June 26th, 2008

McCain: If the election was tomorrow, GOP would lose

McCain said the GOP has a 'brand problem' Wednesday.
McCain said the GOP has a 'brand problem' Wednesday.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain said Wednesday that if the election were held tomorrow, Republicans would lose seats in the House and Senate because "we've got a brand problem."

"I don¹t think the American people think the Democrats are governing very well in the United States Senate and the House of Representatives. So it's not as if they are a shining example of good government," he said at a fundraiser in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The senator from Arizona said he's confident his party can come back and win with the "restoration of the trust and confidence of our base."

McCain brushed aside recent polls that show Sen. Barack Obama with a double-digit lead, pointing out that other surveys, such as a Gallup poll released Wednesday, show the race much closer.

"The first lesson I want you to draw is that people are really are not going to start focusing on the campaign until the conventions," he said.

With two months left until the party's conventions kick off, McCain suggested many people may forgo following politics and said instead are "going to try to enjoy the summer."

McCain said earlier this week that he¹s comfortable being the underdog.

"This is a tough race. We are behind; we are the underdog. That's what I like to be," he said at a fundraiser in Newport Beach, California.

Filed under: Congress • John McCain
  1. SHIRLEY-OHIO

Why would you say something like that, you should never go down in defeat unless you are actually defeated. McCain you know better than that.

June 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. rice, bryan

this is news. that's like saying "tonight it will be dark again"!!!!!!

June 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. nancy

With all due respect, the REBS deserve to lose. They have TRASHED our beloved country over the past 8 years.
    Now who would vote for people who have harmed our homeland!???

June 26, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Keith

Obama is going to wipe the floor with this clown come November.

June 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Donkey Party

So this is the way McCain's bi-partisinship works? By throwing the Democrats in the House and Senate under the bus, but not the Republicons? Where is his little lap dog Mitt to echo his every words?

June 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Slik Lizrd

Mr. McCain, I too, am a USNavy veteran, and appreciate your service to our nation as a warrior.
    And I also appreciate your service as a US Senator who lent a somewhat moderate voice against the extremist majority of your Republican colleagues.
    I will not be voting for you, however, and neither will my wife our any of our 3 daugters.
    You see, sir, despite your honerable intentions, we are left to wonder why we should vote for a man who was REJECTED by the Republican Party in 2000 in favor of the man who has turned out to be the absolute worst President in America's history.
    Your "brand problem" is apparently due to mis-labeling.
    Peace.
    Slik

June 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. INDEPENDENT ?

,” McCain said.
    ........I promise you as president of The United States I will always, always put my country first above party and above every other consideration. I have had the honor of doing that since I was 17 years old and entered the United States Naval Academy............I will think About it ......NO Romney!!!

June 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. HarshLight

I have a feeling it will not be close in the end, or end like you think.

June 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Mike

oh yeah that's what America is gonna do, not think about what a mess this country is and relax in the splender of summer. I think that is pretty telling just how arrogant McCain can be himself. He should watch out, considering the state of the economy, maybe sitting around and thinking about the elections is all many of us can afford to do this summer.

Obama's Father's Day speech was awesome!

June 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. Liz from Atlanta, GA

I don't want to have to cringe everytime the president speaks anymore. This is the MAIN reason I am voting Obama in November.

June 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |