June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. LarryH WI

Michelle obama is opening a can of worms by campaigning with and for her husband. Obama can do enough damage to his own campaigning without the help of his loose lipped wife. McCain and his supporters should have some real fun with these two now.

June 30, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Lynn

Welcome to the new molded Michelle. I would not say boring with friends that you keep. Oh, I forgot they got thrown under the bus.

June 30, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Denise From Texas

Oliva, you are a racist fool.
    There is no proof that the Obamas are racist at all. Don't you people get sick and tired of making the same old tired acusations that have no merit. What have they done personally that would make any half way intelligent person conclude that they are indeed racist. Of corse not, just what other people have said and your hatred for Black people. For goodness sake, this man was raised by white people, isn't that enough. Get with the issues, war, economy, a vision of a better america. That's what's important

June 30, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Theresa

This presidential race is becoming more like Jerry Springer's show. Throwing insult at each other. If they ever meet face to face they might throwing punch at each other.
    Oh well, if one candidate is a war-monger and the other is a puppet who can blame their supporters to behave like that.

June 30, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. Marge Hibbing Mn

Slurring America, writing thesis flaming white Americans, oh no that's boring. What in the devil would she consider exciting. The videos of her jumping up and down at the church she attended with obama and really flaming white Americans.

June 30, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Anita, Virgin islands

Careful haters, you're dissing our next FIRST LADY–get over it, no amount of hate can change the fact she's an accomplished self made WOMAN.

A change is commminnnnnng. Yeppy!

Thank the Lord.

June 30, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. Wolff

That is much better than saying how she isn't proud of America and whining about being treated unfairly... I guess she finally decided to listen to her advisers for once.

I'm really sure her life are the same as the rest of us ... $100 million in the bank really doesn't make much difference.

June 30, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Nannette

She's a wonderful woman, and will make our country proud. I am so excited about voting in November. I'm planning four fundraisers for Barack, which will culminate in an election night social.

Love Michelle, love Barack, love America–can't wait until November.

Obama 08

June 30, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Charlotte

I guess her handlers are trying to soften up her rhetoric. Money well spent I'd say.

June 30, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Helene

I find IMMENSELY interesting. Her background, her education, her articulate way of speaking, her strength, her humour. I can't wait to have her as First Lady !

June 30, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. Tom

I don't know why I hate Michelle Obama... Its that old first impressions thing with her I just have this really bad feeling with her... I was a Hillary supporter I liked Bill my life was great during Bills time in office and I would have voted him in again if I could.

I just going to write in Hillary and vote local this time, I don't want to be like the people who voted for Bush and regret it down the road and I have a gut feeling that we are going to get another Bush with Obama just a far left Bush.

June 30, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. FROM HILLARY TO MCCAIN

oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh puh-lease!!!!!!!

i guess her PR people are finally trying to combat her elitism.. doesn't fool me!

June 30, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. PEGGY

Carmen

YUK AND YUK TO YOU SCUM BAG

WHAT, YOU SOUND LIKE AN OLD TIMER
    ARE YOU 80 YEARS OLD?

June 30, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  14. Eagle

If you don't have anything good to say about Obama or Michelle, don't write your silly emails. How can you say you hate the woman, and you don't even know her. You hate what she stands for.

June 30, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  15. NOOBAMA

IT'S SCARY TO THINK THAT THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES CAN'T STAY AWAKE FOR DINNER AND A MOVIE. I GUESS HE'LL SLEEP THROUGH THE 3AM CALL. IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER CONSIDERING HE HAS NO IDEA HOW TO RUN THIS COUNTRY ASLEEP OR AWAKE. GO TO SLEEP AND DREAM OF BEING PRESIDENT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT IS A DREAM. DREAM ABOUT NOT BEING A RACIST AND CRY BABY BECAUSE HE IS BOTH OF THOSE AS WELL

June 30, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  16. Ron Feuer

My "view" of Barry Obama and his wife is one of seeing them as ordinary intellectual people who would have a very hard time representing the rest of the country. Albeit each is very intelligent with great locution and diction in each's speaking ability, can this man really be expected to do the work of being a competent president? Look at the last eight years, when this country was really "BEHIND THE EIGHT BALL" with a putz occupying the Whitehouse...had this country with its short memory been capable with the mistake that it made between 2000 and 2004, iw would not have elected the moron in the Whithouse for a second term. Now we stand to elect another person that at this time I reiterate, is very smart, but can he run the show? I doubt it. After a year of Obama, we are going to see that we repeated the mistakes of 2000 and 2004 for a third time. Everyone knows that after three strikes, you are out. I hope that the country will not be struck out at this time...the bottom of the ninth...Ron Feuer

June 30, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. Down with Obama

LMAO They sure have some interesting friends!!!

June 30, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  18. Loretta from California

I whole heartedly disagree with you Michelle.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!

June 30, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  19. IndependentGA

Rosey.... Losers cant lose fair and square. Losers only lose when they've been cheated. That's the definition of loser. You know that one kid, who has a football. His team loses, he takes his ball and goes home. But winners compete... and they accept the results reguardless. I voted for Huckabee. Although he won my state, he lost the primaries. Hat's off to McCain. Now its time for the super bowl.
    Obama vs. McCain... Looking at the breakdown, they both have strengths and flaws.
    Question is: Do we want the same ole same ole, or do we want a new direction?
    Hopefully, whoever gets in, will tackle the serious problems we face as Americans.

This is for the people here with intellect:
    It's up to us to decide the direction that we want our country to go.

This is for the children:
    Grow up! Life is about competing. You cant win them all and you definetely wont lose them all. The point is that you compete and act like the adults you claim that you are.

June 30, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  20. Michelle & Barack For America

I disagree Michelle, you are exciting. America will be a better place for having you and Barack serve our country.

Kudos to you two, and I can't wait to vote in November.

June 30, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  21. Erika

So many bitter people on this blog. You should not take your personal failures and insecuties out on others. Moreover, "hate" is a terrible word. You should not use it to describe someone. Anyone with "values" would know better.

June 30, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  22. benvictor

Remember, this is the same one who wasn't proud of America until recently. This after she and her other half got the best education the country has to offer, became millionaires. I cannot imagine someone like this wanting to be in the White House if America did not mean anything to her until now. What changed? It is time for Free Ride and his bride to be vetted fully. There is simply too much unknown about these two.

June 30, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. RJ from NJ

Really, Michelle? Uninteresting?
    I for one have found the backgrounds of you and Hussein most interesting. And I cannot wait for it to get even MORE interesting when the video of your "Whitey" speech comes to light, not to mention Hussein's crack use and gay sex shenanigans while he was a state senator. But of course, this is all rumor and hearsay, swirling around for many weeks now. And so verrrry uninteresting. LOL

June 30, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. Exciting First Lady

Michelle,

You underestimate yourself. I was stuck in George Bush World, where nothing pained me more than to think about one more boring election, filled with canned speeches and double talk. Barack changed that, as he will change America.

Now I'm overly excited about this campaign and this election. I can't wait to vote for Barack, and I can't wait to call you my first lady.

Obama 08

June 30, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  25. Lim

Ah... thus continues another remake of a presidential candidate by
    his wife.

And the gullible voters swallow it all up!

June 30, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |