June 29th, 2008

McCain: Obama's word cannot be trusted

Sen. John McCain had harsh words for Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday.
Sen. John McCain had harsh words for Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday.

(CNN) - Hours after sparring with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama over immigration, Sen. John McCain told a fundraiser in Kentucky Saturday night, “Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted”.

The comment came at a private event in Louisville, as McCain criticized Obama for reversing positions on public financing and other issues.

The Republican candidate told the crowd, McCain said, “You know, this election is about trust, and trusting people’s word, and unfortunately apparently on several items, Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted.”

He was introduced by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who joked the two don’t always see eye to eye. In his comments, McCain said, “I take difficult positions sometimes. Mitch will tell you, I’m not elected Ms. Congeniality every year in the United States senate. But the fact is that I’ll keep my word to the American people and you can trust me.”

The charge came after Obama at the National Association of Latino Elected Officials accused McCain of backing down on immigration reform for political reasons.

He said, “One place where Senator McCain used to offer change was on immigration. He was a champion of comprehensive reform, and I admired him for it. But when he was running for his party's nomination, he walked away from that commitment and he's said he wouldn't even support his own legislation if it came up for a vote. We can't vacillate. We can't shift.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Kekkler

Get your facts straight, Jason. You asked how many people have refused public financing before. The answer is none, at least in a Presidential general election. Obama is the first person since the program's inception to refuse it. This after he promised not to.

This is why Obama cannot be trusted: he will say whatever is expedient at the time. He was all for public financing when his candidacy was just starting, and his prospects were dim. Now that he's sitting on potentially half a billion dollars, he's decided that position was incorrect.

He's one of two things: a fraud or a fool. Which is it? There are no other options. If he knew at the time he said it that he would turn down public financing if he was offered enough money, he's a fraud. If he didn't think far enough into the future to contemplate winning the nomination and being in a position to raise lots of money, he's a fool. In either event, he isn't somebody I want elected.

June 29, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. Kevin

I will be proudly voting for McCain. Not to get him into office, but to keep this far left liberal Obama out of office. Go look at Obama's voting record. He does not serve his constituents and he will not serve you.

June 29, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  3. hadbutod

it has been a free long ride for mccain. it has been politics for him all the time. he has used to the fullest his vietnam fluke. he has over exploited it.how many true vietnam vets who have just kept quite and went on with their lives. but not with mccain, he made a killing of his so called viet war experience.now he's running for u.s. pres. no way , he can fool the amer people. he ought now to thank the people for its generosity to him for so long a time. to be fair, what vet war experience is it for him to be brag about. he was never engaged in the vet war.he fought in the air. it would have been much different if he was with the army or marines. he even made it difficult for the u.s. at the time by becoming a hostage. he was at his worst by being stupid or at not making evasive steps so his plane wont be hit by a missile. this in effect reflect bad judgement. slimy mccain started his political life out of this so called war expolit. People, "CHECK HIM OUT" .

June 29, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  4. James

Impeach McCain now!

June 29, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. that1guy

You bloody fools. McSame is a retired flag-grade military officer of the post-WW2 generation, which means that he will say and do anything his superiors want in order to advance himself. Sad but true, and not exactly a secret to anyone who's spent a day in uniform (esp. us enlisted folk). Right now they've told him to go on the attack using any frivolous argument he can conjure up.

"michelle"...really nice flashing the Muslim boogeyman against Obama. My father was raised as a Muslim (Bosnian), I was raised Catholic, by my Irish mother and served for 26 years in the US Air Force. Oddly enough, I have never had a sudden urge to strap bombs on myself, hijack a plane, or even decline a second helping of bacon. What's your point besides prejudice?

June 29, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. john mccain for president

I promise some of you people have the IQ of a five year old. These comments are horribly ignorant. Its funny to say John McCain can't be trusted, funny. A proven patriot can't be trusted. Well if you idiots think Senator McCain can't be trusted, god help America!!!! As far as Obama, the guy gave is WORD! What ever happened to the belief that a man is only as good as his word!!!!! It seems that left wing liberals will be the destruction of this country along with the far far far right conservatives! IDIOTS. Go John McCain!

June 29, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. Mar

Where has the real John McCain gone? I find it pretty sad to call someone else untrustworthy when you have changed your stand on so many issues. I think the preprimary John McCain was more believeable. As time goes on, I feel more and more like McCain has become a puppet for the Republican Party and no longer a voice in his own right. Sometimes he comes out with things and I just say....Huh? It is like the Republican Party is standing over him like puppetmasters, manipulating the strings so he says this or does this depending on what political hot spot the voters want answers on. Every once in a while he says something that actually sounds like John McCaine and you can tell the difference. It is going to be very interesting to see how he actually stands on his own when he has to begin debating one on one with Obama. Where HAS the real John McCain gone?

June 29, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. FL Dem

We're supposed to trust the word of a Republican over Obama? Do the initials "WMD" mean anything to anyone???

June 29, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. E in MD

So, we're supposed to trust the word of the man who said originally on drilling in ANWR:

“I believe the amount of energy that could be recovered from that area is not that impactful and I certainly wouldn’t want to see another Exxon Valdez situation.” – December 8th 2007

and in May of 08 said:
    “…I don’t see an immediate relief. But I do see that exploitation of existing reserves that may exist and in the view of many experts that do exist off our coast is also a way that we need to provide relief. Even though it may take some years the fact that we are exploiting those reserves will have a psychological impact that I think is beneficial.”

Then in June of 2008 said:
    “Providing additional incentives for states to permit exploration off their coast would be very helpful in the short term in resolving our energy crisis.”

McCain can't even be trusted to have the same message a mere three weeks later how are we supposed to trust his word. The guy's a serial flip-flopper.

June 29, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  10. Open-minded citizen for Obama

what is with these posts by people from florida claiming to be democrats who are going to vote for mccain? do you realize your state has succesfully screwed over the entire country and now you want to do it again?!? and then there's this post from michelle:

"I am surprised how many of you are so blind. If Obama gets elected, this country will never be the same. I personally am not impressed by McCain, but at election time I will vote for him. I strongly believe that Obama is a FRAUD, and a MUSLIM, and he will bring this country down"

WOW, really? do people actually think like this? do your religous beliefs entail distrust of anyone who doesn't share those exact same beliefs? i am shocked and saddened when i see posts like this. we're commenting on political matters and someone has spew their religious hate. shocking that this most often comes from the right

June 29, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  11. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

as an Obama supporter, I'm not happy with some of the postions he has taken in the last few weeks(i.e.-support for the spying bill) but McCain has no room to talk. He has sold out every sane postion he had before.

Ok, he still supports some green technology and action, but everything else he has flushed down the toilet.

June 29, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. Puzzled

McCain is absolutely. Like Bill Clinton, Obama is, as stated by former Senator Bob Kerrey, "an uncommonly good liar."

June 29, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. Hanky

I am a democrat, but these accusations from both parties remind me of children tattling on each other. I believe Obama to be the better candidate, though, because through all the fogginess, he offers the best solution to help America. McCain seems to have no real stable campaign plan and he is acting like a typical politician who will change positions to make certain constituents happy.
    Obama's public finance snub was not a flip-flop. He did not say I WILL UNEQUIVOCALLY TAKE PUBLIC MONEY. He said: he would "aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election." That does not constitute an iron-clad decision to take public money. We need to stop taking things out of context to fit our ideology.

I am a moderate democrat, agreeing with republicans on some issues and democrats on others. I remain objective and am not a punditite or Fox News Disciple or Completely hoodwinked by MSNBC. I remain an indepedent thinker and not a zealot.

June 29, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. TommyD

Obama's a clown with a script. Nothing more.

June 29, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. so much for respect- Ventura ca

McSame said that he would run a respectful and impersonal campaign. This shows he's a man of his word as he was when he was against offshore drilling and torture.
    This election is a definite CHOICE! GO AWAY Greedy Oil Party!

June 29, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. tim

I am discouraged at the comments left by the un-informed public attacking McCain here.

Please go to factcheck.org and get educated before attacking someone who has done so much for our country.

Obama will say / do anything to win; just like he did in Chicago to win the Senate seat.

Educate yourselves America.

June 29, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. IMMIGRATION

McCain is the one who changed his position on immigration to become the republican nominee.

June 29, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. Brian from VA

I find it mildly entertaining, and totally transparent, that someone is seeding this site with the imaginary offended Hillary supporters that intend to vote for McCain. While the legend has been out there for a couple of weeks, the reality has failed to materialize except as innuendo and whisper campaigns. The entries for Dave and Clinton/McCain above are about as real and likely as McCain voting for Obama!

This election will likely see far more Republicans voting for Obama than Democrats voting for McCain.

June 29, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. 5

OBAMA lies

Have fun being misled you blind followers

June 29, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  20. Jim

Notice how old McCain is looking. I don't think he is flip-flopping, he just can't remember from day to day. He has used his past prisoner of war status to the hilt. He needs to step up and live in the present and put realistic policies together for the future.

What happened to his running the good campaign while saying Obama can't be trusted. McCain doesn't seem to be getting any traction out of "tax and spend" and war paranoia issues so back to the old ugly ones. Finally the voters are waking up to these hackneyed Republican tactics. Flying dirt doesn't seem to work as well for them as it used to.

I will have to say something for him, however, he doesn't seem to like pandering to the religious right. I did like his insinuation that W. was a president that wanted to be king.

June 29, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  21. Bill

Presidents need to change their policy. . As time goes by, more information/different perspectives become apparent. I would not want a president to decide now what he is going to do a year from now and stick with it, without question.

While I don’t agree with some of Obama’s policy changes, they seem somewhat intelligent. I do agree with most of Obama’s plans.

McCain, on the other hand, seems like he just can't remember what he said the other day. I don’t believe McCain has a plan.

June 29, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  22. McCain=Same Old Thing

Then why is he ahead in most of the polls. No, it's John McSame's word that can't be trusted. Good try though, John. It won't work, but good try.

June 29, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. Liam O Brien

Jed, Michelle, Timber.

I believe McCain is a clone from the Bush Cheney gang. On war McCain said the US will stay in IRAQ 100 years if necessary.
    Please explain the sense and logic in his remark.

So far this war in IRAQ which we started by attacking them. have cost the US tax payer close to One trillion dollars and tens thousands of maimed U American soldiers . Who will meed medical care for rhe rest of thier lives.

Not forgetting the 4000+ dead US troops. Do u know how many IRAQIi's we have killed, soldiers , civiliand including old people , women and children . Well do U ?

If McCain is elected then our country better be ready for new wars and a continuation of the war in IRAQ.

I cannot see OBAMA doing something worse to our great country , than the Bush Cheney gang , but I can with McCain.

LIam

June 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  24. DM, Arlington TX

McCain, flip flop on every issue that even matter if he could stay out the senior citizen club log enough to actually work.

This fool has never took care of Veterans , he used Veteran and the prison camp as a stepping stone..

If he 100% disable vet how can he work full time?

They are a lot of 100% homeless vet that could really use the money.....

June 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  25. that1guy

Larry Clifton: "If Obama is elected, you will see a major break down in the US economy."

You mean like the one we're going through right now that Obama is going to have to fix? Good grief. Best start pushing your pickup truck on home, Larry, 'cause if McSame gets in gas definitely ain't gonna get any cheaper.

June 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |