June 29th, 2008

McAuliffe: Bill Clinton and Obama to talk within 48 hours

Bill Clinton and Barack Obama will talk soon, according to Terry McAuliffe.
Bill Clinton and Barack Obama will talk soon, according to Terry McAuliffe.

(CNN) - Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe assured CNN’s Candy Crowley that former President Bill Clinton and presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama will be discussing Clinton’s role in the campaign within the next two days.

“I believe that in the next 24 to 48 hours they will talk and off we will go,” McAuliffe stated on Sunday’s Late Edition.

Clinton has remained behind the scenes so far during the general election. He was not present at the Democratic event in Unity, New Hampshire on Friday and has only released a one-sentence statement saying that he will do whatever he can to help the Illinois senator win the election.

Many analysts have said that Clinton’s not-so-subtle absence from the campaign is because he is angry and bitter about his wife losing the nomination.

McAuliffe defended the former president, saying that he has been taking time to let his wife finish up her campaign and secure her relationship with Obama.

“She was the candidate, she got 18 million votes, she’s the political leader of the Clinton family now,” McAuliffe said.

Obama asked to talk to President Clinton on Friday and Hillary Clinton told him, “Absolutely,” according to McAuliffe.

Now that President Clinton is back from a five-nation tour during which he attended Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday party, McAuliffe predicts that they will be speaking shortly—but stressed that the attention should be on Hillary Clinton and Obama coming together.

1. RJ, CA

The suspense thickens - yeah, really! Bill Clinton was a great president, and he was brutally bashed by the ultra liberal media. Now, of course, as a "good Democrat," he has to pay "lip service" to his party. We understand, but we still don't buy into the corrupt DNC.

Now we vote for John McCain - NOT bought by a corrupt party! A genuine American hero and EXPERIENCED legislator and leader!

June 29, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  2. BOB

WHERE IS THE CHANGE!!!

June 29, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Lisa

Bill & Hillary 08!!!!!

June 29, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. seah

Oh God, there goes Bill

A talk with Obama One on One, they usually get the extra dose of Koolaide.

That nation will be under his mind control if he keeps going.

June 29, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  5. Nadine

Personally, if Bill & Hillary Clinton that darn angry that there will be no Clinton's in the white house, both of them need to get off the stage and stay off. No other presidential candidate has or had to endure the mess what Sen Obama is going through. It don't matter what measure of "experience" or length of politics, the people has voted. The Clintons don't own this nation, nor this earth. And if their ugliness by them and their supporters continues, remember this, What goes around, will come around. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander! Judgement is mine, saith the lord, "I will do the repaying".

June 29, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  6. sparkos

Why does this fool Obama need all this Clinton help to get elected. It is disgusting. He should be able to run his own campaign, take a stand on an issue and mean it and be his own man...every day he appears to need the Clintons more to tell him what to do...By his own admission in Unity N.H. he said "he needs them to win"...how incredulous is that! I have been a democrat for 40 years and never seen anything like this...it is truly disappointing. I will be reregistering Independent Monday as this candidate is unqualified and too weak. Maybe for the City dog catcher, but not the President of the United States. Bill Clinton was a great president.

June 29, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. MacMo

Now let's all go barack de vote!

June 29, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  8. Bayousara

"Some analysts say...."

I think "analysts" are responsible for much of the consternation surrounding this election.

I say to them, "Stifle it"

June 29, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. bob in LA

Thus is not the general election. His wife is most likely not going to be the nominee. Why should Bill be part of anything yet?
    Let Obam actually win the nomination, then worry about who is where.
    The press as usually , makes too much out of every move.

June 29, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  10. Rave

Yes, they should talk and I am sure he will support Obama in this race.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 29, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Nadine

After reading the books, "the final days" and "Hell to Pay", many of us wouldn't be so kind & giddy about the Clintons. These people are nothing but demons and have a problem with correction. Read the book folks, then you stop making a God out of those Clintons.

June 29, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  12. TRUTH

MY FAMILY ARE DEMOCRATS THAT VOTED FOR BILL CLINTON 2 TIMES, GORE, KERRY, BUT WILL NOT VOT obama. I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA ONLY IF HILARY IS ON THE TICKET, BUT MY FAMILY IS STILL McCAIN 08 HILARY CLINTON 12 , NO MATTER WHAT BILL CLNTON SAYS OR DOES. OPRAH DESTOYED THE DEMOCRATS.

June 29, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  13. MoTi

Big surprise. It's not an option. Mr. McAuliffe is a fantastic cheerleader for the party.

June 29, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  14. Jen, CA

In the end, poor Bill has to tow the old party line. But I don't have to - I will gladly, wholeheartedly, and with immense peace of mind - vote for John McCain. Because Obama, quite simply, is a bunch of NOTHINGNESS!

June 29, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. Jennifer

LOVE HILLARY!!
    LOVE BILL!!

and yes I will hold my nose and vote for Obama.

June 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  16. white people for Obama

What is wrong with Bill Clinton, he had such a good reputation as the "peace and Prosperity" president, now he has been reduced to a old crazy man. ANd Terry McAu-- whatever his name, is such a political HACK !!!!!! I really find him annoying, loudmouthed, liar and he has no integrity. Go away Terry!!

June 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Gary Chandler in Canada

Rate the importance of campaigning for Obama on a scale of 1 to 10.
    Hillary 8.5?
    Bill 5.5?
    Jimmy 3.5?
    Michelle priceless

June 29, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  18. mara

Is there a reason we are supposed to believe Terry McAuliffe, the new star of Fox News? The one who said that Fox News was the most "balanced" network? He hasn't looked straight in at least a month. He didn't even look sober at the all-star funeral. Remember? The one for Russert? After he had said that he would toast Tim Russert's father in heaven? When the man was still and is still living? Remember when he said that Hillary was still going straight to the White House? In June?

June 29, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  19. Debbie

Bill doesn't NEED to bow down to Obama! He slammed Bill every chance he got and the former PRESIDENT is suppose to let it go! Shame on Obama for not having respect for Bill Clinton!!!!!!!!

The only reason Obama should talk to President Clinton is to apologize for his politcs oh yeah,,,, he said he wasn't a politician! another lie.

Go Hillary and Go McCain

June 29, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  20. white people for Obama

TRUTH- You are not a true democrat what you are is a bitter person. How are you helping the democratic party. To tell you the truth I am very unimpressed with the way Hillary let the racism of her campaign supporters take over this election. She does not deserve to win. I guess it is okay to be racist but it is absolutely evil to be sexist. In reality both sexism & racism is not acceptable. OBama left his church on behalf of Hillary, he has given up his religion for her. What the hell else do people want from him?? DO you want him to bleach his skin and dye his hair blonde??

June 29, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  21. Katz

I think Bill Clinton is just standing aside while Senator Clinton and Senator Obama demonstrate unity. He will be on the scene when the time is appropriate. Go, Hillary! Go, Bill! Go, Barack! We are so blessed to have those three leaders among us.

June 29, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  22. Dolly

My husband and I will not be voting for Obama. We're not sheep to follow everyone else. We voted for Hillary in the primaries, because we thought she would really try to prove she could get things accomplished. The media and the DNC wanted Obama, We don't

June 29, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  23. Hate to break it to you

Great that everyone is getting on board including Bill. And if I get one more person talking about what the Clintons did for the AA. I'm an AA and hate to tell you, but they didn't do anything for me. They didn't pay for me to go to school, and even now I'm going back to further my education and don't see a check from them addressed to me. They didn't help me get a job, pay my mortgage or anything. And no, I didn't grow up on Well Fair, my mother worked 2 even 3 jobs to keep us out of the system, still had our own home and no child support. Anyways, I just want to say if they did so much, shouldn't the AA community be better off? I'll give them credit for the charities and other public services, but don't speak what you don't know. He was cool and great President at the time, but that goes for mostly everybody, not just the AA. And I don't owe the Clintons crap cause they didn't do anything for me. When they send me a check, then I'll start kissing a..! This doesn't in anyway mean I dislike them it's just the AA doesn't owe the Clintons anything. They didn't bring about civil rights, they may have been advocates, but they sure the hell didn't start it. And another thing..Bill skipped out of the country so he didn't have to go to Vietnam and still was a great President, so don't act like Obama wouldn't have good foreign policy. Matter of fact, Bush even had to go back to the the drawing table using the Clintons outfit on Korea.

June 29, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  24. Jan CA

I hope Terry McAulliffe has no place in Barack's campaign. He acts like there is something wrong with him. His behavior, like he's on medication or maybe needs to be, he definitely needs to get a grip on what is going on. That intro as Hillary the next Pres of U. S. right after Barack had enough votes/delegates & had announced he was the Dem nominee. I never could stand him during the campaign, the way he just blabbed on & on & on about the 18 million Clinton had. All I can say is "get lost Terry". Obama for Pres 08

June 29, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |