June 26th, 2008

Rendell says it may be time for Bill Clinton to 'get over it'

Rendell says it may be time for Bill Clinton to move on.
Rendell says it may be time for Bill Clinton to move on.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, a longtime backer of both Bill and Hillary Clinton, said Thursday it's time for the former president to move on if he is still upset about his wife's loss to Barack Obama in the prolonged Democratic primary.

Rendell, whose ardent support of Clinton proved critical in her decisive Pennsylvania win in April, said he's not sure if Bill Clinton is still upset with the ultimate result, but made clear he thinks it’s time for the former president to rally behind the party's presumptive presidential nominee.

Watch: Rendell on Clinton's exit

"Bill's my friend. If that is true the way he feels, he's got to shake it off, get over it, get back in the game and help elect Senator Obama," Rendell said on MSNBC.

"Like everybody else, [he] has to listen to Hillary," Rendell also said. "And Hillary said it best - there's no sense in looking back and wasting any energy."

The former president has come under criticism for remaining conspicuously silent with regards to his support of Obama, even more than two weeks after his wife formally ended her campaign bid. Bill Clinton's office finally released a short statement earlier this week saying the former president is "is obviously committed to doing whatever he can and is asked to do to ensure Senator Obama is the next president of the United States."

But the former president, who was at times sharply critical of Obama during the campaign season, has yet to make any public declaration of support - which has fueled speculation he remains upset with the primary result. Bill Clinton, according to some reports, is specifically upset with Obama's criticisms of his administration over the course of the campaign and the media's treatment of his wife.

Watch: Obama, Clintons: Hard feelings?

But Obama said earlier this week he is confident both Clintons will be enthusiastic supporters as the general election campaign heats up.

“They’re going to want to campaign actively on behalf of the Democratic ticket,” he told CNN earlier this week. “I am going to need them.”

1. JustADude

Bill like all politicians will come around and support Obama. He has intrests no matter the outcome of the general elections.

June 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  2. Sherri

Bill Clinton disappointed me greatly and aliented a large chunk of the Democratic base who had stood up for him and supported him through his problems. I have supported him for years, but I saw a side of him during the Primary that I truly do not like. I think if President Clinton keeps a low profile in the background of all of this, it would be better for all concerned.

June 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. K

Why is Bill Clinton so "miffed"? Politics is a contact sport, remember? Don't complain about getting hit or dirtied up a bit, remember?

June 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  4. Mike

Going into this primary season, it was upto the Democrats to loose this fall in the general. Now, after the way the primary was handled by both Senators Clinton and Obama, I think that it may be there for the Republicans to win. Thank you Bill, Hill, and Barack.

June 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. Thanh

People need to cut Bill Clinton some slack. He probably took 10 years off his life campaigning for his wife. How many husbands in the US would do that, even considering his history?

June 26, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. Clare in Orlando

That's fine if he does not get over it. The race is over and he will not be in the White House running around and getting in trouble.

June 26, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Kaye - Jacksonville FL

Couldn't agree more – get over it, Bill. Maybe he thinks he can pull off yet another power trip by playing hard to get....it only reflects badly on him, again. He can influence lots of voters so he should put on his party face and get out there....imagine how upset he'll be if McCain actually wins this election (or maybe not – is he leading the Hillary '12 conspiracy??)

June 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Disappointed

Bill Clinton is right to feel the way he does.

Both Bill and Hillary are wrong to campaign for Obama.
    Hillary is whoring herself to Obama for cash to pay her campaign debt.

No one should put party above principles.

No one should sell out for a buck.

June 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. Another mama4obama

Gov. Rendell is right on the money.

I would also like to add that not only does he need to declare his support immediately but enthusiastically because that is the only way to repair the damage he and Hiliary has inflicted upon us (all Democratic supporters).

I was very disappointed in the Clintons and I look to seem them embrace Obama and make us proud of them once again but helping all Americans and yes, uniting us all (Black, White, Hispanic, Jew, Christian,Women, Men, Old & Young). We have got so much work to do people.

June 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. Geri

Isn't there more news than this. Clinton said he will back Obama and he will but lets get over this. Start writing about the issues of the candidates so people can understand which candidate they want to vote for in November. Lets quit bashing the Clintons and McCain and get down to substance. Everything on the ticker any more is all about Obama. Hes not president yet and I for one am really tired of him saying he mis spoke or someone is telling lies or taking things out of context. This needs to be a fair election not a one sided one.

June 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. minneapolis swingvoter

bill,
    "if you do not have anythinig nice to say, do not say anything at all."
    when you are ready to join and support the next president, we will be ready to accept your support.

Vote Obama/Kennedy (Caroline Kennedy) 2008.

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Kate

Enough already!!! People put Bill Clinton into a hole this election. He was doomed either way. Of course he supported his wife, and she deserves his support. Why does everyone say the Clintons are so entitled, yet everyone feels like Obama is entitled to everyones support. That is why we have elections, we have the right to CHOOSE for ourselves who is most qualified. You vote who you want, I vote who I want. It's called democracy. People don't change others opinions by throwing everyone under the bus, people are smarter than that.

I choose to vote Obama because Hillary is no longer in the running, not because he is entitled to it being a democrat but because I get to CHOOSE for whom I vote. As do you.

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. CYNTHIA

I am a Clinton supporter, who will vote in November for Obama. However, my vote is to support the Democratic Party so that we don't have a Republican in the White House. Bill Clinton is under no obligation to come out immediately in support of the Democratic candidate either. He will hear him speak up for Obama and he has the right to choose his own time. You people who have supported Obama from the beginning act like you own the bank. I don't feel I need to get over anything. You folks need to realize that without my support and that of others who vote for Obama come November, you will not even have him elected. It's the attitude of his staunch supporters who irk me and make me want to vote Republican. However, my principles in the Democratic process won't allow me to vote for McCain.

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. Peter

Give Bill till the end of June, then he should endorse

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. Roz, IL

ditto

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. TJ

Why should Bill Clinton campaign for Obama. Don't forget Obama and camp twisted some words and called Bill and Hillary racist.

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. JB

I am SO happy that the rest of our country has finally been made aware of what scumbags the Clintons are. They are both awful human beings. They do not care about anybody but themselves.

Hey Hill, explain to me why you are asking average citizens to pay off your debts? he average citizen makes $45,000 a year and has $10,000 in credit card debt. Last I checked you have 100 mil in the bank and can speak for 45 minuts and make more than most people make in year. That just shows you have no concept of right and wrong.

Rendell should be Obama's vp.

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. jrzshor

being characterized as a racist may make it hard to "get over".

and being all about change, why would you want to have "old politics" on your side?

June 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |