June 29th, 2008

McCain: Obama's word cannot be trusted

Sen. John McCain had harsh words for Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday.
Sen. John McCain had harsh words for Sen. Barack Obama on Saturday.

(CNN) - Hours after sparring with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama over immigration, Sen. John McCain told a fundraiser in Kentucky Saturday night, “Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted”.

The comment came at a private event in Louisville, as McCain criticized Obama for reversing positions on public financing and other issues.

The Republican candidate told the crowd, McCain said, “You know, this election is about trust, and trusting people’s word, and unfortunately apparently on several items, Senator Obama’s word cannot be trusted.”

He was introduced by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who joked the two don’t always see eye to eye. In his comments, McCain said, “I take difficult positions sometimes. Mitch will tell you, I’m not elected Ms. Congeniality every year in the United States senate. But the fact is that I’ll keep my word to the American people and you can trust me.”

The charge came after Obama at the National Association of Latino Elected Officials accused McCain of backing down on immigration reform for political reasons.

He said, “One place where Senator McCain used to offer change was on immigration. He was a champion of comprehensive reform, and I admired him for it. But when he was running for his party's nomination, he walked away from that commitment and he's said he wouldn't even support his own legislation if it came up for a vote. We can't vacillate. We can't shift.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Ian M

Ha! And we can trust McCain, who has flip-flopped on

Oil drilling
    Comprehensive immigration reform
    Roe v Wade
    Ethanol
    Falwell/Robertson
    Bush tax cuts
    Torture at Guantanamo

June 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. Karen

McBush is alier, a cheat and a womanizer. After I found out what hw did to his first wife it was all over!!!! He should have gone to jail with Charlie Keating anf his wife should have gone to jail for drug steal from a foundation she was volunteering for. BUT NO they have sooooo much money thet get off scot free!! Obama has morals, the truth and at least he is trying to change Washington and the lobbiests!!
    We need to turn the USA over to young people and not still be fighting the Vietnam war. I'm 64 and its time to retire!!!

June 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  3. Raphael

Ms. Michelle the "teacher" from Georgia

So you are a teacher or subtitute teacher? I hope you dont teach social sciences or History... At the very least I would expect of a teacher to promote a more critical understanding of the issues and its underlining causes. You are at best uninformed and at worst a neoconxenophobe If you think inmigration is the cause why our government and country is in the shape it is then no wonder republicans have been able to remain in power with the support of people such as you.

June 29, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. maurice

You can say what you want but when 95% of the
    African American people vote for Obama thats not
    right.People need to open their eyes.

June 29, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. California Voter

More importantly for me is that Obama has never given an answer as to why he and Michelle attended a black liberation church for 20 years where a pastor spoke words of hate and racism and never were bothered by it. Are we to believe the "new" Obama who no longer attends that church or are we to believe the Obama who supported that church and his pastor for 20 years????

June 29, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. mara

obama can't be trusted, but mccain can? right. that's why a man who spent the past ten years working against special interests has a campaign run by one of the biggest lobbyists in washington – and why he's paying more than 100 lobbyists to work for him. mccain is the one who cannot be trusted – he wrote a loophole into his campaign reform bill so that private FAMILY jets can be used for campaign travel. how many people do you know personally who have their own private FAMILY jet?

mccain spent his entire career distancing himself to the christian right, only to sell himself to the christian right when he decided to win at any cost – including personal integrity. i'd vote for mccain if john mccain was still around – unfortunately he's gone missing, and he's not coming back.

June 29, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. McCainSptr

blah blah blah, Goofball refusing to put his hand over his heart for the National Anthem, that spells disaster. I don't care what shinanigans McCain has done, He is truly an American. He doesn't flake out. I want a President who is loyal to my country. Think about it people, don't be blinded by the word, "change". and be careful with what you wish for. Burak Hussain Obama cannot be trusted. It's pretty scary how many people he has decieved. Open your eyes people!

June 29, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

I don't trust Bush, therefore I don't trust McCain.

June 29, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. mike obama

Obama will change the standing of USA in the world. Accoding to Audacity of Hope

I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction-Barak Hussein Obama.

He doesnt talk of his upbringing for ten years by his stepfather. He talks about being raised by his white grandparents in Kansas. Has he threw his stepfather under the bus just like his abondoned biological father.

Americans especially the youth with little politcal knowledge wake up before the rug is pulled from under your feet.

June 29, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. Kaci

Shame on you, John McCain. You have flip-flopped more that a newly caught fish on the deck of a boat. You appear to be willing to say ande do anything. Sir, there is no honor in disparaging Mr. Obama. He has been clear and concise. You on the other had seem to be losing your bearings and you simply have no plan for the American people. Shame on you, for misleading the American people. You certainly will not get my vote. YOU HAVE NO HONOR and seem to surround yourself with surrogates who have none either.

June 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. RasD, toronto

McCain is going down the drain. (cant wait to see both in a townhall meeting) :-D

June 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. Doc Sinn

Michelle wrote:
    "I am surprised how many of you are so blind. If Obama gets elected, this country will never be the same. I personally am not impressed by McCain, but at election time I will vote for him. I strongly believe that Obama is a FRAUD, and a MUSLIM, and he will bring this country down" "

What happened to freedom of religion in America? Even though its been proven by a legion of sources that Barack Obama is in fact NOT a Muslim, my question to you is.....

Why should it matter? Arent we free? Isnt this America? I'm tired of people like you telling me how to think and who to pray to. Meanwhile Im paying $5 for gasoline.

Get your priorties in order dear. That is all.

June 29, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  13. TheNumantine

Very unPresidential of you, Johnny.

1st you call a former President "lousy." Now you're saying the next President of the US can't be trusted.

I don't know why AZ keeps sending you back to the Senate. Perhaps, they just want to keep you out of the State.

June 29, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  14. mara

and don't let me even commence on cindy – who didn't do a day's time in jail for STEALING drugs from a non-profit and whose own father – where all that wealth and that personal jet comes from – was a convicted felon and worked in the booze and gamblling (horsetrack) industry? this sleeze is what I want as a first lady? to represent my country? to serve as a model for my daughter? look it up. it's documented public information.

June 29, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  15. bill for barack

and it takes one to know one ??????????????

June 29, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  16. r lee

was obama born in hawaie or just before he reached american shores?

June 29, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. McCainSptr

Change = Tax and Spend, Tax and Spend. More taxes, more government. Liberals wanting gays to marry, abortions...etc. Liberal minded godless people think about it, we have not been attacked becasue we have a President now that won't take any crap from Iraq, Osama, terrorists. Mark my word, as soon as the Liberals are back in, disaster will strike. Because of the weakmindedness of a President that wants to 'talk' through things. We need to STOP these terrorists, not talk to them.

June 29, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. mollygonz

Oh and yours can McSame?? Who do you think we are...idiots? Like we're going to believe the words of the biggest flip flopper in recent history. Good luck. I love how people say educate yourselves..yeah, that's why I'm voting for Obama. Duh!

June 29, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  19. Unmoderated

I think it is rather telling how many of the Obama supporters in this list are engaging in Name-calling, giving John McCain the monicker "Mcsame", "McWar" or Senator Has-Been. I think they would be surprised and a bit taken aback if they compared Obama's platform to the communist manifesto, and discovered exactly how closely they coincide. However, I am willing to bet that they aren't willing to take the time to really understand the issues that will affect them in the very real and near future. I doubt that they will take the time to review Obama's very left wing voting record, or to understand that they have been "Hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led Astray! Run Amok!"

June 29, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  20. Mike

as I sit here and read these comments were people are taking one side or the other ..and in all seriousness neither of these candidates will be able to effect change in the way our government /society operates .
    we are a country based upon profit/greed those who control the politics are those who control the money and in our country thats 2% of the population...
    and those people care nothing about you or I
    I wont support any politician who puts the interests of greed above the American people ...
    we spend billions of taxpayers money on support systems of non Americans read the post from the teacher ..we spend billions of tax payers money on trying to fix problems in other country's while our own is falling apart .
    I say our elected officials should put America first by becoming independent of foreign oil, meat, grain ,steel, workers ..yes we import cheep labor thus costing real Americans jobs ...

America doesn't need to import anything we have everything right here ..we spend billions of tax payers money to pay farmers /dairymen not to grow food that has to stop ..those millions of corpert owned land should be producing at max lv`s the extra grains can be made into renewable energy resources ..

If a foreign business wants to sell their products in America then those products need to be made in America by American workers

Our dollar is dropping against most other industrial country's ...we have high unemployment ....execpt in the illegal immigrant population who work for less money .....thus providing more profit for that 2% at the top..

Greed is slowly killing out country and until we take that out of our government decision making we the American people will see no change

June 29, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. Roy

Yeah, you can trust McCain to push for campaign finance reform...until he decides that he needs to pander to the religious right and backs down. You can trust him to be a fiscal conservative...until he knuckles under to President Bush on the tax cuts that McCain had correctly said we couldn't afford. You can trust him, above all, to be against official sanctioning of torture...until he flip-flops on that of all issues.

The only thing you can trust McCain to do at this point is say whatever it takes to get elected.

June 29, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  22. AnEvangelistDemocrat

I don't know about you, but it already looks as though McCain in playing the role of a defeated underdog. Her seems to have selective memory when it comes to votes like the Bush tax cuts and others in which he has since flip-flopped too.

Seems like he's playing too much catch up too early in the season to me.

June 29, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. Adele

This is a pretty ludicrous charge from a man who has changed his position and public pronouncements on immigration, off-shore drilling, taxes and more. All politicans have proved they flip-flop, so I'd rather they do it on things of lesser importance. I don't care a hill of beans about public financing, but I do care about the economy and energy... issues on which McCain has not kept HIS word. Seems like McCain is the one who can't be trusted!!

June 29, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. Linda K.

Yes, according to the Lexington Sunday paper, McCain and McConnell are good friends now. Birds of a feather. . .

Many of the people of Kentucky don't trust McConnell. We're working to get a Democrat in his seat this November.

June 29, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  25. not important

Sure and the same thing can be said about Phil Gramm.

June 29, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |