June 29th, 2008

McCain: Obama's word cannot be trusted

Sen. John McCain had harsh words for Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday.
Sen. John McCain had harsh words for Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday.

(CNN) - Hours after sparring with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama over immigration, Sen. John McCain told a fundraiser in Kentucky Saturday night, “Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted”.

The comment came at a private event in Louisville, as McCain criticized Obama for reversing positions on public financing and other issues.

The Republican candidate told the crowd, McCain said, “You know, this election is about trust, and trusting people’s word, and unfortunately apparently on several items, Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted.”

He was introduced by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who joked the two don’t always see eye to eye. In his comments, McCain said, “I take difficult positions sometimes. Mitch will tell you, I’m not elected Ms. Congeniality every year in the United States senate. But the fact is that I’ll keep my word to the American people and you can trust me.”

The charge came after Obama at the National Association of Latino Elected Officials accused McCain of backing down on immigration reform for political reasons.

He said, “One place where Senator McCain used to offer change was on immigration. He was a champion of comprehensive reform, and I admired him for it. But when he was running for his party's nomination, he walked away from that commitment and he's said he wouldn't even support his own legislation if it came up for a vote. We can't vacillate. We can't shift.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Jill

Typical CNN reporting and headline. Misleading headline, and no substance in the report itself.

June 29, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. Monte in PA

McCain, just face it your saying this to get attention. But no one is gonna vote for a 70 yr old who is gonna die in office 3 days after elected. You have flip-flopped on a variety of issues and even flip-flopped against your wife for Cindy. PA is a big swing state that will NEVER VOTE FOR YOU so give it up. President Obama has got this election in the bag!

June 29, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. Ed Coronado

Mr. Obama says he is about change. What that change will be is not clear. So far the only change we have seen is his ability to change his mind on promises he has made.

I expect McCain to change his mind and his stance, after all he is a
    politician and they are a shifty lot.

Mr Obama said he was not an insider but looking at his maneuvers
    to get votes he appears more and more like an insider and a shifty
    POLITICIAN.

In the end he will show us that he cannot be trusted and is just as
    slimy as those he apposes.

June 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. PCS / North Carolina

Tim wrote June 29th, 2008 11:19 am ET

"I am a proud democrat that resides in florida and will be voting for McCain come November. I have read some of the nastiest comments from Obama supportors. I dont want anything to do with the Democratic party at this time. "

You sound like the "Women Voice Women Vote" who will vote only for a women in DNC, but otherwise vote GOP. Go ahed and vote GOP and say good bye to U.S.A.

June 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Yikes!

Obama is an empty suit with a talking head on it.

June 29, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Ilona Proud Canadian

I believe McCain 100%!

I WILL keep my WORD to LOBBIESTS and SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS!

June 29, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Kristen

McCain must be senile...that or he has conveniently chosen to forget the number of times that he himself has changed stances. How could anyone ever trust a single word out of that psychotic old coot's mouth?

June 29, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. Jed

I agree with McCain. Obama is slick. For these other posters to claim that McCain cannot be trusted because he has changed his opinion on certain political matters misses the point. McCain means what he says and does what he says he's going to do. Obama is intentionally vague and is Bill Clinton-esq in the way he evades the dictionary definition of a lie. Thank you McCain for being strong enough to call out the Obama/Rezco platform.

Obama can fool some people sometimes, but he can't fool all the people all the time.

June 29, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. michelle

I am surprised how many of you are so blind. If Obama gets elected, this country will never be the same. I personally am not impressed by McCain, but at election time I will vote for him. I strongly believe that Obama is a FRAUD, and a MUSLIM, and he will bring this country down.

I am quoting from his book Audacity of hope:
    'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

these are his true intentions.

June 29, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. Timber

Thank you!! This country has been so "dumbed down" over the years that no one cares about talent, credentials, ability and substance. Everything is a popularity contest. Obama is the Sanjaya of the primary. He was the least talented and experienced but was nice looking and different looking and knew how to speak in front of a teleprompter and did his best to sound like MLK. The sheep ate it up and the media embraced it as they have embraced Brittany, Paris and Lindsey. The DNC saw the hype and encouraged it which gave it validation and leaving the the other more intelligent half of the party with nowhere to go but McCain.
    I fear for this country.

June 29, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. Neal

This form the guy who has been publicly censured by his peers for his involvement in the S&L scandal in the early 90s, which was lucky because he could've been impeached and/or prosecuted.

June 29, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. MM

I have no problem with Obama changing his mind about public financing. I agree with his decision. He should just, however, admit that in light of all the small donors to his campaign, that he is changing his mind. I have no problem with politicians changing their mind - just don't tell me that you didn't change it. McCain..... oh what to say about McCain. I really don't think the man has any integrity at all and that is what just makes me chuckle because he supposedly is running on a "character platform". His temper, his dealing with his first wife, his stupid comments about bomb bomb, are all indicative of his character - and they don't impress me. Obama, yes, he is a politician. Duh. And he is trying to win. Duh. And of course he is going to come more to the center as the campaign goes on. That's what is called compromise. He won't just represent one segment of society as president but many segments. So far, I am impressed but his attempt to keep to character and hope he keeps it up as he gets more emersed in dirty national politics. I'll be hoping that he will make a change in Washington, because God knows we need to do something different.

June 29, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. robert

A favorite ploy of the Republican Party. This tends to happen in every election, and with every Democratic candidate. The trick is, to get the Democratic candidate labeled as "fence sitter" or "wishy washy" or other similar terminologies, by impressing upon the public the Democrat candidate can't stick to a decision. The strategy is old, tired and worn out, and clearly shows how desperate McCain has become. Obama should counter by defining McCain as "same old politics, same old Washington" or similar.

June 29, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  14. Josh

what a d-bag. you can't align yourself with the economic and foreign policy of king george and support a war that was solely based on lies to the american people and then say that the honest democrat who decided not to take public financing is a huge liar. it doesn't work that way mccain.

June 29, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  15. hadbutod

it has been a free long ride for mccain. it has been politics for him all the time. he has used to the fullest his vietnam fluke. he has over exploited it.how many true vietnam vets who have just kept quite and went on with their lives. but not with mccain, he made a killing of his so called viet war experience.now he's running for u.s. pres. no way , he can fool the amer people. he ought now to thank the people for its generosity to him for so long a time. to be fair, what vet war experience is it for him to be brag about. he was never engaged in the vet war.he fought in the air. it would have been much different if he was with the army or marines. he even made it difficult for the u.s. at the time by becoming a hostage. he was at his worst by being stupid or at not making evasive steps so his plane wont be hit by a missile. this in effect reflect bad judgement.

June 29, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

Obama has been lying from Day One. He is greedy beyond measure, not satisfied with the 1/4 billion he already raised among the Hitler Youth who follow him like a guru.

He lied when he promised to work with only federal campaign funds because of his personal greed that apparently knows no bounds.

He lied when he said he would immediately withdraw from Iraq. Now he says, "gradual withdrawal."

He makes Hillary Clinton look like a skin-flint. You can have him. I'll take honor and experience over greed and prepared speeches any day of the week.

June 29, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. ree not for obama

Tim you said it all. I am a democrat that resides in NY and I will be voting for Sen. McCain.

The only reason the DNC went for Obama is because he had the money, if Sen Clinton had the money they would have back her.

Obama reminds me so much of Bush. His attitude, buying the election, makes a good speech, and no experience. With Obama we will have four more years of Bush.

Also, how can I vote for someone who has the nastiest supporters that have no respect for people who have done more for their country then the Obama's have?

June 29, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  18. Robert

Its easy to see why so many "Americans" (and I use that term loosely) are so "goo-goo-eyed" for Obama. Look at what they have been watching on TV for the past 10 years - American Idol, Desperate Housewives, Survivor, and all the endless stupid clones. We have become hypnotized by the slick young looking "idol" who sounds so eloquent and promises us health and wealth, but says absolutely nothing of importance – the modern day sophists.

June 29, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  19. Marty FL

While I respect McCain's service, someone could pose the same question of trustworthiness after McCain switched positions to adopt the policies of George Bush. For instance, John has reversed his stances on tax cuts for the wealthy during a time of war, drilling, agents of intolerance, torture, immigration, and more.

Did anyone else notice McCain does not look happy in that photo?

June 29, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  20. trustmefromtexas

Bizarre to have a discussion about which politician to trust. Their goal is to be our elected president, by repositioning, rebranding and changing position.

In my opinion you can only trust their past behavior.

June 29, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  21. Asian4Hillary

Senator McCain, you're correct, NOBAMA CANNOT BE TRUSTED; that's why this November YOU are getting my vote. At least, with YOU our country will be safe.

McCain is a MODERATE REPUBLICAN, he will definitely get my vote because I TRUST HIM.

I'M AMERICAN FIRST!!!!

I don't care about party affiliation anymore, the DNC made it KNOWN my vote was INVALID, they've SELECTED NOBAMA, they can have him.

PUMA

June 29, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  22. zorba

michelle, you silly wench. You have taken that quote completely out of context. If you believe Obama is a Muslim, you are an IGNORANT silly wench. Get an education, girl.

June 29, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. randy

The funny side of macain speechies is that he have flip floped more than any candidates runing for presidential seat in history of american politics.just in this past few months he have flip floped more that 10 times, 1 on offsore drillin 2 on keeping our solders in iraq for 100yrs now he changed his mind and said 2013
    3 political financial reform he accused obama of flip floping on that issue while john him salf flip floped on that issue too.i can go on and on.

June 29, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. Alex

People still make those Muslim comments about obama. You know I heard he is a Marsian... yep a marsian..

June 29, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Larry Clifton

If Obama is elected, you will see a major break down in the US economy. With the Democrats in charge of both houses, we see where we are. A hard left president who will not reveal his intentions, and who considered the Right Reverend Wright his mentor and spiritual guide until we saw video from some of his work, will fell our economy and put the country in an economic and social tailspin.
    Even you progressives, liberals, or what ever you call yourselves today had better think before you vote this time.

June 29, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |