June 30th, 2008

Bill Clinton, Obama speak

Bill Clinton and Obama spoke Monday morning.
Bill Clinton and Obama spoke Monday morning.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton and Barack Obama talked by phone Monday morning, representatives of both sides said, as the Democrats sought to quash rumors that Clinton holds a grudge against the man who knocked his wife out of contention for the party's presidential nomination.

Obama called Clinton and they spoke for about 20 minutes Monday morning, the Obama campaign told CNN.

Clinton wants to campaign "with and for" Obama after the hard-fought primary campaign between Obama and Hillary Clinton, Clinton spokesman Matt McKenna said. Clinton "renewed his offer to do whatever he can to ensure Sen. Obama is our next president."

Watch: Obama, Clintons: Hard feelings?

Obama "had a terrific conversation with President Clinton and is honored to have his support in this campaign," Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said.

The chairman of Sen. Hillary Clinton's unsuccessful presidential bid, Terry McAuliffe, said Sunday the former president was angered by media reports suggesting he did not plan to actively support Obama in the general election.

"He was angry that these ridiculous stories were out here, and these supposed close friends of the president - none of the close friends ever got called," McAuliffe said, referring to anonymous sources quoted in some stories. "What happens, a lot of time, is people like to pretend they're close so they can tell the reporters that they're close, but, you know, they're just talking."

McAuliffe said he spoke to Bill Clinton on Sunday morning. The former president recently returned from a trip to Europe.

Obama and Hillary Clinton appeared together Friday in Unity, New Hampshire, where the former first lady said of her ex-rival, "we may have started on different paths ... (but) today our hearts are set on the same destination for America ... to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States."

The two had met the night before at a gathering of Clinton's biggest political donors, at which Clinton delivered the maximum legal donations to Obama's campaign from herself and her husband and Obama and his wife, Michelle, donated the maximum to Clinton's campaign - which remains mired in debt.

But some analysts read bitterness into the fact that Bill Clinton did not appear at either event and had made no personal comments supporting Obama since his wife conceded the nomination. Instead, the former president released a statement through a spokesman saying he "is obviously committed to doing whatever he can and is asked to do" for Obama.

McAuliffe said Bill Clinton merely was waiting in order to avoid taking the public's focus off of Obama and Hillary Clinton's joint appearances.

"Any time that Bill Clinton and Barack Obama speak, it's going to be big news," McAuliffe said. "They wanted this out of the way first. Now that that's over, they will speak. And I'll bet you they speak within the next 24 hours, 48 at the most."

He also joked at rumors that the ex-president remains angry at Obama from the Democratic campaign.

"This man doesn't stay mad," he said. "He can get mad for 24 hours. It's his Irish ancestry."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Hillary for McCain!

If Obama, in fact, is in the driver's seat, why is the Clinton's support so crucial? I can't wait for November when BO becomes history, as in... long-gone...

June 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. Karen from Charlottesville

Obama needs to watch his back on this one. Bill Clinton is a snake.

June 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. Jan, Knoxville, TN

I hope Barack will not do what Al Gore did in 2000 – ignore Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton may have faults but he is still popular and loved by many Americans and is a GREAT CAMPAIGNER!

June 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Peter in PA

Whether this is planned or not, do you all realize that we and the MSMs still talk about democrats. The old man McCain barely gets any air time. He even painted a plane with his "straight talk express" logo from the money borrowed from his wife. Poor McShame!

On another note, CNN, where is the breaking news about McCains failing to pay taxes in CA for his cando for FOUR YEARS. That's right FOUR YEARS. Why aren't you putting that breaking news in your ticker? Huh!

June 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. Obama / Clinton 2008

I am looking forward to the Democrats taking back the White House. I didn't care who won the primaries. I just didn't want McCain.

Today McFlip. Tomorrow McFlop.

Obama / Clinton 08!

June 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Don

Bill does not need to be on Obama's cabinet. Obama now wants the man he painted as a racists' and has connections to lobbyist to campaign for hom because he needs to wins in critical states. That is some kind of change we can believe in. typical politician at work.

June 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Loretta from California

Thank you , Mr. President!!!!!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!

June 30, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. DMAC in ID

I just goes to show that Bill is a big man. After all the crap that was dished out to both Clintons during the primaries he could have said "You are on your own" But he will do what he feels is right for the Country and the Democtatic party.
    I don't like some of the things he did as Pres. but he was still a great Pres. Now he shows how tough he is. GOOD FOR HIM!!!!

June 30, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Robert Deveau

It's for show, duh?,you probably think wrestling is real too, hehe.
    I think Obama is fooling us, I dont trust him.
    I dont like being called a racist for saying anything bad about him

June 30, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  10. Where the info?

This post doesn’t say squat. We need more details, I could have written this and I didn’t hear anything from the Obama campaign.

June 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. Giovanni

Whatever...

WE LOVE HILLARY
    WE LOVE BILL
    We love our freedom.
    We would vote for either of them,
    BUT NOT MCCAIN.

June 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. Arturo Sierra

Hey LJ, Bil is not kissing butt...what are you sicko...I would use a better word but I'm afraid it won't get printed.
    It's people like you, that think you know politics or the Clintons, that make me sick!
    When Obama loses in November, then we will know how big of a fantasy this whole thing was....so show some respect to OUR former President and OUR present Senator from NY.
    HILLARY DEMOCRATS FOR McCAIN!!!!!!

June 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Was a Democrat-Now an Independent

For all those people who say that only Rebublicans pretending to be Democrats are posting as angry Hillary supporters, you are kidding yourselves. I am a 36 year old white female. I have been a Democrat since I was 18 and old enough to vote. I have voted straight Democrat since then. I have not EVER cast a vote for any Republican for any office. EVER. I have left the Democratic Party to become an Independent. And for all those people who say,"how can you possibly support McCain when his positions are diametrically opposed to Hillary's?" I must disagree. Barack Obama has flip flopped on so many issues since the GE started, I am not joking when I say I can't keep up. He will change his position from Monday to Tuesday by licking his finger, holding it up, and trying to determine which way the wind blows.

June 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. CITIZENS FOR TRUTH

ONE THING MOST PEOPLE FORGET IS THAT

BILL CLINTON DIRECTED A WAR AGAINST

A BETTER EQUIPPED NATION ( YUGOSLAVIA),

WHICH WAS QUICK & SWIFT, WITH NO LOSE OF AMERICAN LIFE,

NOT THE SLOPPY WORK WE HAVE IN IRAQ & AFGHANISTAN.

BOTH ARE UNSTABLE & OUR OBJECTIVES WILL BE

REALIZED IN ABOUT A 100 YEARS. BY THEN OUR ECONOMY

WILL RESEMBLE ONE OF THE STAN NATIONS.

June 30, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Mike - Texas

How many times did Bill torpedo Hillary's campaign???

June 30, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. interesting

PUMA.

Well I guess Obama had to kiss some tail since his patriotism speech did not go over well after General Clark blatantly attacked McCain who actually served in our military.

June 30, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Saad from NJ

I love Bill and for the sake of our country, I want Obama to win the White House but if their conversation was as short as this story on the teaser, I mean the ticker, they both suck..... LOL!

June 30, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Elitist

Bill: Hey, you called?
    Barack: Oh, are you alright? I got worried when I didn't hear from you...
    Bill: Yeah, well, you know how Hillary gets about me making too many calls.
    Barack: I missed you so much!
    Bill: Yeah, about that... I heard you decided on your cabinet. What position do I get?
    Barack: Um, well, er... You know I love you, right? When are you going to make a public statement–
    Bill: Sorry to cut you off, I gotta run, Hillary wants to use the phone.
    Barack: Don't you have your own phone? Can't she wait? WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO DIFFICULT! DOESN'T SHE KNOW I NEED YOU?
    Bill:

June 30, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. NC voter

Makes sense. After an Obama presidency causes the country to crash and burn beyond recognition, folks will forget anything negative they might ever have felt about Clinton's legacy

June 30, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Delegate from California

It is funny on how much the Media and the Democratic Party needs President Clinton in order for the Party to win in November.

I have respect for President Clinton and Senator Clinton and I am very ashamed of the Democratic Party hypocracy in taken the nomination from the person that was best qualified to take us out of the economic mess.

I am a life long Democrat and I was upset when we lost the white house in 2000 and 2004, I feel that the Democratic Party learn from the Republicans the trick on how to steal as they stold the nomination from Senator Clinton, I just hope the Democratic Party leaders don't cry if it happends again in 2008.

Delegate from California, Hillary Clinton 2012 !

June 30, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  21. Farrell, Houston, Tx

SORRY REPUBLICANS, YOU AGAIN UNDERESTIMATED THE UNITY OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY. FORMER PRES. BILL CLINTON BELONGS TO US AND WE ARE PROUD TO SAY IT SO LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED.

June 30, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. NAMANDE - MA

WILL NEVER GET ENOUGH OF PRESIDENT CLINTON!! I LOVE YOU FOR EVER!! ALTHOUGH WE HAVE THE WRONG NOMINEE THIS TIME AROUND, YOUR EFFORTS TO HELP HIM WILL BE APPRECIATED

June 30, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. Obama all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad to see that this issue is now behind them and they can get to the real issue, DEMOCRATS RECLAIMING THE WHITE HOUSE. But Bill needs to remember that inorder for his legacy to bounce back and stay strong he has to stop acting like a spoiled child and buck up. Bill and Hillary have been doing a song and dance making Obama come to them and not doing the honorable thing and going and embracing Obama. It only shows that Mr. Obama is about bringing foes together and working as friends to make this country and world a better place.

Not screwing it up like McInsane and the nuts from Haliburton and W

June 30, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. Donna

Glad they spoke on the phone and away from the camera..that's all we need to know at this moment..there are some things/relationships that need to be nutured away from the spotlight...this is one of them..I'm sure CNN and other media outlets are trying to get the taped conversations right now...

Everyone knows that regardless of how big a fool Bill acted, he is still a DEMOCRATIC ICON and his support is greatly needed in this election..he has major clout and major ties to MONEY....he can raise MILLIONS by holding a few fundraisers...Obama is not an idiot..regardless of how much folks want him to be!!!!

June 30, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  25. mitchell hussein martin

obama is an honorable man.

June 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |