June 27th, 2008

Portman sidesteps VP questions

Is Portman being considered for VP?
Is Portman being considered for VP?

CINCINNATI, Ohio (CNN) - Former Ohio congressman Rob Portman said Thursday he wasn’t interested in being John McCain’s running mate, even if the Arizona senator called him to ask.

“Well, you know, I’m happy to be home,” he told CNN after McCain’s town hall meeting in Cincinnati yesterday. “I commuted between Washington and Ohio where we are now for 15 years, and about nine months, so I made the decision to come home and it’s been great. I’ve got three teenagers, so I’m not looking for a way back to Washington right now."

Watch: Portman explain why he would say no to being VP

Portman, who also served as United States Trade Representative and White House budget director, said he is open to helping McCain in other ways.

“I love public service,” he said. “I want to help him. I think he’s the right person to lead the country at this critical time, but I’m not interested in going back to D.C. right now.”

At a fundraiser in the Cincinnati suburbs Thursday night, McCain praised Portman, who was in attendance, as “one of the outstanding public servants in the next generation of leadership of our Republican party and our nation.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Obama for President

Another way of saying that it is a waste of time to contest the elections

June 27, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. JC in NJ

I would not want to run with the Republicans in this election either. Huckabee could help McCain a little bit but yeesh there is always that war stance...

June 27, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Let's see what Portman's answer if he is offer the VP position.....I will bet you that his interest is going to change.

June 27, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. Citizen

Man it is like rats off of a sinking ship. McCain is toast and all of the sensible Republicans, except Romney and Huckabee, know it.

June 27, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. Rave

You have to be a nut case to be running with NutCain.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 27, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  6. Enlightened Voter

Who the heck would want to run in a guarenteed losing election for the republicans?

June 27, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. DFoster

Who would want to be on this losers team?

June 27, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  8. Sharon Minnesota

Don't know him but probably because CNN has been caught up in reporting the Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton drama for so long.

"CNN the best political groupies for democrats on television"

June 27, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. Mike

You idiot Obama supporters would be able to hold an intelligent conversation about as well as NOBAMA speaks.

Go McCain!!

June 27, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. BK

Nobody wants to be Obama's VP either. They know he doesn't have any experience and he will break this country.

June 27, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. karen

I live in AZ and McBush is NOT even going to carry his own state!!!! He has done NOTHING for the citizens of AZ!!!! McBush and his stupid "pork barrel spending" got AZ NOTHING!!!! Believe me, we here in AZ will not even elect McBush dog catcher–thats insult to the dogs!

June 27, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. Herman in LA

Can't blame him...

June 27, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. Kenneth M

I hope he goes with Huckabee. Talk about bulging pockets on an empty suit.

June 27, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. Kenneth M

I am sure this is all part of Operation Chaos. It is designed to make us think we can fight amonst ourselves because McCain is having trouble finding a runningmate. You have to give it to Rush.!

June 27, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  15. NCLaw441

Citizen, if the election is a foregone conclusion I wonder why Obama turned down federal campaign funds he used to say he supported?

June 27, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  16. Foreign observer

Smart way to say no to Mc Cain.

June 27, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  17. bill in oklahoam

Who?

June 27, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  18. Hammerhead

Yeah, I'm not interested either. But that doesn't mean he was going to ask me.

June 27, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  19. Doc

Can you blame him? He doesn't want to hitch anchor to a sinking ship.

June 27, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  20. Glenn

Anyone accepting McShame's VP offer would have to have a "sacrificial lamb complex" in this GOP losing campaign. McCain's bid is just not as the underdog, but a complete "Goldwater" disaster. Sad!

June 27, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Greg. PA

Huckabee!

June 27, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. MAYBE !!!!

Michael Lorton, Virginia ..............Let's see what Portman's answer if he is offer the VP position…..I will bet you that his interest is going to change.? VP OR RUNNING MATE IS THE SAME........CINCINNATI, Ohio (CNN) — Former Ohio congressman Rob Portman said Thursday he wasn’t interested in being John McCain’s(running mate, )even if the Arizona senator called him to ask.

June 27, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  23. Coloradan for McCain

I think Mr. Portman is thinking like a family man, and I do believe he would help out McCain in any way possible. Thank you sir.

McCain 08

June 27, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  24. Obama/Hillary 08

If no one want the job give it to me. I live in Delaware my address is 2575 liberty street Wilmington,DE 19808 and my phone number is (302) 333-8649. I am unemploy and I can use that VP job to make some money to pay my college loans. I am a very good thinker a democrat that can bring good ideas to McCain and the republicans.

June 27, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  25. Beverly, NYC

Please, pretty please you can have weekends off !! The Republicans might have to offer a 30 million dollar prize to get someone to join this sinking ship

June 27, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |