June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Cynthia

You all call it a makeov3er – I think that America is just getting a chance to really get to know her. She's someone you would have over to your house for coffee or tea or a play date with yours and their children. I know there are many haters (Republican and the like) out there who no matter what she says or does will have something negative to say. Trust, you all don't want any additional conversation about Cindy McCain.

June 30, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. Ugly as sin

Be yourself- please.

That is the real show of mispeaking.

You are a hateful, mean woman- your comments about the Clintons have been disrespectful and inappropriate.

Keep it up so that your hubby can lose in NOV.

June 30, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. Carol

Just a regular little cupcake, isn't she? . Um, gag me.

Why do politicians think that we all suffer from short term memory loss?

We've all seen and heard you in action, dear.

June 30, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Mike in NYC

Sandy wrote:

"Where are all these folks coming up with money to give him, when most are supposedly so poor????"

From "progressive" whites with money. So much for "institutional racism."

June 30, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. JOANN FROM NEW YORK

TO; SHAWN, CARMEN, OLIVIA, BELLE 2, INDEPENDENT VOTER, AND, WEBSTER208, BILL IL, JONATHAN, TONY...

DON'T BE JEALOUS CAUSE YOU ARE NOT INTELLIGENT AND ARTICULATE AS MICHELLE & OBAMA WHO PULLED THEMSELVES BY THEIR OWN BOOT STRAP AND GOT WHERE THEY ARE TODAY....

WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE'S EDUCATION & OCCUPATION? WE ARE TIRED OF YOU NEGATIVE, IGNANT ( AND I PURPOSELY SPELLED IT WRONG, JUST TO MAKE MY POINT) PEOPLE ON THE BLOGS....

I HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY CHILDREN YOU ARE RAISING TO BE NEGATIVE..NEGATIVITY BREEDS NEGATIVITY...MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL....CAUSE GOD TAKES CARE OF EVERYONE & EVERYTHING IN HIS TIME.....SO WHEN YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER BRINGS HOME A BLACK PERSON WHO THEY LOVE & WANT TO BE WITH....YOU'LL UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF WHAT GOES AROUND COMES RIGHT BACK AROUND......I'LL KEEP YOU PEOPLE IN MY PRAYERS.....

OBAMA '08

June 30, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. joanna

This country is in a heap 'o trouble, boy – fer shore!!!!
    They walk among us – and Vote! :-O

June 30, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. Emma, San Jose, CA

To Clinton/McCain: Your comment is empty rhetoric and designed to appeal to you alone.

Obama/not Clinton 2008

June 30, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Chris

Enomisa – Obama AND Michelle both contributed $2300 to Hillary Clinton... Hillary and Bill later that day also contributed to Obama's campaign

I wish news was actually heard.

June 30, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  9. Too late for unity

Politics has never known a meaner, uglier woman.

Her comments about Hillary were insulting and demeaning.

Democratic CANDIDATES and their wives have never before been so spitefully vitriolic and hateful towards other democrats.

Your behavior and comments have been shameful and have harmed the hope of any party unity.

June 30, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. ben

OBAMA and his chosen running mate for 08. MICHELLE as 1st Lady for 08.

June 30, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Emma, San Jose, CA

Carmen – I do not share your view that Michelle is Yuck! She is a remarkable woman and will be a terrific first lady.

June 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Shawn - GA

"Shawn get over yourself. I am sure after well over 8hr days 7 days a week you wouldn’t feel like both going out to dinner and a movie. McCain can’t work more than 5 days a week, what do you have to say about him answering that 3am call?"

Shows how you just read and beliveve and do not think... McCain doesn't CAMPAIN on the weekend he does plenty of other work. Read the whole article next time. THINK for yourself, stop being sheep.

June 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. butt ugly and hateful

NOT the cats meow... more like the other end of an animal.

June 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. CNN

I don't care much about the wives of the candidates. I don't care about Michelles boring life, or if McCains wife needs a makeover accoridng to some.

I care about, health care, social security, gas prices, food prices, terriorism and homeland security.

The wives mean absolutely nothing in the large scheme of things. Frankly, I am totally bored with this election and cannot wait until its over. Do not want Obama, wanted Hillary and so I will vote for McCain. For all of you who think Hillary supportes are wrong for voting for McCain I say this: Mind your business – if we do not want your candidate of choice, that is no concern of yours. You think we are huriting ourselves by voting for McCain and we think you are hurting the Country by voting for Obama. One of them will be President, that is for sure. As far as I am concerned, McCain knows his stuff and that is who I will vote for. If you don't like it Obama supporters TOUGH

June 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Linda from Prescott AZ

What an intelligent and warm woman. She will be a fabulous first lady.

June 30, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  16. CiCi

This woman's entire goal in life is to live in the Whtie house, she thinks she deserves it and has said as much. Real people are real people and she has shown her real self before she reaized it would hamper her husband's campain. She DESERVES to be in the White House, and FOR THE FIRST TIME she is proud of the US? That conbined with the questionable morals and religious beliefs speaks volumes. Barak Hussain Obama has little experience, lots of red flags going up and still the American people are so desperate to get out of their political mess they think he offers hope. He offers nothing but promotion for himself, his family, and anyone else who is financing this campaign. WE SHALL SEE JUST HOW STUPID VOTERS ARE WITH THIS ELECTION

June 30, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. bernj

Good lady. A real woman. A real partner. Obama is a lucky man and America is the better for it.

June 30, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  18. Travis Johns

Oh – Okay... Your husband is running for President... "we aren't interesting"?
    Yeah, and we aren't stupid
    Hillary 08
    or McCain 08

June 30, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  19. Stacy

Obama IS picking up Hillary supporters. The republicans are using this mask of disgruntled Hillary supporters to play the role of anger towards Obama. There may be some 'hold outs" but I am confident that when it comes to issues her supporters will want to see a democrat in the white house. I think McCain is sad that us dems are going the united route. So he sends out his army of trolls to spread hate on posts like this.

June 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. Michelle

This is a lame attempt to appear like "regular guys" and attract
    the blue collar vote.

Sorry, Michelle. Regular guys don't help slumlords like your husband did.

June 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. JER FROM VT

I wish I was smart enough to get into Princeton, and smart enough to graduate. Only in America, can the term elitist carry a negative connotation. Let's get real, we do not vote for first Lady's. And, Hillary is not running First Lady. It's time for H's supporters to not take out their disappointment on Michelle. She represents everything you are proud of. It's her husband who beat her, and H's husband who contributed to her defeat.

June 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. Independent guy

Apology to Hillary ??? For what? Obama doesn't need to apologize to anybody. I'm an Independent but this family is a regular family to me. I think alot of these folks need to get over their hatred and anger they hold within themselves.

June 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Shawn - GA

JOANN FROM NEW YORK....

I was not spewing hatred like you are. You know nothing about any of us, you have no idea of our backgrounds or anything else. I never said one word about the many personal things I could have in regard to this woman.

Tell you what, why don't you shut me and the other non sheep up... tell us WHAT Mr. Obama plans to do, not some flowery speach... real substance. For the record I was an Obama supporter however I got tired of waiting for the substance. The country will go the same way.

June 30, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. Erik on Wall St.

To those that think Michelle is beautiful: it might be time to get your eyes checked! Either that or you have some awefully low standards....

June 30, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. She can't hide it like He can

She shows the REAL Obama.

Barack has had years of hiding the nasty evil person within.

But his campaign of race-baiting and insults and mocking and jeering- sure gave it away.

Now they try to get Michelle to learn how to hide the ugly.

Can it be done?