June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Saad from NJ

I've really started liking her....

June 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  2. McSameMcCain on myspace

No worries Michelle, John McCain can't stay awake for either. And this is after he takes the weekends off to rest.

June 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  3. Ariana

Forget what people say. Be yourself, be outspoken. Enough of useless good-for-nothing first ladies. Be another Hilary!

June 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  4. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

I beg to differ with Michelle Obama! She and Barack Obama are ABSOLUTELY interesting. I have begun reading Obama's autobiography entitled "Dreams From My Father". It tells all about how his maternal grandmother was part Cherokee Indian. His maternal grandfather was Scotch-Irish. It is a fascinating story of Barack Obama's life!! Once I stop reading it, I can't put it down. I highly recommend it to all Obama supporters.

June 30, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Democrats Unite!!!

That's why we love you guys, Michelle!

I wish I could say the same for "Bubba"...

Obama/Clinton 2008

June 30, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. democrat in the white house

EVERY DAY PEOPLE, DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE,THIS IS THE KIND OF FAMILY WE NEED IN THE WHITE HOUSE, A FAMILY WHO MAY JUST BRING THE GOVERNMENT BACK TO THE PEOPLE !!!!!!

OBAMA/CLARK 08!!!

June 30, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Will in Richmond, VA

To all 'Values Voters':

Who matches up with what you envision the higher standard of family values to be: Barack Obama and Michelle or John McCain and Cindy?

June 30, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Carmen

Michelle is Yuck...

June 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. Dustin

Ah! Amazing how even a good natured article on a candidate can still become a someone else's soapbox for political slant. I guess there's more than one way to hijack a political ticker thread...

June 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. S Callahan

You don't need to soften my view of Mrs. Obama..i like her..she is articulate, she has a kind spirit yet is strong, and she sets a good example of family first..that's enough for me.... I love that she has shared her intimate moments of time for play (dinner or movie and sleep), i think that script plays out in my home as well. :-)

June 30, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Obama Supporter from FL

I think Michelle is great. It always made me laugh when people accused Barack of being sexist, because he is married to such a strong, intelligent woman – it made no sense.

June 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. mcCain 08

Maybe after cindy gets too old, I can start cheating on her too, like i did my first wife.

June 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. Clinton/McCain

I find it rather interesting that they are friends with terrorists and spent 20 years listening to a racist pastor. I wonder what else there is that we don't know about the Obamas? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough :)

June 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Olivia

Who cares about Michelle and Barack boring lives. I cannot stomach this woman. Everyting I see her I get heartburn. Michelle is a racist is disguise. And as for you Ariana please do not compare Michelle to Hillary. She couldn't even hold a candle to MS. HILLARY CLINTON.

June 30, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Belle2

I guess CNN couldn't find anything else about Obama to post!

June 30, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  16. Casey in CA.

I think this woman is awesome. She's intelligent, family-oriented and beautiful to boot. I look forward to seeing her as First Lady.

America, free your mind and the rest will follow. Be color-blind, don't be so shallow.

June 30, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. Independent Voter

Just one of girls. The one who rode affirmative action to a degree from Princeton and then took the first highly public opportunity to let us know she's never been proud of her country until it gave her the chance to line her pockets with big bucks. A good old fashioned American family on the take.

Just like Greedy Tot, who's raised 1/4 BILLION DOLLARS and still wants even more from HC supporters. Why? Because he backed away from his famous pledge to take federal funds, driving up the cost of US elections beyond anyone's wildest nightmares and setting back campaign financing reform 50 years.

Two Phonies for the Price of Who Knows How Many Phonies $1/4 billion will buy!

June 30, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. Watermann

I really would like to see both of them. Barak and Michelle on their trip to Germany. People over here love and respect them. A new generation compared with all these old war heroes. "Times are gonna changing"

June 30, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  19. ProundToBeDemocrat

Do not worry about anything Michell you are smart, beautiful and outspoke we like you that way do not change for anybody. Republicans can not stand strong woman I would like you to show those idiots how strong you are they will get intimidated and lose the race then obama will be our 44th president.

June 30, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  20. Shawn - GA

He wants to be president of the US however he can't stay awake for dinner and a movie??? Guess we know who won't be answering the phone at 3am.

June 30, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. CWhite

She is going to be a great first lady.

June 30, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Chris

Where's Cindy's speech or rebuttal? lol

June 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. Obama / Clinton 2008

You go Michelle!

Don't let the GOP paint you as something you are not. If they had their way, people would be afraid that you might be a warlord from the planet Zumago who is here to destroy all humans.

Obama / Clinton 08!

June 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. ang

I don't care how they re-tool her re-structure her-of soften her.

She is a racist plain and simple.

Her Princeton thesis, staying with Rev. Wright for over 20 years.

Frist time pround of her country in her adult life.

shoul;d I go on. there is plenty more.

I have switched from democrat to independent. shame on ur party for not doing what is right for this country.

Vetting this couple. I will never vote for Obama. McCain will get my vote>

June 30, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  25. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

I'd like to have the Obama's as neighbors.

June 30, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |