st century.

June 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. Tori

I think she should run again. I think she learned a lot with this primary and it will benefit her if she decides to run again.

June 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  18. John

Its only sexism because HRC lost. There was no talk of sexism when she (and the press) had proclaimed herself the presumptive nominee in the months before the Iowa caucuses. She lost because she mismanaged her campaign. And instead of admitting that she lost fair and square, she blames sexism. Isn't this further reinforcing why she's not ready to be president? For the record I am 1000% in favor of a women president – just not THIS woman.

June 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. Rave

Hillary will run again and loose ... this time with $40 Million in Debt.
    Then Bill will divorce her.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Jack, CT

Hey Rob in Detroit. The dirty politics was started by the Obama campaign accusing everyone of being racist. Now they are doing the same thing to McCain with Obama telling supporters what McCain will say about him "don't forget he's a black guy." McCain never said this and Obama is already accusing McCain of racism. You people are pathetic and Obama will NEVER get my vote for the way he ran his campaign. He tried to portray himself as the "above the frey" candidate but all his surrogates and now him use the race card from the beginning and the media and the left wingers were so caught up in his hype that no one questioned him. Absolutely disgraceful. You, Pelosi and the media should all be ashamed of yourselves.

June 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. Sandra Pinto

I don't think that Hillary Clinton will or should run again. She was the front runner and lost to a complete outsider. What happened? Americans have had enough of the Clintons there are millions o people in that country. get fresh blood get fresh ideas get fresh beginnings and move forward

June 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. SHAME TO BE A WOMAN

NANCY PEOLSI YOU ARE SUCH A HYPOCRIT!
    YOU BACK STABBED THE ONE WOMAN WHO HAD THE CHANCE TO BE THE 1ST WOMAN PRESIDENT IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OUR HISTORY BY PUSHING HILLARY OFF THE RACE AND HAD YOUR WIND BAG MEN SELECT OBAMA

WE CANNOT FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT.
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET THAT.
    YOU SHOULD BE A SHAMED TO BE A WOMAN TODAY.
    Y
    OU WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY NOT AS THE 1ST WOMAN TO BE THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE BUT AS THE WOMAN WHO BACK STABBED THE WOMAN WHO HAD THE CHANCE TO BECOMING THE 1ST FEMALE PRESIDENT IN THIS COUNTRY – THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED AS

June 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. Jim

And to the republicans posing as Hillary supporters, don't think the Obama dems will let a republican win, if Hillary runs again if Obama looses this election, the Obama supporters won't let her win a primary, but a dem will still win the presidents chair, if Obama does win though then we know it was republicans all along and I won't have any bad feelings towards Hillary and would gladly support her next time, it all depends if she truly used the kitchen sink strategy or if it's just republicans that are crying and moaning.

June 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Turnabout is Fair Play

WE LOVE YOU HILLARY! June 24th, 2008 3:23 pm ET

HILLARY 2012 AFTER MCCAIN SPANKS OBAMA IN THE NATIONAL!
    -------------------------------–
    Give it a rest, try to THINK before you type brainless drivel; if Obama gets "SPANKED" in the general election and if it is perceived to be Hillary's fault (The repugnicans ARE using the crap she said against Obama in their attack ads already) then she will NOT win the nomination in 2012! Keep dreaming that things are going to go your way if you want, you and those who think like this will be RUDELY awakened when Obama's 18 million + voters remember what was done to him this year.

Obama/Sebelius or Webb '08!

June 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. Mary

Do anybody really care? I would think most people are concern about here and now.

June 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |