June 27th, 2008

Portman sidesteps VP questions

Is Portman being considered for VP?
Is Portman being considered for VP?

CINCINNATI, Ohio (CNN) - Former Ohio congressman Rob Portman said Thursday he wasn’t interested in being John McCain’s running mate, even if the Arizona senator called him to ask.

“Well, you know, I’m happy to be home,” he told CNN after McCain’s town hall meeting in Cincinnati yesterday. “I commuted between Washington and Ohio where we are now for 15 years, and about nine months, so I made the decision to come home and it’s been great. I’ve got three teenagers, so I’m not looking for a way back to Washington right now."

Watch: Portman explain why he would say no to being VP

Portman, who also served as United States Trade Representative and White House budget director, said he is open to helping McCain in other ways.

“I love public service,” he said. “I want to help him. I think he’s the right person to lead the country at this critical time, but I’m not interested in going back to D.C. right now.”

At a fundraiser in the Cincinnati suburbs Thursday night, McCain praised Portman, who was in attendance, as “one of the outstanding public servants in the next generation of leadership of our Republican party and our nation.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. democrat in the white house

now it is McCain 's turn to get rejections,but I wonder do these people say no before they are asked,because they know they more than likely won't be asked.

June 27, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. independet OBAMA supporter

I would not want to run with the Republicans in this election.
    MCcain will loss so is better to say NO .

June 27, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Go Obama

Anyone voting for McInsane is a fool. Why?

Is it any wonder? Over 370,000 jobs lost since january, over 1.5 million homes in foreclosure, over 4,500 soldiers killed in a senseless war, the US is bankrupt, the world hates us, gas is at 4.23 a gallon, john mccain votes against womens equal pay bill, every GI bill, has never voted in favor of an energy bill, wants to drill on our coastlines, is secretly meeting with gay groups instead of in the open, flip flops daily………….

June 27, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Portman is a smart man, he'll help John McCain in other ways than a V.P. spot and save his chances for a better Republican candidate in the future. Republicans are running away from John McCain to save their own political future.

June 27, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. smile

he didn´t even take a picture with mc grief at the town hall meeting.....wonder why.......

June 27, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Randy - Denver

As an ex resident of Ohio I can tell you there is a reason he is an EX Ohio Congressman, putting him on the bill as VP would be a terrible idea.

June 27, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. Peter

If McBush chooses Portman who was with Bush....then McBush lost this election bigger than Mondale losing to Reagen

June 27, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. Ed

I have this uncanny feeling that Obama is just rehearsing and see if Senator Clinton will be comfortable and adapt to the idea of VP slot. I didn't like the way Hillary ran the primary campaign, BUT I HAVE FORGIVEN HER, and willing to see her as the VP.

I cringe to think of McCain as the next President. It will be a SAD day, knowing amogst other things,that some of our precious soldiers, still living, will die in a couple of months from now from his continued promotion of the war in Iraq.

WHO CARES ABOUT WHO IS Mccain's VP???????

June 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. Lloyd Bentson

I know Rob Portman

Rob Portman is a good freind of mine.

Senator, you are no Rob Portman.

June 27, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. Darth Vadik, CA

Who?

June 27, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. DanQuayle

How abot me, I deserve some recognition of the work I did in the past and the promise that i will work in the future..

Dan Quayle

June 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. BUSHED!!!!

CINCINNATI, Ohio (CNN) — Former Ohio congressman Rob Portman said Thursday he wasn’t interested in being John McCain’s running mate, even if the Arizona senator called him to ask..........a WISE MAN!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  13. Joe

even Mccains party doesnt want to work with him. People know how mccain is thats why everyone leaves him alone by himself and Bush. Mccain quit! Obama 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. Joe Regis

Some Republicans would rather fall behind Obama

than standing for the Republicans this fall.

The repubs are going down hill this year. It's pay back time.

Obama 08 & 12.

June 27, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. AH

as long as the "VP" is not Mitt Romney

June 27, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  16. thetachialumni07

no one really cares GOP.. you aren not going to win this election...NO WAY, NO HOW! no matter who you choose as VP. Only 5 messages on this post, over 100 for any post that has Obama's name in it....Figure it out GOP, stay out of the news and GET OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  17. McCain08

watched him on Hannity and colmes last night and i like him. McCain has some fine politicians surrounding him...

June 27, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  18. L

I just need to know why you all think this election has been won already. Remember Bush was always down in the polls and still won in 2004. Just dont count all your chickens yet. Obama has a lot of baggage and those independents are still undecided. Remember the Evangelicals are still on the fence too, you just need a few slips of the tounge (which obama is capable of doing) and its history for the DEMS.

June 27, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  19. MM

He would be a better choice than M Romney

June 27, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. MD FOR OBAMA

No one in their right mind will take the VP spot with McCreepers.

June 27, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. McCain Demorcrat 2

Juan McCain all the way!

June 27, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. MD FOR OBAMA

No one in their right mind will take the VP spot with McCreepers.

Oh I forgot, I bet Leiberman is biting his nails waiting for the call for the VP slot.

Leiberman(Independent for Israel) goooo big blue and white!

NOT!

June 27, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. USAF Staff Sergeant

I can't blame him. I wouldn't want to be McCain's VP either. To be McCain's VP means you will be the next president. I can't see him lasting through a full term.

June 27, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. Nova from NV

Obama falters under pressure ( just look at the debates). He is not really fit to run this country. When you think of these words,: inexperienced, naive, elitist, arrogant, only one candidate comes to mind. When selecting a VP, Obama would definitely need somebody with great credentials to shore up his inexperiences. John McCain on the other has many years of experiences on many matters, he's been on committees and members of bi-partisan groups. How can these idiots want to elect Obama on his rhetoric alone. If they think experiences do not count, they should get a pre-med student to work on their brain!

June 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  25. Bishop

Forget about side-stepping...I'd be Moonwalking away from that question!!!

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |