June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Easy Rider

I am sure so many of us hard-working Americans can relate to Cindy McCain and her fortune.

Put someone in the White House that can relate to the little people.

We need a real family in there.

June 30, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. NELSON Colorado Springs, Co

A very good job Mrs Michelle Obama keep is REAL. Go Obama

June 30, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. Beverly, Houston

nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

June 30th, 2008 1:33 pm ET

The real truth is the both of you are the 2 most boring and insipid people on the planet…
    ______________________________________________________

Exactly what is 'not boring' to you?

June 30, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. Scott102215

Why is this even an article. I suppose someone, somewhere would care. This is just more political maneuvering from the Obama's. They are suppose to be about change and not the same old Washington politics but ever time I turn around I see business as usual. To me they are both transparent. I really wish we could get the press to focus on the candidates and the issues.

June 30, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |