June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. HOPE IS COMING

I LOVE THIS FAMILY.............................

INTERESTING....................

LOVING.......................

HUMBLE...............

GOD FEARING...................

THE OBAMA'S OUR NEXT 1ST FAMILY.........THANK YOU GOD

OBAMA/08

June 30, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Last Honest man

Finally the truth...from a member of the Obama squad

June 30, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Well Informed Voter

Michelle and Obama are very simple people who have worked hard to be where they are today. She wears simple dresses, and very little jewery yet, she looks great.

June 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Lucas, Nashville TN

She's SO RIGHT. Get a life.

June 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  5. Little Lulu

That makes me feel really great!! As young as they are and they can't stay awake for dinner AND a movie and can only do one or the other??????? Come on now. What are they going to do if we have one big crisis over here and one big crisis over there????? Just take care of one and let the other go until they wake up?

Believe it or not, sweetie – this is a 24/7 job and if you can't stay awake, then go to Chicago, go to bed and grow up. Wait until you can take off the training pants, stay awake and then we'll see if you can handle the White House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just aren't ready yet. Sorry – it's a Nobama here!!

June 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  6. enomisa

No you are not interesting, that's for sure. But your husband sure does think that he is important and all ears should listen.

When do you apologize to Hillary for your hateful comments- including that you would have to think about voting for her were she to be the nominee of the party.

Many democrats are re-thinking whether they will now vote for your husband.

We are still waiting for your public apology to Hill- and for you to fork over your $2300- like hubby Bill did for your hubby.

June 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

I like her

June 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  8. pp

A good person is a good person, whatever he/she looks or speaks, Stop being materialistic n with no real value for human kind in u? For u Gandhi was an idiot, never dressed well, shameless right? But he found a bigger reason for his life n for what he died, to free a country n the dream for its future what we realise now after 60 years.

We shud introspect n know what we are really , what we think and why we think so/

We all are human are fr sure, but why evolved fm monkeys to human ? because we cud think, appreciate some ones values, n teach our kids same.

Demening a person for how he/she looks or is elite or sophisticated shows snobbery which comes out of one's lack of self respect n values n love for fellow human.

We all are kids of God, human or animals or trees or flowers or no body in this unimaginable vast universe , n we fight n deride each other, sigh....people get some life please for the sake of yr creator? pls? will u?

June 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. StlMan

I do not understand all the interest in the wives or husbands of the candidates unless they make ridiculous comments (or public actions)to the press. They are not being elected.

June 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. Obama/Hillary 08

I wonder if Joe Liberman is the that is going to launche the new terror attaack. Please stop scaring people for political reason. America, it is not true no terror attack in 2009. If there is one Joe Lieberman and the republican party is behind it.

Leave Your Comment

June 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. karen-phoenix

Love this women. Such a good influence for our young families just starting. No divorce, no drugs, no insulting and NO MORE Barbie dolls!! I want someone in the White House who can relate to me and my children!!!! Average America!!! Who knows what its like to do laundry, take kids to school, work a job at the same time. AND NO MORE Barbie dolls!!!! I work in a preschool now and I am soooo sick of every little girl wanting to be Barbie–I'm waiting for the day when they go to high school and want a breast implant and face lift!!!

June 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  12. Ms D

The Obama's are everyday folks. What they need to do is interview Cindy and keep her in the news like they do Michelle!!

June 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  13. Patricia

Who cares whether you're boring or not. I'll take the biggest bore on earth as president as long as he/she is qualified: experienced, accomplished, and wise. That's why I voted for Hillary and why I'll vote for McCain, as boring as he is, he knows how to get the job done and he has decades of real life and political experience to draw on.

June 30, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. Cleavette

How can you be proud of a country that elected Bush twice. (okay, appointed him once and elected him once)

June 30, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. Pondering

LOL-so if he can't stay awake for both dinner and a movie how is he going to answer that call at 3AM?

June 30, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. Debby

I agree your not interesting and you also don't think before you open your mouth. How the heck are both of you going to run a country if you can't stay awake???????????????

June 30, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. Dont' Care

I don't care much about the wives of the candidates. I don't care about Michelles boring life, or if McCains wife needs a makeover accoridng to some.

I care about, health care, social security, gas prices, food prices, terriorism and homeland security.

The wives mean absolutely nothing in the large scheme of things. Frankly, I am totally bored with this election and cannot wait until its over. Do not want Obama, wanted Hillary and so I will vote for McCain. For all of you who think Hillary supportes are wrong for voting for McCain I say this: Mind your business – if we do not want your candidate of choice, that is no concern of yours. You think we are huriting ourselves by voting for McCain and we think you are hurting the Country by voting for Obama. One of them will be President, that is for sure. As far as I am concerned, McCain knows his stuff and that is who I will vote for. If you don't like it Obama supporters TOUGH

June 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. Obama is scum

She is one reason why more than 50% of his own party just can not get behind the hateful race-baiting, insulting Obama.

Because they feel better than the Americans who they want to have vote for them.

Some unity that is.

Hate, insult, demean, mock and ridicule HRC and all of her supporters.

Way to go Michelle.

June 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Stacy

Michelle is real, and I love her for that. We don't need a Barbie looking McCain who was born with silverspoon in mouth.... who has probably never had to go without the basic needs.
    I would love to have my daughter see Michelle as first lady. She made herself who she is and that is what I want my daughter to see!
    REAL IS GOOD!!!!

June 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Karla

Oh what ? Did someone slip her the hint that 'telling whitey you hate all of them and the United States and will do everything to undermine both if your husbands elected' didn't win you the praise you were looking for !!?? ....let's replace all that with " I shop at Target" ! that will get all the 'shallow minded, give everything away that we all work for (those of us that actually w-o-r-k) liberal democrats going...eeeuuuu, she's so down to earrrrttthhhh...IIIII shop at Tarrrrrgeett toooo....your gullibilty makes me sick to my stomach.

June 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Ian

That's what I've been saying all along.

June 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  22. TEXAN

AND....this is why they will make the " PERFECT FIRST FAMILY !!!! They are both down to earth, hard working, caring and understanding people. They know " first hand" the worries and struggles of the American people. They have been there, done that and have managed to get ahead. They are our country's chance to become a BETTER America for ALL ! WE WELCOME THEM AS OUR FIRST FAMILY !!!!!!!

June 30, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. Patrick Henry

The DNC finishing school handlers have done a good job.

She is so slick you could almost forget all the other stuff she said.

She's so alert and on target. It's hard to believe she sat in Trinity Church listening to the muck raking and acid rhetoric against former President's and the white population in general for over 20 years–and never knew it was going on.

I liked it better when we thought she was just dumb. No I know she's smart–and lying.

June 30, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. Joe in NJ

Don't forget that everyone thought the Clintons were down to Earth too.

June 30, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |