June 27th, 2008

Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama

Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama.

Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama.

(CNN) - The prolonged Democratic primary race had all the twists and turns of a Hollywood thriller, and at least one A-list actor is ready to portray Barack Obama on the big screen.

Speaking with MTV earlier this week, actor Will Smith said he'd enjoy playing the Illinois senator in an upcoming movie and noted the two share at least one feature in common: rather large ears.

"It's all right here," Smith joked as he pointed to his ears. "That's the key. That's the key. America loves ears, you know? Mickey Mouse started it; Goofy and Dumbo followed behind. And America just loves ears."

Earlier this year, Obama said he and Smith had discussed the possibility.

"Will and I have talked about this because he has the ears!" Obama said at an MTV/MySpace Presidential forum in February.

But Smith says he wouldn't sign onto a movie about Obama until the campaign outcome is clear.

"As soon as he writes the end of the story," Smith said of when he'd be willing to take up the role.

No word on which Hollywood actresses are interested in portraying Hillary Clinton.

1. Angela Frazier, Memphis TN

All ya'll haters need to step off and stop hating! This is an absolutely perrrfect idea! Besides, name me the president without vanity and I'll show you a poor leader!

June 27, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. Zeena

Meryll Steep should play Hillary Clinton..Only Meryl can portray Clinton's cunning political moves..Only she can show how a woman can be kind and just like any other woman in one hand and at the same time, look vicious, polarized and dangerous.

I'd love to see this movie...

June 27, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. Peter E

He certainly makes a better actor than Obama a politician.

June 27, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Joy

Alice in Florida, get over it....Obama will be the next president!

June 27, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. carolflowery

If he ever does, I sure hope he does a better job than when he tried to
    portray Mohammad Ali, that movie was a huge dissappointment to me. I dont know, I just dont see it for some reason. But, hey, hollywood is hollywood, you never know, it someone sees big money, well hey, it will happen.

June 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. Cindy P.

I can't believe this is news.

June 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Erik on Wall St.

CNN's Candy Crowley should play Hillary – the resemblance is striking!

June 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. FJB

Smith isn't that great of an actor. Why not a competent actor like Harry J. Lennix who resembles Obama greatly? He played Commander Lock in Matrix Reloaded.

June 27, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

corey June 27th, 2008 12:00 pm ET

jeez. he's already thinking about who's going to play him in the movies. Can we say vanity???

--------------------------

I nominate this one for most idiotic comment here. Did you bother to read the article? This is Will Smith coming out, of his own volition, to talk about this. This is NOT, I repeat NOT, the Obama campaign looking for an actor.

June 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. Brooke

Suddenly I've lost all respect for Will Smith. He wants to play a conniving, unprincipled run of the mill Chicago pol? I would have expected more than that.

June 27, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Scott, Wichita

If America loves ears, why didn't Ross Perot get elected?

(oh, and by the way, their ears ARE "ear-ily " similar.... horrible, I know, but it had to be done)

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. drsmarty08

Hillary Clinton = Meryl Streep

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. Obama-nation

George McGovern or Jimmy Carter should play Obama in a movie, since they already know the lines he's going to say and all of the tepid moves he'll make. Get ready for STAGFLATION and the MISERY INDEX. ...but at least he'll be "hopeful" about this "great" change.

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. scott

Just like Bill Clinton said this whole thing is a fairytale. Being President is not a movie script or great story it is the most important job in the world. Omaba does not have the experience and is wrong for the country in a time of war and economic trouble. We will not be able to tax our way out of this economy nor will sitting down with our enemies solve our problems. Muslim extremists could care less who is elected President.

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Obama!!!

Ed,

I agree totally!!! Annette Benning will be a wonderful actress to play Hillary Clinton. Annette is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. HB

Pleeeeeease.
    So we can make another crappy Will Smith movie. Only Liberals...

June 27, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  17. Sujith,NE

Milk/gallon – $4.00
    Gas/gallon – $4.30
    Obama and HRC together – Priceless !

Was a very nice picture of them together.Must say it touched me.If only things were different during the primaries, we could have seen a different caption.

Obama 08 !
    HRC – HHS in-charge !

June 27, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. David, Silver Spring, MD

I think Jack Nicholson could do a good turn as Hillary. He is a supporter of hers, after all. And I think he's got the laugh down.

As for Obama, I'd go with Don Cheadle and some ear prosthetics.

June 27, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. MattH

What has this got to do with the election?
    This belongs in the entertainment section, not the ticker.

June 27, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  20. independent

will smith is my favorite actor,and i have always thought he would make a good obama,in a movie.great actor,and obama is a great president.those too shallow to imagine barack as president,should probably find a new country to try and destroy.this one is not going there.

June 27, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |